#1 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

Hi, I have xbox version 1.6 (based on one of the stickys and my kernel version).

I wanna be able to emulate NES, SNES, Sega genesis, and Playstation if possible, from the Harddrive (no dvds or cds). I've got a couple of questions,

If I get a modchip (I was looking at the Xecuter-3, good choice?) I will be able to FTP to my xbox HD from my PC, right? (I have a crossover cable) And it will just boot off of the OS I install? Can I have multiple OSes?

Which emulators are best for XBOX? (I prefer ZSNES over snes9x, and nesticle over any other nes emulator, but have no idea about playstation) How will the controller react to OSes and emulators?

Which OS would be the best? Linux is sweet (but I'm used to Windows) but will it run the programs I want it to? I know ZSNES has a linux version...

I have a 1 year subscription to XBOX-Live, but I'd be willing to give it up for emulators (I'm so bored with xbox live now) but I can turn the modchip off if I wanted to play on live, correct?

These questions have already been answered probably, but I want to make sure none of the information was outdated. I just dont wanna screw up.

#2 mcbeat

mcbeat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:59 PM

you need to have a modchip to ftp you softmod and do the same thing

yes you can turn off you chip and go on live

Which OS would be the best? Linux is sweet (but I'm used to Windows) but will it run the programs I want it to? I know ZSNES has a linux version...?????????????

you dont run a os you get a emu that has been coded changed to run same as xbox code(well execute the same) this i what i think am i right

i'l have your live account smile.gif lol

#3 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:00 PM

You're asking a lot at once.

Read the Newbie Welcome Guide a couple times, and the Which modchip to buy thread.

For emulators, go here: http://forums.xbox-s...hp?showforum=96 Xports emus are the best.

And if it isn't there go here: http://forums.xbox-s...hp?showforum=17 Lantus makes an excellent SNES emu among other things.

Slow down, read a lot, and you'll find everyone a lot more friendly (re: helpful).

#4 crustyteacup

crustyteacup

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

To be honest for what your going to be using your xbox for, you don't even need a chip, you can just softmod it and it pretty much do everything you wanted, however if your after a chip then i recommend the X3, although that might be overkill (maybe better getting a duox 2)

Yes you could ftp to your xbox from your PC, we usually call the "OS's" dashboards, so you would have a default dashboard which would boot up all the time and you could have others which you would run like apps.

I use surreal for n64, snes9x for snes, neogenesis for genesis (or megadrive), pcsxbox for ps1. The controller can be configured for the emulators.

The best dashboard for me has to be UnleashX, but thats a matter of opinion, you would need to try them all out to decide for yourself. Linux is ok, all the different distros do take some time to load up and so there not really fast, but you can download packages for it and run emulators and watch films on it but you can do all that without linux anyways.

The chip would need to be turned off for live play (or the softmod disabled), most chips have a live blocking feature so that if the chip is on, you can't accidently go on live and get banned.

Hope this helps.

#5 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

Live blocking is in the bios, not the chips. A 10 USD Aladdin cheapo with an x2.4981 bios on it will block you as safely as a 60 USD chip.

And don't mistake the two SNES emulators. You wan't Lantus' xSnes9x, not any outdated others with oh-so-similar names.

#6 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:10 PM

Hmm..

I want to run emulators for many things, and ZSNES is almost a MUST, xsnes9x blows compared to zsnes, (zsnes has better features like rewind, speed up) and also I wish to play over the net, which 9x has problems with synching up players, and zsnes does not.

Is the softmod easily disabled? I dont use live too often but incase I wanted to use it, how hard would it be to turn off? Would I have to delete all of my content that I have uploaded to the xbox (roms/emus) ?

I want to run emulators for (which I have found linux versions for..);

Snes
Nes
Sega genesis
Atari
N64
GBA
GBASP
PS1
MAME (arcade games)

I would need linux for all of those, right?
Also, being able to watch avi files would be a plus.

Edited by eulo, 22 June 2005 - 03:14 PM.

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

The Xbox has it's own OS and many emulators and media players have been written specifically for that.

Emulators that are good on PC arn't always as good on Xbox and emulators that are so-so on PC are sometimes better on the Xbox. If you're running emulators from the Xbox's Original OS then it's generally accepted around here that xSNES9x is the best SNES emulator. Actually AFAIK ZSNES doesn't even have an Xbox version, and probably wont because most people are more than satisfied with xSNES9x.

If you want to run Linux, that's a completely different challenge. Once you have it up and running you pretty much just have a Linux machine to deal with and what you install from there is up to you.

As for Softmods vs. Modchips.... The new expensive chips are nice because they have GUI interfaces and give you the ability to add an LCD screen etc. But for what you want to do you don't need any of that stuff and you'd be fine with just a cheapo $10 chip with a flashable bios. Really most of the features that come with a modding your Xbox come from the BIOS which is usually independent of the chip/modding method. IMO if you're planning on using XBL then get a cheapo modchip and you'll be able to install a switch and just turn the chip on and off at your leisure.

The first question you always ask is what you want to do with it. You've obviously answered that: Emulation

So the next question you have to ask yourself is if you want to run Linux then run emulators through linux... or if you want to use the Xbox's stock OS and run emulators off of that. I honestly don't know how well emulators would run on an Xbox through Linux. Linux in general is pretty effecient software but it's dog slow compaired to the Xbox's normal OS.

#8 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:01 PM

twistedsymphony, thank you for that information and input (and to all others). I think I will buy the x3 so that my 1 year subscription to XBL isnt thrown completely to waste (I only really use it to play Guilty Gear xx#R online) I could just get a cheapo, but I would rather go with an established name and built in switch, and the less soldering I have to do, the better.

My only fear of going w/ emulators built for the original xbox os/'dashboard' is that there wont be any emulators for the more rare consoles, and maybe running some PC games on linux would be fun too.

But hey, I can have both at the same time, or switch if I want to, right? I guess im gonna look into what emulators are there for the xbox os, and if they support most of the roms... and decide from there.

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

You can see the avaiable emulators here:
http://www.xbox-scen...?page=emulators

Xport makes most of the good ones though:
http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

As for needing an established name... Xecuter has made chips before the X3 wink.gif
My main Xbox has an X2 chip in it... you can probably pick one up for less than half the cost of an X3, built in switch and all.

#10 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

I see, I see.. I was already looking there for the emulators. But I'm over my 30 file limit for today =P

Whats XBMC? (Xbox Media Center) Is that just another dashboard? Should I consider getting that? It will run emulators written for the original xbox os?

#11 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:54 AM

Rare consoles? You mean there’s a system Xport hasn’t emulated yet? wink.gif

Trust me, seeing is believing. Xport and Lantus make gold, and the combined software and hardware filtering make the emus look great. I’ve yet to find a rom that won’t work (except for stuff like Wizard of Wor on MAMEoX, but hey, the audio was never emulatable to begin with...).

And Xbox Media Center can be a dash, or just a regular app you launch from your dash. See my sig for examples (those are hotlinks, mind you).

One more thing: You need to divorce yourself of the notion that a dashboard is an operating system. Similar? Yes, but all a dashboard is is a program that gets launched upon boot and that you in turn use to launch games/apps/emulators.

Heck, you can set your bios to launch a game off the hard drive rather than a dashboard...

All the functions that you would think of as being handled by an OS are in the bios or in silicon. The term OS only applies to on-chip menu solutions like those on the Xenium or X3 chip (the Xenium OS and X3 Config Live, respectively), and of course true OSes like Linux.

#12 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:08 PM

yep, I saw that lol I was shocked, they have ported EVERYTHING.

but all a dashboard is is a program that gets launched upon boot and that you in turn use to launch games/apps/emulators

thats what an OS does, lol

When I start my computer, windows runs, and from there I use to launch games/apps/emulators. If I didnt have windows, or linux, or DOS, I wouldnt have an OS, and couldn't play any games. I understand that a PC is somewhat different but they're also very alike. I see what you're saying, though.

Well I think im gonna order an X3, for the added features and the ability to turn it off easily for LIVE!.

#13 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:34 PM

I ended up getting the x2.6, since it had all the features I needed and was cheaper =P

I got overnight since it was only 2$ extra. I'm downloading all the roms I can happy.gif (and the rest of the emulators since my 30 downloads have been refreshed)

question.. Do I have to have a crossover cable if I have it hooked to the same hub as my computer, to FTP to my xbox? If not its ok, I do have one..

#14 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:43 AM

You don’t use crossover cables with hubs/routers. Use a normal patch cable. Crossover is only for straight NIC-to-NIC connection.

And don’t use the phrase “downloading (insert copyrighted material here, regardless of grey area-ness)” if you want to keep it safe here.

#15 eulo

eulo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:45 AM

ok lemme rephrase that, I'm downloading roms of games that I own =P (and its funny cuz its not a lie)

I figured that I didnt need a crossover cable since I had a hub.

Anyway, which dashboard should I choose? Looks are semi-important but I suppose functionality and stability come first. I've only read about XBMC and EvoX, XBMC seems like its being updated more frequently, and it also looks prettier, and I've heard from a number of people EvoX is crappy. I just want another's opinion, otherwise im gonna go w/ xbmc =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users