15 replies to this topic

#1 keiths

keiths

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 01:00 AM

lc204 and I are in the planning stages of a Windows program to manage XBox game saves (like the software that comes with Sharkport for the PS2 or DexDrive for the PSX) and to facilitate the trading of game saves with other gamers or to download game saves from the net, etc.

The feature list that we came up with so far is:
* Dual list boxes (one shows game saves that are your XBox's hard drive, one shows game save that are on your PC's hard drive).
* Ability to transfer games saves between the 2 lists (PC -> XBox, XBox -> PC).
* Ability to delete game saves.
* Ability to add a description (i.e. "all courses unlocked")

I worked up a prototype GUI which is pretty ugly but it does connect to the XBox and retreive a list of all game saves on the XBox. A screen shot it at:
www,geocities.com/kskapinski/xsavemgr.gif
(you have to retype it into your browser, as Geocities is weird about linking - MAKE SURE IT'S ALL lowercase!)

Anyway, we need to recruit some additional talent for this project. Graphics artists (for icons, graphics, etc.), testers (for debugging, etc.), etc., etc.

A web site for hosting the finished product and to act as a repository for game saves for users to download and/or upload to may be needed. Right now, it looks like a few people over at xboxhacker are working on that, so this aspect may be covered. But if it falls through, it would be a good idea to have some web developers, graphic artists, and people able to provide web space available.

But the thing we need most right now are "brainstormers" to can up with some ideas about what features it should have, layout, implementation, etc.

Post away if you have any ideas, feedback, or can help in other ways...

#2 Ichijouji

Ichijouji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 02:26 AM

http://www.alwaysdark.com/xsavemgr.gif

No need to worry about filthy anti-link crud. =D

#3 PROXUS

PROXUS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 04:32 AM

I can take a graphic part, got some experience with it wink.gif let me know.

#4 keiths

keiths

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:12 AM

Ichijouhi, thanks for mirroring. Very much appreciated.

PROXUS, check your PM and thanks.

Everyone else, post some features that you would like to see.

#5 Ichijouji

Ichijouji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:49 AM

I'd be interested in becoming a tester, and I can also do some brainstorming. When I get the time I can whip up some design documents. =D

#6 keiths

keiths

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:40 AM

Thanks Ichijouji. That would be great!

A design document. What a concept. smile.gif That would be very nice. We keep coming up with features that it should have, etc. but everything is just in our emails and in various forums right now. sad.gif

Alpha testing would also be very useful so we can, hopefully, have a more stable beta and eventually a more stable release.

Right now the program DOES connect to the XBox and DOES build and display a list of all the game saves which are on the XBox hard drive. Seems to work good for me and lc204, but it would be nice to know that it works for others as well (since everybody has different network configurations, etc.)

If you want to test that portion of it on you set up (and play with GUI a little), e-mail me and I'll send you what we have.

Let me know if you can definately do the design document or not.

Thanks again.

Anyone else?

#7 Ichijouji

Ichijouji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 02:06 AM

I know I can do a design document, it'll be a fun thing to do. I'll get started on it this weekend, since I'll have plenty of time. tongue.gif

#8 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 August 2002 - 04:06 AM

keiths , if you need hosting for your project , just mail me (xantium@xbox-scene.com).

As long as the website is legal and does not contain software build with XDK you can get hosting (free/no ads) from us.

#9 cONEction

cONEction

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 02:36 PM

why using delphi? is there a reason you choose for Delphi , i would like to know biggrin.gif

#10 keiths

keiths

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 12:15 AM

cONEction,

It's just a matter of preference for me. This project could easily be done in VB, VC++, etc.

I used to use VB, but since I tried Delphi, I never looked back. In general, I find the Borland languages (Delphi and C++ Builder) produce much better code (executables) than the MS products (VB, VC++), especially for programs that require top performance. I once wrote an emulator in VB and it was slow. I converted it to Delphi and it flew. I disassembled the code that both compilers produced and was amazed at how well Borland took advantage of the CPU registers, CPU features, etc.

It's said that if you really want performance, you should use assembly language, but the assembly language that was produced from my code by Delphi was almost as if it were written in assembly from the start. You can also use "in-line assembler with Delphi" if you wanted to.

Of course for this project, the demands on a system are very minimal, so it wouldn't be much of an issue. Also, computers are much faster nowadays.

I also like the fact that the Borland products produce stand-alone executables so users don't have to go and download the proper version of a VB runtime DLL or anything. Technically, you could compile with VB to produce a stand-alone EXE, but then it is huge and bloated with unused code.

I'm not bashing the MS products, though. Out of the box, they do have some advantages over the Borland products. For one thing, the MS products usually have the latest UI components first (like when "flat" icons came out, MS had them first, "XP" style icons, etc.) and the latest database components first. It usually takes Borland until the next version to catch up.

Again, just my personal opinion, which I'm entitled to, so no flaming please. smile.gif

PS. If anyone wants to try out Delphi, go to Borland's site and download their free Delphi 6 Personal edition. No time limits, no nags, no limits on non-commercial distribution! They just left out some of the extra components, like Database, some Internet, etc. but you can easily find Shareware or Freeware components which offer the same or better functionality.

PPS. I don't want to turn this thread into a "which is better, MS or Borland?" thread, but it is an interesting topic. If anyone wants to continue it let's start a new topic and quote this message (minus this PPS) and we'll see where it goes. It might be useful for potential developers to read opinions when they are trying to decide which to use. Of course, it would really only apply to developing for Windows, but it's still a valid topic since Windows will be the platform for many XBox-related apps (i.e. this program).

#11 cyrusuncc

cyrusuncc

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 07:10 AM

sounds like a great project!

Features:
Peer-to-Peer Sharing of saves OR online main server that saves can be uploaded to and downloaded from.

#12 cyrusuncc

cyrusuncc

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 07:11 AM

also, i wouldn't mind being an "alpha" tester.. at least until a beta comes out!

pm or email me if your still interested

#13 Spartan117.1

Spartan117.1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 08:35 PM

I will hapily provide space for this project. My new sites nearly ready and will be up at www.xboxhackingevolved.tk. If you don't want to it wont matter. I will also hold all the saves for peeps to download as well. biggrin.gif

#14 PROXUS

PROXUS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:20 PM

Keiths I just sent you the panel graphix ...still workin on splash....send me info what you want on it except X SAVES MANAGER dry.gif

#15 keiths

keiths

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 04:41 AM

Proxus,
That was AWESOME. See my e-mail about some technical questions I had for you about implementing it. Thanks!!!!!!

Cyrusuncc,
Be on the look out for an alpha to test the transferring of game saves back and fourth between XBox and PC in the next few days.

Spartan117.1,
Thanks for your support. We just secured web hosting from www.xbox-scene.com (thanks guys) but may take you up on your offer to hold the game saves. I'll contact you again when we get a little closer to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users