What a great contribution to the scene. smile.gif pop.gif

#33 akarnid

akarnid

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

Brilliant job m8. This is hopefully a new start to the scene, seeing as all the code in this is 100% legal, so it can be more visible. As opposed to having the 'you can discuss it - but not link to it' status.

#34 tactix101

tactix101

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:24 PM

A very nice start indeed.
I tested it and is working as well as can be expected for a first release.

a few games took a couple of tries to boot

when booted from evo-x i had a few lock up's in the dash and frozen boots.

but no such problems when running it as the main dash.

xbox ver 1.1
m8 bios
aladin mod chip
80gig seagate hdd

I will deffinately continue to beta test as this has a lot of scope and can only get better with rich features.

Well done d0wnlab keep it comming

#35 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Jun 30 2005, 06:06 PM)
You are correct, once there is networking support in OpenXDK the idea is to move FTP into it.  However, I don't necessarily see why having a mini-linux distribution come with it anyways would be a bad thing - people could untar files via the linux distribution, back things up, etc.  It would be a quick way to add a bunch of functionality.

What do you have in mind for features?  I know that the kernel needs to be updated, and I was going to see if someone could provide some ASCII art at boot.  I was thinking of some sort of way to reboot the xbox on a keypress, and framebuffer access (to display a nice picture instead of the console), but am unsure if those would be too complex to add.

View Post

It's obviously important to keep things small so I was thinking of the following:

-Latest 2.4 kernel with bare minimum of modules to cut down on size
-uclibc based with busybox as the shell, again to cut down on size
-Use something like joyd to allow joystick presses to be translated into menu presses/commands
-Use something like dialog/whiptail to provide a simple text menu to all available options
-FTP server, telnet server
-xbox-tools for eeprom dumping, maybe raincoat for BIOS flashing

Another idea would be for the linux distribution to read a config file from somewhere on the FATX partition to get it's networking information from (instead of defaulting to 192.168.0.3 when it can't find DHCP).
That being said if you wanted to work on any ideas you have, or any of the features above, I would appreciate it.

A problem with this is the location of any config file must be hardcoded - Linux will have no way of telling which directory it has been run from so the config must be somewhere it can always find it. An alternative is passing the network settings as an append option via linuxboot.cfg.

#36 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

X-DSL (Damn Small Linux smile.gif ) would appear to be a good candidate for such a Linux-based FTP Server.

Edited by PedrosPad, 30 June 2005 - 10:22 PM.

#37 PENiX

PENiX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:14 AM

Your work is appreciated beerchug.gif

Congrats on developing the first legally distributed hacked xbox dashboard. Glad you leave it open-sourced, so hopefully more developers can help it out. Good luck with the project.

#38 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:29 AM

(Chuckles) So its come to this! Lookin' sharp man.

Should make alot of things, such as softmod installers, very interesting.

MechAssault Gamesave Exploit (Legal) - (Distributed by Xbox-Linux with their 'MechInstaller').
NKPatcher (Legal) - (Build from scratch by rmenhal and released via Base64 on these forums).
OpenDash (Legal) - (Well...duh?).
NDure fonts - (Legal) - (Released via Base64 here on Xbox-Scene, built from scratch).

If you get all the MS dashboard files off of C, it would be a completely legal installer for softmods! It would require a fairly complex system though, you'd need to MD5 files to determine their version, patch them accordingly, then manipulate them as required by the softmod to the correct directories, etc...

Needless to say if this ever gets that powerful I'll be taking it on.

Assuming I manage to beat down people like krayzie or kingroach before they get one off the ground smile.gif

Edited by RiceCake, 01 July 2005 - 03:40 AM.

#39 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:01 AM

If you get all the MS dashboard files off of C, it would be a completely legal installer for softmods! It would require a fairly complex system though, you'd need to MD5 files to determine their version, patch them accordingly, then manipulate them as required by the softmod to the correct directories, etc...

it can be done with ltools with some modification to the script.. smile.gif

Assuming I manage to beat down people like krayzie or kingroach before they get one off the ground

countdown ..5..4..3..2..1.. tongue.gif tongue.gif

Edited by kingroach, 01 July 2005 - 04:05 AM.

#40 Arius

Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

Great work on creating a fully legal dashboard.

I hope the project goes well, its great seeing people using OpenXDK more and more to create bigger and better legal projects.

#41 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

So basicly, the patching/creating of an exploitable XBE can be done from Itools (with certain dash versions ofcourse) and so could eeprom dumping/BIOS flashing/FTP

Then, all i'm wondering about is that writing files with linux seems to cause a read-only bug (cant format a shadowc image when using linux to place it for example)
This would mean, open dash will have to at least support wrting files (you could format C thru linux AFAIK, then reboot the gamesave)

So, would still require manual FTP (but apart from that, the things i wondered about, eeprom dumping and getting a exploitable XBE the "legal" way, can be overcome with relative ease)

Here's some more hosts:

Full DL host 1
Full DL host 2

Source DL host 1
Source DL host 2

Edited by Cio, 01 July 2005 - 02:08 PM.

#42 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:02 PM

I wish I understood Linux better (I can surf the net and stuff, run progams in XDSL, but rebuilding a Linux distro to checksum and patch files correctly while keeping a nice, slim interface? No f'n way! Heh!).

Here's a host aswell:
http://xguides.xbox-.../users/d0wnlab/

#43 deadlokIV

deadlokIV

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding. Music. Drumming. Oversleeping without the consiquences!
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

Oh My lord I have been waiting for this since the beggining, closely watching the thread since 'twas a baby (hehe, oh the USB problems biggrin.gif) but now that this has come, the spur for OpenXDK will be immense,

So congrats to everyone who has managed to get this all pieced together.
Peace, and Thanks.

#44 JayDee

JayDee

X-S Legend

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

First time used i had no controller input.

After this it FRAGS when i try to start it.

XBMC as a dash, 5035 X2 bios, Original controller and DVD dongel the third game port. (Port 2 as the first one is called 0 iirc)

Edited by JayDee, 03 July 2005 - 10:59 AM.

#45 deadlokIV

deadlokIV

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding. Music. Drumming. Oversleeping without the consiquences!
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:33 PM

I was beginning to create a new model but i would like to know if there are any limitaions as to what model (eg how many vector points are allowed etc).

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users