Mario4885

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

So someone gave me a compaq presario 700 with a fried mobo & keyboard. It's got a 14.1 inch vga lcd, 8x dvd drive, and 20gb toshiba 9.5mm hard drive, among other things, that are still in working condition.

I figure with adapters i can get the hard drive to work in a mini xbox im making, though i have heard of people having problems doing so. The dvd drive is another story... is there any way i could get it to work with an xbox?

And then there's the lcd. Its connection to the mobo is a collection of pins, similar to a hippad. Except, its vga. Is there ANY way i can make use of this lcd, either with an xbox or even otherwise (possibly converted into a projection system)? If anyone knows of any information that would be helpful in converting a laptop lcd into anything without the mobo, please direct me there. thank you.

cheers

#2 Mario4885

Mario4885

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:42 PM

does anyone have a tip for me to direct my research?

additionally, does anyone know how to make my search results give more than the first 5 words of the post (even though it gives about 3 inches of empty space below the first words)?

#3 alemerson

alemerson

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:07 AM

I am almost positive that you will be able to get the hard drive to work.. but you will need an adapter becuase most laptop hdds have a different connection. (there like $2 on ebay)

the dvd drive should work too but it wont read original xbox games...

from what i understand LCD will be really hard to wire, because even though you could do a VGA mod to your xbox and have a VGA output. there are connections in the laptops mother board that converts all those wires that come down out of the screen into a usable plug..

hope this helps

#4 Mario4885

Mario4885

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(alemerson @ Jun 25 2005, 09:18 PM)
I am almost positive that you will be able to get the hard drive to work.. but you will need an adapter becuase most laptop hdds have a different connection. (there like $2 on ebay)

the dvd drive should work too but it wont read original xbox games...
from what i understand LCD will be really hard to wire, because even though you could do a VGA mod to your xbox and have a VGA output. there are connections in the laptops mother board that converts all those wires that come down out of the screen into a usable plug..
hope this helps

View Post

thanks for the reply

i was aware of most of this, but i am glad to have clarifcation on what exactly would be the problem with the laptop dvd drive. I know people have made use of them (nes box comes to mind?), but not without problems. So basically the dvd drive wont be of any use, really. My boxes are all on the network, so th eonly use for the dvd drives are playing originals on live, really.

As for the LCD... I doubt i would want to use it with an xbox. Id really prefer to use it in a digital projector. I tore the laptop into a thousand pieces within an hour of receiving it, so im well aware that the lcd's controller was on the fried mobo. It ends in two male plugs similar to all the other plugs youd find in your laptop (hard plastic, not the ribbon cabble ones), which simply must be able to be torn apart and hardwired to SOMETHING that can control the lcd. I have about a thousand projects i could do with an lcd of this size, i just need to figure out what to do to get it functional on its own. Help please!

#5 Mario4885

Mario4885

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:28 AM

all my questions have been answered, thanks for the help guys!!

#6 Staple

Staple

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:43 AM

you will have a task ahead of u! blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users