-wolf

#47 zehn--

zehn--

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

first off, great thing you're doin here, thumbs up

i'd like to contribute some wallpaper work or visual stuff (logo?) since im not into programming that much.......i just wanted to ask if you had anything in mind (except clouds) for the background or if i'm free to fool around

plus i'd also suggest a jpeg for bg

keep up the good work

#48 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

graphically, anything you want to do, go for it.

When I made the background a bitmap, the SDL_Image implementation didn't have jpeg support.

It does now, so I'll fix and update. There's a couple other things I want to fix prior to releasing another beta.

#49 wolf202

wolf202

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:48 PM

agasin i suck at photoshop, but i do not suck at html i coupld lend my skills as a web designer if anything was need.

-wolf

#50 Nafe

Nafe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:18 PM

I love the idea.
As for running on a retail box, I could easily make a separate MA exploit that would say OpenDash in the Campaign menu and would not overwrite the Linux one... (a little hex-editting and signing of the masave.sav file)

I think this should be released pre-habibi-signed for all other versions.

Great job so far.

Misc. comment:
QUOTE("RiceCake")
If you get all the MS dashboard files off of C, it would be a completely legal installer for softmods! It would require a fairly complex system though, you'd need to MD5 files to determine their version, patch them accordingly, then manipulate them as required by the softmod to the correct directories, etc...

IIRC, Ltools uses filesize to determine version of the dash. I may be wrong, though.

#51 JapanFred

JapanFred

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

Was gunna have a play with the source, see if i can fix anything, or help develop, but i can't get a hold of the source.

Can i get PM'd a link or get some info on when it's due up?

Cheers!

Dean

#52 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:06 PM

The links from hsdemonz worked but the ones from sixbit.org were taken down after suffocating my webhost's quota for a number of days straight. I know have webspace from xbox-scene.com so the problem is alleviated!

new links:
http://www.th0mas.xb...od-beta-src.zip
http://www.th0mas.xb...ses/od-beta.zip

Don't bother doing too much bugfixing on the current build. My rewrite-from-scratch is going along quickly and will be a full robust dashboard. More info soon.

#53 deadlokIV

deadlokIV

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding. Music. Drumming. Oversleeping without the consiquences!
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:01 AM

Downlab, i am extremely interested in opendash, and if you could, can you pm me /or/ post here your knowledge of the Opendash source.

I know C++, but i getting back to C right now and the code cannot be compiled in a C++ compiler AFAIK, so i guess it's Linux for me biggrin.gif (but linux hates my Nforce2 board...)...
do you use a C GNU IDE? I'd like to know please, as I think chipping in to OpenDash development would be a better way of using my time.

Thanks for both a great Dash, and a large contribution to the scene.

#54 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

deadlokIV: feel free to mess around a bit with the opendash source, but to be honest, I'm working on a c++ replacement that is much more robust (scripting, xml config'd menu, skinning, eeprom/file backup,etc.. all the features of a real dash) and also much easier to modify.

Right now, I just have openxdk installed and the openxdk/bin in my path, and run make manually. For file editing i just use "nedit". It's sloppy, but I've yet to find a nice, simple solution smile.gif.

In terms of interesting code, look at "testdisplay.c". It's the main functions in there. The other main functionality is in "display.c". It's _really_ sloppy and hacked together, so don't judge until you see the new code smile.gif. Basically all the menu choices are based around a "str_List" struct that contains all the info needed for the list of options in a menu, then there's generic classes that let the user choose one of the list (or hit B to back out), then the main loop in testdisplay.c takes care of handling the selection, updating the menu, or running some function.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. We might as well keep the conversation public as I think other people are looking at the source too.

#55 deadlokIV

deadlokIV

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding. Music. Drumming. Oversleeping without the consiquences!
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

Right im finishing up my crapped up version of open dash..
...actually it's more of a mod...trust me...biggrin.gif
added two menus etc, for the way i personally use my dashes but hey...

edited the CRAZY flashing backgrounds and snakes

about the sloppy thing? heh, yea like a miniture forest with no map biggrin.gif

Im a new'in to SDL programming and im starting to find it easy through this.

BTW. How did you get c++ working for openxdk?! i gave up...since i am addicted to code::blocks ide...
...usual story, tried to intsall openxdk...failing everywhere etc...

Well godspeed on the c++ dash, and lets all pray audio and networking will come soon (i dear friend, have plans wink.gif )

[[[.PS. Im having trouble compiling your ported librarys...mainly SDL_image....
...cp: cannot stat `SDL_image.h': No such file or directory
This is in Cygwin...]]]

#56 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(deadlokIV @ Jul 14 2005, 01:30 PM)
Right im finishing up my crapped up version of open dash..
...actually it's more of a mod...trust me...biggrin.gif
added two menus etc, for the way i personally use my dashes but hey...

edited the CRAZY flashing backgrounds and snakes

about the sloppy thing? heh, yea like a miniture forest with no map biggrin.gif

Im a new'in to SDL programming and im starting to find it easy through this.

Very cool! Glad to know some people are poking around in it

BTW. How did you get c++ working for openxdk?! i gave up...since i am addicted to code::blocks ide...
...usual story, tried to intsall openxdk...failing everywhere etc...

You can use c++ if you're very careful. The wrong step and at link time you end up with a bunch of unresolved dependencies in libstdc++. Yesterday I sussed out one cause of this to be using typeid() in a certain context. I've yet to determine exactly what that context is, but I know it's not every time that typeid() is used because I use it throughout the program and only in one spot does it cause the link errors. I know template's work, inheritance works, typeid() works some of the time, casting works, etc.. best bet is to check your compile whenever you add something like that.

Well godspeed on the c++ dash, and lets all pray audio and networking will come soon (i dear friend, have plans wink.gif )

audio is already working, and got better with Carcharius's CVS update awhile ago.

[[[.PS. Im having trouble compiling your ported librarys...mainly SDL_image....
...cp: cannot stat `SDL_image.h': No such file or directory
This is in Cygwin...]]]

View Post

Actually, just grab the latest openxdk binary release (or, even better, the source from CVS). They have SDL_Image, SDL_ttf and dependencies integrated into the build.

#57 VampireHunterD

VampireHunterD

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

jester.gif

The dash looks excellent! Since you're utilizing a mini linux distro, how about including TCL/TK scripting ability. It gives the users easy ability to script not only a skin, but a fully functional desktop. That way, if they REALLY want a media player, they can script it in!

Just a thought !

Edited by VampireHunterD, 19 August 2005 - 10:43 PM.

#58 bizzeh

bizzeh

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:16 AM

this is pretty cool, much better than when i tried to write a dash in openxdk (also called opendash)... tho i did try and write it back in the 0.0.2-Beta1 days...

soon as openxdk gets networking, ill give you some help getting an actual ftpd (filezilla) in there if you want...

keep up the good work

#59 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

thanks smile.gif

That'd be cool for the help once networking is a reality. I'm sure at that point the openxdk will appear much higher on people's radar.

#60 psyddicus

psyddicus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:27 AM

Just wanted to reply with a thank you for your hard work. I know it's been quite some time since any posts in this topic, but your beta came up just fine on my iND-5003 bios and it was cool to know that someone's putting such a good effort into an openXDK dash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users