• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tneltn

Tneltn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

Hey, I am having a problem with my xbox scratching the crap out of my disks. I figured the best way to fix it would be to get a new disk drive. I was wondering if a normal dvd drive for a pc would work in my xbox (i have the stock xbox dashboard). Also could you give me any suggestions on what to get.

thanks

#2 Geeksys

Geeksys

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:24 AM

i would woork but you would need a y power cable so you can power it on

but the xbox power supply is not cut out to handle powering the mobo the hdd and the dvd

it handles the mobo and the hdd

the dvd gets powered by the mobo

#3 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

be aware that a regular pc dvd-rom drive won't read original xbox games. if you need a replacement that reads original xbox games, you'll need either a real xbox dvd-rom drive or one of the modified pc dvd-rom drives.

#4 prplehz

prplehz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Romance, Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Skiing, Swimming.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

Either buy a samsung 616t dvd for a pc and mod it or buy one premodded. I have them in both my boxes and love em.. It plays all originals, and anything I throw at it so far. Just what ever you do don't buy one from Divineo. They are way overpriced. Check ebay. Or you could just get a used samsung that came in an xbox.

#5 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(prplehz @ Jun 19 2005, 05:20 PM)
Either buy a samsung 616t dvd for a pc and mod it or buy one premodded. I have them in both my boxes and love em.. It plays all originals, and anything I throw at it so far. Just what ever you do don't buy one from Divineo. They are way overpriced. Check ebay.  Or you could just get a used samsung that came in an xbox.

View Post

It should be noted that experiences with the modded Sammy PC drives have given people very mixed results. I had one professionally done by a guy who has done a number of them and the drive was quite frankly a POS. Most of the time it refused to play movie DVDs, it required a fresh power-up each time I swapped out a game and it didn't really read that much more than the original Phillips drive I had in my XBOX. My current XBOX Samsung reads FAR more than the 616T ever did (every type of DVD-RW, CD-R, DVD-R and D/L Verbatim DVD+R that I have thrown at it). The 616T didn't want to read any RW media or CD-Rs, it just read cheaper quality DVD-R than my Phillips did which is a moot point now since the difference between quality DVD-R and the bottom of the barrel DVD-R is less than 10 cents a disc. The thing is that I am not alone with my complaints about the 616T drives. The problems that I reported are fairly common. It should also be noted that Samsung 616T drives have been out of production for quite a while, so any one of them that you pick up at this point is going to be a re-furb and heavens only knows what standards were used to getting the drive back into working condition. So when you factor that in with having to butcher the drive to get it to work with the XBOX, it doesn't make for a very reliable combo. That isn't to say that all Samsung 616Ts are bad drives, but they certainly aren't the ultimate drive like everyone hypes them up to be. Thankfully the guy who did it was a buddy of mine and he did everything for me at cost, so I was able to recover my losses. If you do get an XBOX Samsung drive make sure it is one that was pulled from an '02 or '03 XBOX. The newer version Samsungs are NOT very good. The other good option is to try and get a Phillips drive from the latest V1.6 XBOXs. Those are supposed to be right up there with the old Sammys.

Edited by jesterrace777, 19 June 2005 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users