11 replies to this topic

#1 KeepGood

KeepGood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:50 PM

Hi all,

I've been trying out installing some homebrew modchips into some xbox's lately, and so far none of them have worked.

I've tried installing them on a version 1.1 and a 1.4. I've used many different EEPROM's and FlashROM's (all 2mbit). I used the diagrams here in xbox scene. I've checked and double check the wiring and it is correct and nothing is shorted (I'm a veteran with a soldering iron).

One thing I'm not 100% about is 'Link to 32' or point 33 (on the 1.4). I assume that point connects to pin32 on the EPROM/Flash (as a power supply)?.

Does anyone know if there are any connections that need to be made other than what is shown on the install diagrams here on xbox scene?

And what happens with D0 in this kind of install. I see the D0 point on the bottom of the board is used but how does the unit know which bios chip to use when wired like this?

Cheers.

#2 nickm

nickm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br />Xbox and other game consoles<br />most technology
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(KeepGood @ Jun 17 2005, 10:01 AM)
Hi all,

I've been trying out installing some homebrew modchips into some xbox's lately, and so far none of them have worked.

I've tried installing them on a version 1.1 and a 1.4.  I've used many different EEPROM's and FlashROM's (all 2mbit).  I used the diagrams here in xbox scene.  I've checked and double check the wiring and it is correct and nothing is shorted (I'm a veteran with a soldering iron).

One thing I'm not 100% about is 'Link to 32' or point 33 (on the 1.4).  I assume that point connects to pin32 on the EPROM/Flash (as a power supply)?.

Does anyone know if there are any connections that need to be made other than what is shown on the install diagrams here on xbox scene?

And what happens with D0 in this kind of install.  I see the D0 point on the bottom of the board is used but how does the unit know which bios chip to use when wired like this?

Cheers.

View Post

i am also wondering about this. i havent tried this yet, but i have some old motherboards around with an award bios chip. instead of buying the chips, could i use the bios chip (i dont need the motherboards, there ancient). i just want to flash the bios over the current award bios. do i have to use a special bios, or just x2, evox ect. and which picture would i follow here http://www.xbox-scen...d_diagrams.html
pics of chip

user posted image
user posted image

thanks

#3 KeepGood

KeepGood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

Yeah thats what I've done. I had a load of old motherboards lying around.

Peel the award sticker off your chip and find out what kind it is. As long as its 2mbit or larger it (in theory) should work.

You can use a motherboard and hotswap the bios chip to flash an xbox bios into it if you dont have a programmer.

I've tried many different chips and had no luck with it so far but alot of people say they have had success using this method.

If you arent sure what storage capacity the chip is check www.datasheetarchive.com and search for the chip part number. The datasheet will tell you everything you need to know.

If you try this mod, please post back your results. smile.gif

#4 KeepGood

KeepGood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

I've came to the conclusion the homebrew diagram here on xbox scene doesn't work on a 1.4 lol.

I've tried 4 different chips. Checked, double checked and checked the soldering again with no joy.

Has anyone else got this working?

I read on a forum that another guy had tried it a few times and it didn't work so he used another diagram and had success.

Does anyone know where I can find another diagram?

Cheers

#5 cubistproject

cubistproject

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

Are you sure that it's not a 1.5?

Test for ground and power.

#6 KeepGood

KeepGood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

I take it you mean ground and power on the LPC bus?

Its the 29 wire install I'm trying out. sad.gif

#7 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:15 PM

I think there is a new set of rom points for the 1.4, anyway I've installed it and they work so get proper diagrams. You are correct 1.5 has nothing to do with this mod. Also D0 is data line 0 for the tsop and has a homebrew connection. The link to 32 spot disables the onboard tsop by tying #CE high if I'm not mistaken.

#8 nickm

nickm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

My chip says
AIMTEL
AT29C010A
12OC

the websit says its a 1-Megabit (128K x 8) 5-volt Only Flash Memory

http://www.datasheet...010A&sType=part

might it still work since its 1 megabit
also, what bios do i use. will x2 or evox do, or do i need a special one for thios mod

#9 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:25 AM

that aint big enough it has to be 020 or 002. 2mbit

#10 nickm

nickm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(hippo @ Jun 21 2005, 10:36 PM)
that aint big enough it has to be 020 or 002. 2mbit

View Post

damn. all my old mobos have a 1mbit chip.
and what bios do i need to flash onto chip?

#11 KeepGood

KeepGood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:15 AM

nickm: When looking for chips remember to take into account what scale they run on. As hippo says, the xbox needs 2mb chips, not 2MB chips. When looking at flash chips/eproms etc, the scale is in 'bits' not 'bytes'.

When you see something saying the xbox bios is 256k, that is 256 kilobytes or 2 megabits smile.gif

If you are looking through mainboards for old bios chips to use you will probably find most of them are 1mb. They started using 2mb bios chips on the higher end BX mainboards. Boards around the i810 and above chipsets used 2mb chips alot more.

Remember to have a look on old graphics cards, scsi or raid cards for flash chips aswell. Or pretty much anything that has its own bios/firmware. I found a 2mb flash chip inside a cd-writer the other day. And remember that hard drives have a firmware too wink.gif

You will find alot of the chips will come in a PLCC package (the square chip with the cut in one corner). You can use these aswell, these (internally) are exactly the same as the DIL (like the award chip posted in the picture above) chips, just have a look for the datasheet for the chip, it will show you the pinout.

For anyone who doesn't know here is a little info on finding chips...

Chips with these numbers are EPROMs or EEPROMs...

27Cxxx
28Cxxx

Chips with these number are flash memory based chips...

29Cxxx
29EExxx
29Fxxx
49Fxxx

Chips with a small glass window on them need to be erased via UV list. Others are usually electrically erasable. Again check the datasheets if you arent sure.

Well I think I've dribbled on for long enough smile.gif

#12 nickm

nickm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:59 AM

ok well i havent got any 2mbit chips. i have had a look around in all old pc parts and all the chips are smaller and have less pins. i will see if i can find any. thanks for for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users