#1 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

I KNOW THERE ARE KINDA MILLION TOPICS STARTING WITH HDTV, BUT PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS ONE UNTIL ALL OF THE INFO IS COLLECTED!

*This might help others too (in future)!*

Well I am getting myself a home theater, and i would like to know a lil bit of information!

I am all set with sorround system, but I am kinda still confused with TVs.

I've been told that tube HDTVs are the best so far, but if not then I would like to know what is?

Additional info that I am looking for are:

Display Resolution (what is the MAX supported so far)?

Pixel Pitch (what is the smallest...)?

Contrast Ratio (...greater...)?

Display Format (I think 1080p is best so far)!?

What outputs are/is the best so far?

If there is anything else i should look for when buying HDTV, please let me know (I don't care about the price)!

THANX IN ADVANCE!!

Please mods make this tread pinned so other ppl can look at it 4 future refrences, thanx!!??

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

This would be much better if it was in the A/V forum rather than the General forum rolleyes.gif

#3 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 28 2005, 07:29 PM)
This would be much better if it was in the A/V forum rather than the General forum  rolleyes.gif

View Post

I guess they will move it? Just hope they pin it and that all infos are there. smile.gif

#4 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

I think this topic will die sune if it's not pinned because of it's name. Can it be changed to something else (name) or be pinned plz?

Edited by spearfree, 28 June 2005 - 10:47 PM.

#5 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

Double post, damn it!

Edited by spearfree, 28 June 2005 - 10:48 PM.

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE(spearfree @ Jun 28 2005, 12:47 PM)
I KNOW THERE ARE KINDA MILLION TOPICS STARTING WITH HDTV, BUT PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS ONE UNTIL ALL OF THE INFO IS COLLECTED!

*This might help others too (in future)!*
Well I am getting myself a home theater, and i would like to know a lil bit of information!
I am all set with sorround system, but I am kinda still confused with TVs.

I've been told that tube HDTVs are the best so far, but if not then I would like to know what is?

Additional info that I am looking for are:

If there is anything else i should look for when buying HDTV, please let me know (I don't care about the price)!

THANX IN ADVANCE!!
Please mods make this tread pinned so other ppl can look at it 4 future refrences, thanx!!??

View Post

It's very easy to tell by your questions that you have no clue about TV video standards... I'd highly recommend reading through my sticky FAQ (at least the video portion) in this section and then asking any questions you have after that... wink.gif It wont answer all of them but it will give you better questions to ask.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 29 June 2005 - 12:37 AM.

#7 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 29 2005, 01:46 AM)
It's very easy to tell by your questions that you have no clue about TV video standards... I'd highly recommend reading through my sticky FAQ (at least the video portion) in this section and then asking any questions you have after that... wink.gif It wont answer all of them but it will give you better questions to ask.

View Post

I did read ur FAQ, but still it does not A all of my Qs smile.gif

Acctually I read that long time ago...I was one of the firtst to read it when you posted it in old 360 forum (I think it started there). wink.gif

Edited by spearfree, 29 June 2005 - 03:03 AM.

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(spearfree @ Jun 28 2005, 10:12 PM)
I did read ur FAQ, but still it does not A all of my Qs smile.gif

Actually I read that long time ago...I was one of the firtst to read it when you posted it in old 360 forum (I think it started there).  wink.gif

View Post

Yes you're right, it did start there, though it was just a reply to another thread and covered about 1/6th of what the pinned topic does.

Since you feel the questions you've asked are still relevant I guess I'll try to answer them as best I can.

View Post

CRT, LCD, DLP, and Plasma all have their benefits and pitfalls, no particular tech is better than any other tech especially with the wide variations between models and manufacturers. You need to determine your size restrictions, the input resolutions you plan on using, the arrangement of your room, the lighting in your room, and most of all your price range. The answers to those questions dramatically change which tech works best for YOU.

View Post

1080p (but you aready knew that because you read the sticky right wink.gif ) unless you're talking about the display's Natural Resolution, which depending on the technology but typically bigger isn't always better. You'd be better off with a Natural Resolution equal to that of the input resolution you plan on displaying most frequently.

View Post

These are TVs not PC monitors... you have a max effective resolution of 1080p the pixel pitch is irrelevant. I can zoom on my DLP and change the pixel pitch all day long. A 46" plasma has a smaller pixel pitch than a smilar 52" plasma but that doesn't make it better, it's only because it's smaller. Pitch is important on a PC monitor because it gives you an idea of the supported resolutions and scale of the picture. If you're shooting for 720p or 1080i a smaller pitch wont yeild any real benifit because you're limited to your input resolutions.

View Post

It depends how much you want to spend displays in the $10K-$20K range have much better contrast ratios than displays in the $1K-2K range. Also a good Contrast Ratio for one tech might be piss poor for another.

View Post

what exactly do you mean by "display format"? 4:3 vs. 16:9 ... it's typically a matter of opinion. IMO 16:9 is better 1/3 more picture and a shape more akin to the human scope of vision.

View Post

outputs from what? from your TV? from your DVD player? from your Xbox? What kind of outputs are you talking about? Picture? Sound? Signal? Cable?

View Post

There are Many Many things you should look for when buying an HDTV but most of those are dependent on the technology you decide to go with. If you're looking at a DLP you need to look at bulb life, if you're looking at an LCD you need to look at viewing angle etc. Many of those things are exclusive to that particular tech. You could write a novel on things to look for when buying an HDTV, infact many have done so and if you're REALLY interested in ALL the aspects I suggest going to the book store and picking one up.

#9 BestBuy

BestBuy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:15 PM

Worst thread ever

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(BestBuy @ Jun 30 2005, 05:26 PM)
Worst thread ever

View Post

I wouldn't go that far... but it's certainly not pin-able. sad.gif

#11 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:53 AM

thanx a lot m8t! I appriciate ur time that u took to answer my questions. smile.gif

BTW!

The thing that supprise me is that I saw HDTV that supports 1080p, but it's MAX resolution is 1365 x 768. Now, I know xbox supports way more than that (1365 x 768)...so will this make the quality of the image to be "worst" than 1080i (whatever is the MAX of XBOX)?

Link to The TV I'm talking about!

Edited by spearfree, 04 July 2005 - 04:03 AM.

#12 Andy51

Andy51

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

I'm not too keen on Sony Products of today, they don't make them as they used to do so long time ago... Okay I know! I saw the rating, 5 out of 5 stars, yeah blah blah, but it's only rated by one person..

#13 brooksie48

brooksie48

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(Andy51 @ Jul 4 2005, 04:37 PM)
I'm not too keen on Sony Products of today, they don't make them as they used to do so long time ago... Okay I know! I saw the rating, 5 out of 5 stars, yeah blah blah, but it's only rated by one person..

View Post

Yea I love my sony trinitron that I got because my other one broke under warrenty.

#14 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(Andy51 @ Jul 4 2005, 10:37 PM)

View Post

No 1 does (they all think about $$$ 1st, and then, if e r lucky, they might think about product). sad.gif

#15 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(spearfree @ Jul 3 2005, 11:04 PM)
thanx a lot m8t! I appreciate ur time that u took to answer my questions. smile.gif

BTW!

The thing that surprise me is that I saw HDTV that supports 1080p, but it's MAX resolution is 1365 x 768. Now, I know xbox supports way more than that (1365 x 768)...so will this make the quality of the image to be "worst" than 1080i (whatever is the MAX of XBOX)?

Link to The TV I'm talking about!

View Post

Basically 1080 (i or p) is 1920x1080 If the display has a different max resolution than that means the 1920x1080 will be scaled to fit the resolution of the display.

That's why it's best to get a display with a natural resolution that is the same as the signal resolution, especially with CRT, LCD, and Plasma techs. DLP and LCD projectors it's bets to find a display with a resolution slightly larger than the signal resolution because in a projection system a certain amount of the display is devoted to key-stoning.

This is probably the reason most people think CRTs make the best HDTVs. Because most CRT HDTVs will have the proper natural resolution for 1080 while other techs don't reach that natural resolution until the high end models.

In other words they compare a high end CRT to a low end Plasma/LCD/DLP simply because they're in the same price range. When in some cases a high end CRT will probably deliver superior quality to a low end Plasma/LCD/DLP.

if you can afford a high end Plasma/LCD/DLP then the quality will definitely be far and wide superior to that of a high end CRT. This is part of where your price range falls into play....

As for the the TV you linked.... considering it's natural resolution it would be ideal for displaying 720p images, 1080i/p will look better than 720p but not by as much as they could be.

Then again I wouldn't trust the info on e-opinions. They list the inputs as "S-Video x 1 Composite x 1" neither of which are capable of delivering a HD signal. So either the display is total shite or e-opinions has grossly inaccurate data (my guess is the later). In terms of input connectors, you'd want at least a DVI or HDMI (true digital connectors).

Edited by twistedsymphony, 05 July 2005 - 01:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users