69 replies to this topic

#16 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(kingroach @ Jun 29 2005, 10:40 PM)
does it still uses old ltools kernel?.. that kernel crap out in 1.6 boxes.. few weeks ago I partially ported xbxohdm into xbox and I used kernel from mandriva linux's xbox distribution.. That should work with all xbox's..

View Post

oh, crap. This is on my TODO list now, thanks for the heads up.

QUOTE(Lamer123)
So let me get this straight this runs off a legal bios and is a completely legal program ??

You're half correct. it doesn't run off an unpatched retail bios - you need to be able to run unsigned code. Most people have a hacked bios in order to do this, but I believe nkpatcher patches the retail bios on the fly, making it a legal distribution? (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

However, it is a completely legal binary.

I forgot to mention this in the first post, but a million thanks go out to everyone working on the openXDK - this program is just a demo of it's (constantly expanding) capabilities. OpenXDK Homepage.

edit: People who are having problems with getting input to work, please keep reporting the scenarios. Thanks!

Edited by d0wnlab, 30 June 2005 - 03:49 AM.

#17 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

NKPatcher doesn't use any XDK/MS-code and is completely programmed in assembly, making it 100% legal. The only 'less legal' part about is the dashboard that it should run.

But this is the part where OpenDash kicks in! Good job and don't quit! beerchug.gif

Edited by The Zep Man, 30 June 2005 - 10:13 AM.

#18 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:32 AM

beerchug.gif

#19 Australian Rat

Australian Rat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Very VERY nice

Get this bugfixed, add more features and bundle it with Nkpatcher, wack it all together in a self-installing gamesave and we will finally have the first purely legal mod available tongue.gif

#20 Hozy

Hozy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modifications, Music, Car's, Movies, Hockey, Friends, Crazy Stuff :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

Sup man, replied to PM, Glad to help smile.gif
Working on stuff now.

Regards
HoZy

#21 Odb718

Odb718

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

So will it run off a softmod?
Not sure if that would make it 100% legal though or would it?

----
Note: I don't use softmods so I'm not familliar with them.
----

Edited by Odb718, 30 June 2005 - 12:40 PM.

#22 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:35 PM

Excellent , Excellent work.

Keep it up.

#23 Bulan

Bulan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

Seems your site has exceeded it's daily quota.. tongue.gif

Could u send the zipfiles (binary & source) by mail, and I'll put them up for mirroring?

send files to
x bo x [a t] b ul a .nu

And of course remove tha spaces and stuff.. biggrin.gif

#24 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Odb718 @ Jun 30 2005, 01:44 PM)
So will it run off a softmod?
Not sure if that would make it 100% legal though or would it?

----
Note: I don't use softmods so I'm not familliar with them.
----

View Post

If a softmod uses NKPatcher (100% written in pure assembly, no MS-code) to patch the MS-BIOS on-the-fly and use OpenDash as a dashboard (written with OpenXDK, also uses Linux, no MS-code), then the mod would be 100% legal since there isn't any MS-code involved. tongue.gif

Edited by The Zep Man, 30 June 2005 - 01:30 PM.

#25 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

Sounds well intersting biggrin.gif just had a quick mess around with it, needs some more work but good start!

#26 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

Thanks guys!

This dash wasn't really meant to be that feature-filled, but more of a sort of appetite-whetting application. I am dedicated to making it stable, but before new features are added it's my plan to re-write the core to more easily support customization, scripting, etc.

However, since it does include a linux distribution, if anyone wants to create installation/whatever scripts and add them to the initrd, that would be a quick way to already have a large amount of customization (this is pretty much how ltools works.)

beerchug.gif

#27 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

Great work cool.gif . Just tried it now (launching directly from a expoit after signing using habibi) and it seems to work fine on my v1.1 Xbox. While I don't have the skills to help out on the OpenXDK side I'd like to help out with the Linux side, if possible. Do you have any specific ideas/plans for the mini linux included with OpenDash? I appreciate that once OpenXDK has network support you'll probably want to incorporate ftp support into the Dash but in the meantime the mini linux seems pretty important for providing extra functionality.

#28 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(friedgold @ Jun 30 2005, 11:18 AM)
While I don't have the skills to help out on the OpenXDK side I'd like to help out with the Linux side, if possible. Do you have any specific ideas/plans for the mini linux included with OpenDash? I appreciate that once OpenXDK has network support you'll probably want to incorporate ftp support into the Dash but in the meantime the mini linux seems pretty important for providing extra functionality.

View Post

You are correct, once there is networking support in OpenXDK the idea is to move FTP into it. However, I don't necessarily see why having a mini-linux distribution come with it anyways would be a bad thing - people could untar files via the linux distribution, back things up, etc. It would be a quick way to add a bunch of functionality.

What do you have in mind for features? I know that the kernel needs to be updated, and I was going to see if someone could provide some ASCII art at boot. I was thinking of some sort of way to reboot the xbox on a keypress, and framebuffer access (to display a nice picture instead of the console), but am unsure if those would be too complex to add.

Another idea would be for the linux distribution to read a config file from somewhere on the FATX partition to get it's networking information from (instead of defaulting to 192.168.0.3 when it can't find DHCP).

That being said if you wanted to work on any ideas you have, or any of the features above, I would appreciate it.

#29 robgue

robgue

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:baseball baby

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:02 PM

i had a problem when i first booted the opendash. I had the ms communicator plugged in and it froze(using ms s controller). no input or output with the controller of course. i rebooted. tried it again and it worked the second time. whatever. not a big deal i guess.
xbox version 1.0. evox m8. tsop flash. xbmc as main dash. 120gig drive.
i'll mess with it more later today.
good work guys! beerchug.gif

Edited by robgue, 30 June 2005 - 05:07 PM.

#30 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

Thanks to HSDEMONZ's quick thinking there is a mirror of the files (which is good, since I hit my DL limit pretty damn quick).

http://pictures.xbox...eta/od-beta.zip
http://pictures.xbox...od-beta-src.zip

Thank You HSDEMONZ

beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users