Photo

Destoyed My Lpc Port. Alternate "a" Point?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scootabug

scootabug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

Okay, I'm quietly having a heart attack about this one.

I was having a huge amount of trouble with a Duo X2, wasn't booting at all (FRAGing). So I removed the chip from header, disconnected D0 and BT. Xbox booted normally with original MS BIOS, thank god.

After resoldering all my wires, and trying to resolder the pins in the LPC header (the side on the board, not the chip), and not getting any better result with the FRAGing, it all went wrong.

I decided to remove the entire LPC header for the chip, and start all over again. My solder wick wasn't removing the solder, and getting the $hits, I grabbed my pointy-nosed pliers and gave the pin a pull.

It came out, but so did the little metal ring!!! OMG

So I didn't panic, tried to fill the hole with solder, stuck a different pin into point A and attempted to solder it back in as if nothing had happened.

Here's where I am up to...

- With normal boot, the chip turns on (Red LED flashing)
- With boot by eject, the Xbox boots into original MS

This is my problem...

- Normal boot gives no Video or Audio. This console is NOT, i repeat NOT, FRAGing anymore.

Anybody know of an alternative for point A? Here's a diagram of the mod chip install for those interested.

http://www.duomodchi.../duox2_v1.6.jpg

#2 scootabug

scootabug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:07 PM

Some full-noise searching on Google found this:

http://s92344561.onl....us/lpc-alt.jpg

Can anyone support this information? It seems to be from a reputable source, however, I have no idea which mobo version this applies to....unless it applies to all ;-)

Thanks in advance guys. I appreciate it so very much.

Edited by scootabug, 22 June 2005 - 02:10 PM.

#3 scootabug

scootabug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

Rightio. I'm both stunned and amazed at the moment.

This Xbox is working, with the chip. beerchug.gif

I opened her back up to see if I could find this alternative A point as per my last post, and much to my suprise the D0 had broken off the top of the chip.

Quickly soldered in back on and booted her up to see if by chance that was the problem since my fatal accident come re-install. And it worked. uhh.gif

Now for some serious testing, by way to numerous boots and extended usage. Might leave it running overnight to test it's reliability.

Here's a tip for anyone who puts mod chips in an Xbox. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PINS WITHOUT REMOVING THE SOLDER FIRST. IT'S A BIG MISTAKE.

I'll post again when I have a more solid result from this lucky strike.

cool.gif

#4 tomlarose

tomlarose

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

Heh yea I screwed up on the pin header while installing an X3. I winded up soldering all the wires to the LPC port by hand, not knowing that there was an easier way with the wire install kit included. Oh well didn't have internet access when I was having my heart attack so I had to try anything.

But good news it worked. Heh I'd like to see a picture of your LPC port.

Good luck.

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

Here's a tip for anyone who puts mod chips in an Xbox. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PINS WITHOUT REMOVING THE SOLDER FIRST. IT'S A BIG MISTAKE.

Nobody that knows what they are doing would try and remove header pins without desoldering anyway.
The ALT points on the chip are here http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=382632

#6 scootabug

scootabug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 23 2005, 03:34 AM)
Nobody that knows what they are doing would try and remove header pins without desoldering anyway.
The ALT points on the chip are here http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=382632

View Post

Yeah it goes without saying. I was just getting desperate, it really didn't look like it was that well stuck. I knew better, guess I just panicked. I did try desoldering, but I was getting nowhere fast and I didn't want to heat things up too much. I guess heat would have been a better option than tearing an LPC port out.

The ALT points on the chip wouldn't have helped me anyway, since the board was my problem. Thanks for the reply anyway!

Cheers guys.

#7 scootabug

scootabug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE(tomlarose @ Jun 23 2005, 02:25 AM)
But good news it worked. Heh  I'd like to see a picture of your LPC port.

View Post

It actually looks quite normal. I probably made it sound worse than it was. Just imagine a pin, with solder on one end and in the solder, a nice little gold ring!

I can't believe I even did that. At least I am smart enough to learn from my mistake. And that's how you turn a 1 hour job into a 5 hour job. Damn. I got to bed at 1AM!

sleeping.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users