7 replies to this topic

#1 godslust

godslust

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Back in the good old days, I had pc, it only had 128mb of ram in it and I wanted to upgrade it to 256mb, I had an old working 128 stick kicking abou but there was only one memory slot on the motherboard. Because it was a lot cheaper to buy a stick of 128mb then one of 256mb, a friend of mine suggested modding a 128mb stick of memory by merging it with another?

I told him to F@ck off thats stupid and he told me that all I had to do is get a Ďdonorí stick of memory and de-solder the chips & piggyback them on my original stick!!!!!!!!????? I remember thinking at the time 'thatís bullshit you gump' but he showed me his pc and he had done it and it worked(no shit). I did not bother to do mine because I was sceptical of the whole thing and just got a bigger stick of memory but his worked.

I have been reading in the posts on upgrading the Xbox to 128mb by de-soldering the memory chips and replacing them with bigger chips, which got me thinking Ė would it be possible to do two things.

One
Piggyback the original memory with the same chips to make the process easier?

Two
If I had a 128mb modded box(for linux, not games) would it be possible to piggyback that to give 256?

I know I have never carried out the mod only seen it & he did not go into to much detail when he described how to do it, but as I said his worked!

Donít shoot me itís just an idea, if i have missed the point pleas let me know biggrin.gif

Edited by godslust, 22 June 2005 - 08:30 PM.

#2 Avenger 2.0

Avenger 2.0

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

I doubt it will work, and it would only be usefull for Linux. You can better get yourself an older computer for Linux. That's much cheaper wink.gif Or wait for the Xbox 360 with 512MB Ram.

Edited by Avenger 2.0, 22 June 2005 - 08:41 PM.

#3 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

I have been reading in the posts on upgrading the Xbox to 128mb by de-soldering the memory chips and replacing them with bigger chips, which got me thinking Ė would it be possible to do two things.

thats not what you do, there are empty ram slots on the board, and we simply solder more ram into these slots.

I dont think piggybacking the chips would work, or somebody would've done it by now.

#4 JEB-101

JEB-101

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

do it and post pix and results... perplexer should be the one doin this...lol

beerchug.gif
JEB

#5 godslust

godslust

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Jun 22 2005, 09:52 PM)
thats not what you do, there are empty ram slots on the board, and we simply solder more ram into these slots.

I dont think piggybacking the chips would work, or somebody would've done it by now.

View Post

Sorry its been while since i read the posts & the links were broken when I checked to refresh myself before I wrote the first post.

So lets say it did work, xbox with modded with all 4 chips in ram slots & all piggybacked =lots of mb. Right?

If games only regester the normal memory and work whats the prob, but if you also use linux, that would be usefull.

I might try to get hold of a spare motherboard & a few broken ones for the chips (same version would be best, not thought wich one yet any Ideas?) and give it a try if i can get em cheap enought encase it all goes bad!!!!! smile.gif

#6 JEB-101

JEB-101

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

keep us posted with that.. If it works ill give it a try! lol

beerchug.gif
JEB

#7 catdog2

catdog2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:14 PM

So lets say it did work, xbox with modded with all 4 chips in ram slots & all piggybacked =lots of mb. Right?

Wrong.

You obviously have zero understanding of xbox and/or computers. You CANNOT just piggyback one RAM chip on top of another and expect a doubling in usable memory. In the xbox, each 32 MB chip must cover a unique address space. Piggybacking would only make two chips both cover the same address and therefore hold the same information (if it worked without data corruption). So you would still only have the same amount of RAM.

In a PC, it theoretically could be possible to take a higher order address line and connect that to the piggybacked ram chips (although I doubt if this would work using wires due to the speed RAM operates at). But a PC is designed to take different RAM sticks - whereas the xbox is not. So where are you going to get the additional address line in the xbox? What xbox bios/operating system do you expect this to work on? I'm not saying that it is not possible (friendtech managed to replace the processor with one of double clock speed!), but it is obviously above your skill/knowledge level.

If you want an xbox with more RAM, get a v1.0-1.5 and install the extra 4 chips making a total of 128 MB - this is a straight forward procedure and is supported by a number of hacked bios.

#8 godslust

godslust

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(catdog2 @ Jun 23 2005, 11:25 PM)
Wrong.

You obviously have zero understanding of xbox and/or computers.  You CANNOT just piggyback one RAM chip on top of another and expect a doubling in usable memory.

View Post

As I said it was just an idea & I never clamed to have an in-depth knowledge of PC & Xboxes, thatís why I asked. biggrin.gif

Thanks anyway catdog for clearing this up for me. Cheers beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users