Mana

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

hi guys, basically i recently got my xbox modded but i still have the original sized xbox hard drive.

what i want to know is, is it possible to hook up one of those external hard drives to the xbox? i checked online and most of them have either firewire ports or usb 1.0/2.0 connections. if i used a usb dongle on the xbox would it somehow detect the hard drive?

i also searched and there are some external hard drives that have ethernet ports. now if i used a crossover cable and connected this to the xbox network port, would it be detected by say xbox media centre and thus could i stream for it?

i much rather have an external hard drive as i could leave the xbox say at one house, go to my other house with a fast internet connection, download onto the external hard drive and then when i came back to the xbox, i could just plug it in and pwn.

thanks in advance

mana

#2 ItchyB

ItchyB

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

You can connect a USB external drive for use with Linux but not the standard xbox as there are no drivers for it. Some people have added an external IDE drive with a switch to select which drive to use.

#3 Mana

Mana

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:57 AM

how about connecting an external hard drive which has an ethernet port to the xbox via a crossover cable?

would that allow me to stream music and movies?

i dont wanna play games from an external hard drive.

#4 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:03 AM

Yes you could stream media from a NAS (Network Attached Storage) however you would not be able to play backed-up games from there.

Edited by StrictPuppet, 21 June 2005 - 01:04 AM.

#5 Mana

Mana

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Jun 21 2005, 02:14 AM)
Yes you could stream media from a NAS (Network Attached Storage) however you would not be able to play backed-up games from there.

View Post

hmm ah if i do that tho then it seems that i wont be able to get my xbox online, which is a bummer.

damn looks like a 250gig internal hard drive is the only way to go...

just out of interest tho, i heard that my saved games on my original hard drive wont work if i copy them over to a 250gig hard drive.

now i have some saved games of gta:sa which i really dont wanna lose!!!

can anyone shed some light on this as the saved game issue is the only reason why i am reluctant to upgrade to a bigger hdd!

thanks

#6 cyfi

cyfi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:(Check my website)
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

you could build or buy a hard drive case, put a regular hard drive in it and rout an ide cable out the fins or something to make it seem external

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users