77 replies to this topic

#31 zero129

zero129

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

What i want to know is why the hell are we paying MS for Xbox live in the first place?, i mean it was free on the DC, it was free on the PS2, and it is free on the PC to play online, so why does MS charge us?, don't say for servers, as MS doesn't use servers for hosting games, it works the exact same way it does on the pc, each user hosts their own games, so why the hell are they charging us?.

Maybe everyone should Boycot Xbox live, so we can try to get it free, just as it should be.

Edited by zero129, 17 July 2005 - 03:47 PM.

#32 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(Ozy @ Jun 19 2005, 03:23 PM)
Well that's shit! You have to pay for Xbox live gold then pay to use the game online too.
What they hell do M$ do with the subscriptions.
If this extra payment is required then $ony are gonna kill xbox live because their service it free.

Get your act together M$, people have payed for xbox live for years and it has given you profit don't make us have double the subscription!

View Post

I totally agree with u m8t! If they do make us pay "extra" fees, than I am personally not getting any of the game such as GoW (because of the "extra" fee), and YES ps3 online will kill xbl [even if we know that ps2's (future to be ps3's)online service is shit].

#33 Advanc3d_T3ch

Advanc3d_T3ch

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

Pay what.

#34 jaskerzada006

jaskerzada006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

Xlink Kai is free.

Fuck XBL.

When they initially launched, they originally wanted to make games "Require" XBL. Meaning if you didn't have Live, you couldn't play thier game. Think Phantasy Star Online. But then, when one of the greatest games ever didn't sell worth a shit, they realized they couldn't quite do that yet. So they're easing us in. One day, your video games will be payed on a subscription basis whether you play online or not. Much like you have to pay for Windows Server 2003 on a subscription.

#35 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

yes they do use servers............ dry.gif

for the service that you get, i dont mind paying

#36 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

I'm fairly certain SegaNet was NOT free... I remember paying about $22 a month when it first came out (I think the price dropped as low as $10 a month).

WAY more expensive than XBL and not nearly as many features.

XBL is worth $50 a year for the downloads and voice messaging alone... you'll be getting both of those FREE with the 360's Silver account.

If you really don't want to pay then go play on one of the free Network based services. and if you have complaints about those... well that's why XBL is worth the $50 rolleyes.gif

Go keep track of how much you play online with XBL and then tell me how much it would cost for other forms of entertainment for the same amount of time, like renting a DVD, going to an arcade, or taking your lady friend out to dinner...

XBL costs less than $1 a week... please I probably spend 10 times that on Soda alone and that's not nearly as entertaining.

#37 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:25 PM

ur right twisted, seganet WAS not free. it was 20 bucks..........i use to subscribe to it.

#38 zero129

zero129

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 18 2005, 07:07 PM)
I'm fairly certain SegaNet was NOT free... I remember paying about $22 a month when it first came out (I think the price dropped as low as $10 a month).

WAY more expensive than XBL and not nearly as many features.

XBL is worth $50 a year for the downloads and voice messaging alone... you'll be getting both of those FREE with the 360's Silver account.

If you really don't want to pay then go play on one of the free Network based services. and if you have complaints about those... well that's why XBL is worth the $50  rolleyes.gif

Go keep track of how much you play online with XBL and then tell me how much it would cost for other forms of entertainment for the same amount of time, like renting a DVD, going to an arcade, or taking your lady friend out to dinner...

XBL costs less than $1 a week... please I probably spend 10 times that on Soda alone and that's not nearly as entertaining.

View Post

Im not talking about Seganet, im talking about playing games such as quake 3 online on the dc, Segas DC online service was free.

And about keeping track of how much i play online on live, well that would be all 000's as i dont play online with live, if i want to play online with my xbox i use Xlink, and then you ask why am i complaining?, see it's simple XLink only works with games that use system link, so other great games such as DOAU, and SFAC wont work with it, so if i wanted to play them 2 games i'd have to give MS 60 a year, and for what?, to give a service that you can get for free on the pc rolleyes.gif , fool yourself all you want by saying it's worth it, you know as well as i do it's not, and it should be free

#39 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

As far as value goes... things are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. I find XBL to be of great value, to me $50 is pocket change, I have more than that in my pocket as I type this, I spend more than that taking my girl out to dinner and a movie on the weekend and that only provides a few hours of entertainment. I've paid much more for much less with other services and the lack of hassle and (relatively) reliable servers XBL provides is worth it to me.

I wasn't one of those people who went on a waiting list or Beta tested XBL Infact I didn't even have it until last year. I didn't play it at all until there was a few games that I really wanted to try, and THEN I signed up for a 2 month trial. At the end of the 2 months I decided it was well worth the $50 for a full years subscription that I bought it. I've played XBConnect/Xlink Kai/PC games online and they all work well for JUST playing games but things like messaging, invites, downloadable content, ease of use, reliable servers, and (comparatively) less cheating is what brought my wallet out.

If you have a problem with games not supporting network play bring it up with the developer not MS, MS created a service and developers can choose to use it or not. They're not stupid, they know that things like Kai exist and if they choose not to support them by not including network play, well that's their own fault.

#40 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 19 2005, 03:57 PM)
As far as value goes... things are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. I find XBL to be of great value, to me $50 is pocket change, I have more than that in my pocket as I type this, I spend more than that taking my girl out to dinner and a movie on the weekend and that only provides a few hours of entertainment. I've paid much more for much less with other services and the lack of hassle and (relatively) reliable servers XBL provides is worth it to me.

I wasn't one of those people who went on a waiting list or Beta tested XBL Infact I didn't even have it until last year. I didn't play it at all until there was a few games that I really wanted to try, and THEN I signed up for a 2 month trial. At the end of the 2 months I decided it was well worth the $50 for a full years subscription that I bought it. I've played XBConnect/Xlink Kai/PC games online and they all work well for JUST playing games but things like messaging, invites, downloadable content, ease of use, reliable servers, and (comparatively) less cheating is what brought my wallet out.

If you have a problem with games not supporting network play bring it up with the developer not MS, MS created a service and developers can choose to use it or not. They're not stupid, they know that things like Kai exist and if they choose not to support them by not including network play, well that's their own fault.

View Post

I Second That!

#41 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

i still cant believe people complain about online costs for xbl. $50 a year for the 200+ live ready games. thats pennies per game, granted most only play 3-4 online. $50 is nothing, well worth it

#42 zero129

zero129

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:37 PM

The point is not about it only costing $50 a year, im sure that everyone knows that is only pocket change, as you would really have to live in a very poor place not to be able to give $50 a year, plus im sure that anyone that has a pc and comes to xbox scene would be able to give $50 a year easy, but like i said that is not the point.

The point is is that MS shouldn't be charging for something that should otherwise be free, they are not using their own servers for games, so imo they shouldn't have the right to charge other people for using their "own" bandwith to host games.

#43 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Huxley Online related...

http://www.xbox365.c...GiLPGuL07191012

beerchug.gif

#44 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 19 2005, 09:57 AM)
to me $50 is pocket change, I have more than that in my pocket as I type this, I spend more than that taking my girl out to dinner and a movie on the weekend and that only provides a few hours of entertainment.

That was real arrogant. Good for you twisted.........You have more than $50 in your pocket as you typed that. rolleyes.gif
I've paid much more for much less with other services and the lack of hassle and (relatively) reliable servers XBL provides is worth it to me.

Yeah, I forgot that I never pay to play Half-Life, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Source, Day of defeat, etc. I also forget how reliable the servers are. I seem to keep forgetting all the updates, new maps, weapons, and whatever other downloads valve gives to me almost every week. I also seem to forget how Steam collects all of these together in one program, like XBL. Valve has not asked for a dime since my purchase...............

As far as server hosting
Battlefiled 2.........................
So let me get this straight. M$ wants me to pay because I am using their servers. If EA can run the servers free(all ranked B2 servers are controlled by EA), someone please explain why M$ needs to charge me?
I can explain why. They are monopolistic. If the people are willing to pay............

#45 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(zero129 @ Jul 19 2005, 01:48 PM)
The point is is that MS shouldn't be charging for something that should otherwise be free, they are not using their own servers for games, so imo they shouldn't have the right to charge other people for using their "own" bandwith to host games.

View Post

I would agree... if you were correct.

MS owns and operates all of the XBL servers... every game played on XBL is played on those servers. The only exception is EA games. If you remember EA refused to use XBL for quite some time... they bitched about it so much that MS added in extensions so that they could use XBL as a front end and run on a 3rd party server.

Aside from EA... if you're on XBL you're on an MS server wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users