• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(x Jack Ryan x @ Feb 14 2006, 12:06 AM) View Post

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I must have mislead you when I said the only way I could pass through HD signal from my cable box was through Component. The TV does have an HDMI (w/HDCP) input, but I had been told by TimeWarner that the HDMI output on my cable box was disabled. After posting on another forum, I found that there was a good chance the HDMI output would work and tada!, it does. So now I have the cable box connected through HDMI and the 'box through component. I also found a Philips component video switcher with 4 inputs for $20 at Walmart. So I now have another 3 component inputs if I need them.

As for the VGA being recommended, I guess I misunderstood the part of the FAQ that had the list of cables in order of quality... i.e. Composite<S-Video<Component<VGA

Thanks again for the help.

By the way, this TV looks pretty incredible... and at 1920x1080 for $1499 (after $100 rebate), it's a steal.

Glad to hear you've got your cable going through the HDMI... beerchug.gif

as for the quality listing Composite<S-Video<Component<VGA etc. that's in GENERAL terms, meaning most of the time that's the pecking order of quality video cables...

The Xbox 360 has problems outputting in VGA so it's like comparing a Toyota (component) to a Ferrari (VGA) only the ferrari has been smashed into a wall a few times. laugh.gif so you might as well go with the Toyota because the Ferrari is busted and the Toyota runs better, but if the Ferrari ever gets fixed it will be the better option.

#47 x Jack Ryan x

x Jack Ryan x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 14 2006, 06:57 AM) View Post

The Xbox 360 has problems outputting in VGA so it's like comparing a Toyota (component) to a Ferrari (VGA) only the ferrari has been smashed into a wall a few times. laugh.gif so you might as well go with the Toyota because the Ferrari is busted and the Toyota runs better, but if the Ferrari ever gets fixed it will be the better option.

Hahaha... perfect analogy! Thanks again...

#48 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE(x Jack Ryan x @ Feb 13 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I must have mislead you when I said the only way I could pass through HD signal from my cable box was through Component. The TV does have an HDMI (w/HDCP) input, but I had been told by TimeWarner that the HDMI output on my cable box was disabled. After posting on another forum, I found that there was a good chance the HDMI output would work and tada!, it does. So now I have the cable box connected through HDMI and the 'box through component. I also found a Philips component video switcher with 4 inputs for $20 at Walmart. So I now have another 3 component inputs if I need them.

As for the VGA being recommended, I guess I misunderstood the part of the FAQ that had the list of cables in order of quality... i.e. Composite<S-Video<Component<VGA

Thanks again for the help.

By the way, this TV looks pretty incredible... and at 1920x1080 for $1499 (after $100 rebate), it's a steal.

I just ordered that TV and yes, it is an incredible bargain! 70+ pages on that LCD at AVS forum now. I just hope I get the 2+ firmware. Though, you didn't mention the DVI. From what I understand, it also has a DVI input no? I'd actually like to see more tvs with less component inputs on the market. I's going to die anyway, so better sooner than later, and let MS hurry the F up with a DVI and/or HDMI dongle. Or at least fix the issue with the RGB washout because that's what I'd like to use for the 360, use the HDMI for an upscale DVD player, and possibly the DVI for a future STB. For now, I'll enjoy the OTA though.

Are any of you using RBG with LCD? If so, can you tweak it for a decent (at least on par with component) pic yet?

#49 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:20 AM

Shazaam! The answer to the lack of component input for that LCD occured to me. Twisted, how does the Xbox 1 look with the X2VGA dongle? Is it on par with or better than with component video? The reason I ask is that I want to upscale with the xbox 1 now but I also want to run the 360 via component video as there doesn't really seem to be any other choice atm. That way I could do 360 -> component, xbox-> vga, stb (later on) -> dvi, and perhaps hddvd/blu-ray (even later) -> hdmi. Though not sure on the Sceptre's DVI. Jack Ryan, do you know if it's a DVI-D? I"m guessing so since the ad states HDCP compliant.

#50 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Mar 7 2006, 12:27 AM) View Post

Shazaam! The answer to the lack of component input for that LCD occured to me. Twisted, how does the Xbox 1 look with the X2VGA dongle? Is it on par with or better than with component video? The reason I ask is that I want to upscale with the xbox 1 now but I also want to run the 360 via component video as there doesn't really seem to be any other choice atm. That way I could do 360 -> component, xbox-> vga, stb (later on) -> dvi, and perhaps hddvd/blu-ray (even later) -> hdmi. Though not sure on the Sceptre's DVI. Jack Ryan, do you know if it's a DVI-D? I"m guessing so since the ad states HDCP compliant.

I've never used a component/vga converter with an Xbox 1 but I've heard the picture comes out great. Be forewarned though, only games that support 480p will work. Alternatively you can also use a component/vga converter with the 360, I've heard that works very well also. Doing that you'd get the compatibility of the component output but through vga, and unlike the Xbox 1 it will always be the same resolution and ever game will support it. You might want to talk to Foe Hammer though, he seems to have a good level of experience with VGA stuff.

#51 daffymaria

daffymaria

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:55 AM

I finally bought my 360 ! smile.gif
I have a 32'' Philips TV which is HD ready. Along with my 360, I bought a VGA HD cable from Joytech and have connected my 360 with that. I am using a converter to connect the VGA cable on and then onto my TV's DVI input .. My TV plays my xbox in the PC mode and not the HD mode as it says it see's no signal from that. From my 360's dashboard I get a resolution that is 1360 x 768 widescreen,which is the highest I can get, and that's all it says. It doesn't mention anything like 480i, 720p etc ..But maybe it's not supposed to say anything like that in the dashboard, right ? So, should I assume I am running on HD and everything is correct/OK ?
If anyone understood and could give me an answer, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Daffy
xx

#52 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Interests:KoRn
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:04 AM

what I believe is that the monitors just run the resolutions. 1280 x 720 = 720p and 1360 x 768 = 1080i I think.. im not sure if monitors interlace or are progressive though pop.gif

#53 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

HD only refers to television resolutions... if you're using a computer monitor by definition you arn't running in HD.

That doesn't mean it's good or bad. computer monitors can run resolutions both better and worse then HD...

The reason you don't see HD ED and SD resolutions listed is because you're using a VGA adapter so the resolutions don't fall under television standards.

if you wanted to compare though 1360 x 768 most closely resembles 720p

Edited by twistedsymphony, 02 June 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#54 mobettaut

mobettaut

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:41 AM

I'm hearing that with the latest dashboard update, the "washed out" colors on the VGA cable have been corrected and that DVDs are being upconverted to your TV/Monitor's native resolution.
Can anyone confirm these two scenarios for me that games and DVDs look better?
I currently use component, but if its worth it I wouldn't mind picking up the VGA cable.
BTW, is the Joytech VGA cable good enough, or do I go with the MS VGA cable?
Thanks for any feedback.

P.S. - Sorry for being picky, its just if I know my 360 visual quality can be even slightly better, I'll go for it smile.gif

#55 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

DVDs still do not up-convert over component video.. they do however play at whatever resolution you have your VGA cable set to.

Colors are reportedly more vibrant but from what I've heard VGA is still washed out

As for the Joytech vs MS VGA cable... get the MS one because it comes with a couple of other small adapters you'll need, not to mention I've heard several reports of the Optical Audio port not working on the Joytech adapter.

#56 mobettaut

mobettaut

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

Thanks!

#57 Novahux

Novahux

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:52 AM

Important note:

If your TV is a native resolution of 1366x768 like nearly all Australian 32"-40" LCD TV's are
DONT' BUY a VGA CABLE!!

The VGA cable will only support a resolution of 1360x768 via the xbox system setup (up to this point)
that extra 6 pixels, results is a blurry and washed out image, I have tested 2 different brands of VGA cable and tried it on a Samsung 40" and a Sony bravia 32" LCD TV's.

Also I hooked up my Pc rig to the TV via VGA with my 7950GX2, and played Oblivion on (PC version) it, it looked fantastic at 1366x768, Although the Xbox version of oblivion via standard HD component cable 720p was just as good (more vibrant colours than the 7950GX2).

Then I hooked up the xbox vga cable at 1360x768 and ran oblivion, It was spectacularly craptastic.

#58 Novahux

Novahux

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:09 AM

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=3647953

Thread link to 720p Vs 1360x768 (on a 1366x768 TV) Screenshots.

#59 mad swej

mad swej

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

There are a couple things that are "weird" with my 360 right now. When i play Halo 2 on my 360 sometimes in certain maps images burn into the screen and wont go away until i turn of the console. Someimes they wont go away for hours if i turn the console off. Any ideas on this?

Another thing is that my 360 doesnt have PAL settings in the video setup. Ive gone there and the PAL settings option is not available. How do i bring this up? Do i have to change my res or anything like that?

#60 D33z

D33z

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Ok. I've done a little digging and I can't come to a definitive answer. This is my TV;

http://www.jvc.com/p...D...=125&page=2

I am using the component cables that came with the premium and I can take it to 1080i. (though I prefer 720p) I know that the cable will not support 1080p. At xbox.com they show their VGA cable and claim that it will only output up to 1080i. Here;

http://www.xbox.com/...x360vgahdcable/

So, my question, is how can I utilize my TV's native 1080p resoluton? I haven't heard anything about an HDMI cable being produced. I was hoping that that would become an option once the HD-DVD add-on came out, but I haven't heard anything. Is there any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users