darylzero

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:12 PM

Sega. Not even a question.

NFL2K3 blows Madden out of the water. And this is coming from someone who spent more time in college playing Sega Madden than actually going to class.

WSB2K3 blows EA's baseball out of the water.

NFL2k3 better than EA NHL

NBA2K3 - better than EA's NBA

Sega rules the sports market. Plus EA are being assholes and will never make a sports game for Xbox that will be live enabled.

#3 Suicide_Row

Suicide_Row

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:girlies!

Posted 01 April 2003 - 04:21 PM

you can get nfl 2k3 for ten bucs know. ncaa also.

kmart and toys r us both have that price.

#4 phantazma1

phantazma1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 04:25 PM

sega is king of sports games (and team ninja lol)

#5 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 April 2003 - 04:26 PM

I agree, Sega takes the cake and eats it too.

#6 piety

piety

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 05:10 PM

I think EA got better graphics but sega's gameplay is much better. For me the gameplay is the most important thing of a game. Thats why I can play games such like NBA2k3 or NHL2k3 for weeks.

#7 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 07:32 PM

from fatbabies.com

1/29/03 Sega Strapped for Cash

From the Business Ware:

SAN FRANCISCO--Jan. 17, 2003--SEGA of America, Inc. today announced that Peter Moore, president and chief operating officer, has tendered his resignation. Effective immediately, Tetsu Kayama, chief operating officer of SEGA Corporation, will assume the expanded role of president and chief executive officer of SEGA of America, Inc.
"We thank Peter Moore for his four years of service at SEGA and wish him well in his future endeavors," said Tetsu Kayama, chief operating officer, SEGA Corporation and president and chief executive officer, SEGA of America, Inc.

What they don’t tell us is that Sega of America has already blown through nearly their entire 2003 budget. Moore decided unwisely to take on sports powerhouse Electronic Arts head to head during the Christmas season, promoting NFL 2K3 to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. Sales forecasts pegged the game to sell 1.6 million units. Instead, it has sold barely 300,000. The company’s losses continue to rise, and Moore has taken the fall for the extremely poor business decision. The marketing group at SOA failed to recognize the power of EA’s branding, and SOA is now suffering as a result.

The market has spoken. Expect bankruptcy or mergers soon for Sega of America.

However, as usual that is no indication of quality...Tennis 2k2, the only sports game worth playing except for possibly Virtua Tennis, was made by Sega. That settles that question for me.

#8 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 10:32 PM

Sega by light years!! ... in both graphics and gameplay.

But it's just not fair for them, because millions of stupid little wankers fall into the EA trap every year, believing their hype and brand names and buying their crap games. EA Sports logo should be... "Minimum effort for maximum reward"

I don't like seeing MS buy companies like Rare and whoever else they are getting but I wish Sega (and hopefully Sega Sports) would have been one of them. Then Sega' Sports game would have the money and advertising they needed to finally prove to EA gamers that they've been playing a much inferior product for years and been left in the dark to how good Sega Sports games really are.

#9 LumbraX

LumbraX

BANNED AGAIN - Multiple Abuses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Interests:skateboarding

Posted 01 April 2003 - 11:02 PM

No Need To Ask This.

Sega Sports wins by K.O. hehehe.

The Graphics, The Gameplay, The Online Play, 0 ITS OVER. :-)

#10 jasonmvt

jasonmvt

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 11:35 PM

i am a huge fan of the Sega Sports games. However, I have to conceed a couple of things...

1)NHL 2003 is a better game than NHL2K3. The games are close, but EA graphics and sound are somewhat better, and I like the way it plays better as well. The Live option is very nice for 2k3 and I expect next year's version will take the crown.

2)Madden has more polish. The physics and collisions in NFL are better, but I think Madden still has the edge on graphics, dominates in the sound category, and the interface for Madden is much smoother (especially in a two player + game --playcalling also comes to mind). The controls seem more intuitive as well. The added modes like training and player cards help add to the fit and finish.

I do think that Sega's NCAA is a better college football game than EA's, so I just depends on whether college or pro is more important to you.

Now for baseball, Sega owns the market. EA doesn't even come close. Triple Play, now MVP, is one of the worst franchises in recent video game sports. When they were on the PS1, they were good games, but EA seems to have dropped the ball, so to speak, in the next-gen console market.

Basketball is a similar story as well. EA really screwed the pooch the last few years with NBA live. The newest version of Live is a huge step in the right direction, but still feels more like a game of NBA Jam than a true game of basketball. It makes for a fun 2 player game, but Sega wins hands down in graphics, sound, physics, and gameplay.

Tennis as Lizard mentions, is also owned by sega, but that not really a fair comparison for EA.

So, my score card is as follows:

GAME                    EA          SEGA
-------------------------------------------
Hockey                   X                     
NFL Football            X
College F-Ball                         X
Baseball                                 X
Tennis                   n/a            X
Soccer                   X             n/a
NBA                                       X
NCAA baskb                           X
--------------------------------------------
TOTAL                    3              5

Summary: Since the Football and Hockey games are so close in quality, it's really a landslide in favor of Sega.

Edited by jasonmvt, 01 April 2003 - 11:36 PM.

#11 N00bvin

N00bvin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 12:16 AM

What is this... another April fools joke?!

Okay, Sega has realism, but I happen to like fun with a splash of realism in my sports games and EA rules in this category.

NFL2K3 and NBA2K3 have some of the most frustrating gameplay problems I have EVER seen in a game.

NFL2K3 -- It is damn near impossible to catch a ball if a FEATHER touches you, let alone a d-back breathe on you. The graphics are "JERKY"... there are nice looking, but not smooth like Madden. It was brought up earlier... it's insane that the guy you're playing against can SEE THE PLAY you are picking.

NBA2K3 -- Bobbling ball and passing problems were enough to turn me off...

#12 roar

roar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 04:33 AM

I'll take Midway thanks...

If I'm playing multiplayer I don't always want realisim, I just got back from another 4-hour marathon of NHL Hitz with 8 buddies, this game simplyis the best 'arcade' hockey game out there.

If I'm playing byself I'll play EA's Hockey and soccer, Sega's Football and MS Basketball but if I'm playing with friends I'll take Slugfest, RedCard Soccer, NHL Hitz and NFL Blitz any day in a heart beat!

#13 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 April 2003 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (roar @ Apr 1 2003, 11:33 PM)
I'll take Midway thanks...

If I'm playing multiplayer I don't always want realisim, I just got back from another 4-hour marathon of NHL Hitz with 8 buddies, this game simplyis the best 'arcade' hockey game out there.

If I'm playing byself I'll play EA's Hockey and soccer, Sega's Football and MS Basketball but if I'm playing with friends I'll take Slugfest, RedCard Soccer, NHL Hitz and NFL Blitz any day in a heart beat!

I am more of a realism fan. Those games are fun to play against friends but when I play alone I enjoy realistic graphics and what not.

#14 solidfood

solidfood

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:15 AM

I heard sega is getting John Madden as a spokes person..He will be advertising every sports title! stupid april fools joke

#15 iam

iam

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (jasonmvt @ Apr 1 2003, 11:35 PM)
1)NHL 2003 is a better game than NHL2K3. The games are close, but EA graphics and sound are somewhat better, and I like the way it plays better as well. The Live option is very nice for 2k3 and I expect next year's version will take the crown.

Are you fucking out of your mind?

You obviously know shit about hockey to post something like that....

Oh yeah graphics are a tad better in EA$$ but it ends there... gameplay and realism sucks big monkey rods in EA$$....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users