doublebass2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:sex,drums and videogames...
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

ok, i see that a lot of people want to get that extra progressive signal out of their big black box,not only in games but in dvd and movies(while we here at Europe are still behind in this matter..),i a m just wondering....has anyone tried a professional video scaler(you know,the thing that process any image into higher resolutions...),instead of waiting the game console to do that?i suppose that the picture will be much crisper than that found through the conexant xbox scaling chip,without worrying whether the game itself supports 720p or 1080i,and not expecting framerate loss,imagine sharp pristure for all the xbox games.....does anyone know about the holo3dgraph (pci video card)card,heard it was cheap...for a scaler that is ...has anyone tried processing the image through a scaler,do you know a cheap but good one to afford?i just wish i could make use of my 21 inch pc monitor,in order to display 1080i on all xbox games all the time...

#2 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(doublebass2 @ Jul 2 2005, 08:20 AM)
ok, i see that a lot of people want to get that extra progressive signal out of their big black box,not only in games but in dvd and movies(while we here at Europe are still behind in this matter..),i a m just wondering....has anyone tried a professional video scaler(you know,the thing that process any image into higher resolutions...),instead of waiting the game console to do that?i suppose that the picture will be much crisper than that found through the conexant xbox scaling chip,without worrying whether the game itself supports 720p or 1080i,and not expecting framerate loss,imagine sharp pristure for all the xbox games.....does anyone know about the holo3dgraph (pci video card)card,heard it was cheap...for a scaler that is ...has anyone tried processing the image through a scaler,do you know a cheap but good one to afford?i just wish i could make use of my 21 inch pc monitor,in order to display 1080i on all xbox games all the time...

View Post

Uh, dude you are really missing the point.

A scaler/doubler, etc. doesn't increase the amount of information. It just expands the image and softens it so it looks better.

A game that actually supports 1080i or 720p or even native 480p will draw tons more pixel information on the screen and therefore create a better image than any scaler can produce.

#3 irfan

irfan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

people in the hometheater world use external scalers quite often. My zenith DVD player upscales a 480p signal to a 1080i and the image is MUCH better. its much much better even tho its the same 480p source. Different scalers produce different results.

doublebass2 seemed to be asking if anyone used a scaler on xbox games to make them look better.. and yes they CAN look much better with a scaler jsut as a DVD can look better thru a scaler regardless of its native 480p format. Using a quality Faroudja scaler to upvert a 480p xbox signal to 1080i will probably give great results. i know on my projector that 480p games are very blocky, and a scaler would reduce this. Yes the scaler introduces artificial information but the 'softness' introduced smoothes out the lines and gives a much cleaner looking picture, NOT a soft mess.

If a good scaler can make standard TV look decent on a 120" screen, it will make the xbox look better. Head to head with a 1080i game vs scaled game, the 1080i native will PROBABLY be sharper, but u lose framerate and you dont have a wide variety of games to pick from.

Additionally there is a very good chance that the doubler in the xbox is inferior in quality compared to a high end scaler...just like some dvd player give a better 480p image than others with the same DVD...and sometimes a TV will upvert to 480p better than a DVD player, meaning you dont use a 480p player and instead let the TV handle it. If you want the smoothest running games then the best solution for quality would be a scaler.

he's not missing the point, the fact is that 1080i games are rare (for a reason.. the xbox cant process it fast enough) so the scaler is a very good option. I dont have the 1200 dollars to spend on a quality scaler tho or id be using one right now and not looking at jaggies on the screen.

#4 doublebass2

doublebass2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:sex,drums and videogames...

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(irfan @ Jul 26 2005, 12:22 AM)
people in the hometheater world use external scalers quite often.  My zenith DVD player upscales a 480p signal to a 1080i and the image is MUCH better.  its much much better even tho its the same 480p source.  Different scalers produce different results.

doublebass2 seemed to be asking if anyone used a scaler on xbox games to make them look better.. and yes they CAN look much better with a scaler jsut as a DVD can look better thru a scaler regardless of its native 480p format.  Using a quality Faroudja scaler to upvert a 480p xbox signal to 1080i will probably give great results.  i know on my projector that 480p games are very blocky, and a scaler would reduce this.  Yes the scaler introduces artificial information but the 'softness' introduced smoothes out the lines and gives a much cleaner looking picture, NOT a soft mess.

If a good scaler can make standard TV look decent on a 120" screen, it will make the xbox look better.  Head to head with a 1080i game vs scaled game, the 1080i native will PROBABLY be sharper, but u lose framerate and you dont have a wide variety of games to pick from. 

Additionally there is a very good chance that the doubler in the xbox is inferior in quality compared to a high end scaler...just like some dvd player give a better 480p image than others with the same DVD...and sometimes a TV will upvert to 480p better than a DVD player, meaning you dont use a 480p player and instead let the TV handle it.  If you want the smoothest running games then the best solution for quality would be a scaler.

he's not missing the point, the fact is that 1080i games are rare (for a reason.. the xbox cant process it fast enough) so the scaler is a very good option. I dont have the 1200 dollars to spend on a quality scaler tho or id be using one right now and not looking at jaggies on the screen.

View Post

my point exactly!!!!thanks 4 the support!!either way, unfortunately,i cant invest on a very good(but pricey) scaler,so i am just gonna have 2 settle with the much less pricey vd-z3 that i ll b expecting in a week,in order to upgrade the visuals of my current xbox,(and hopefully to benefit from the xbox 360 high definition capabilities to my big computer monitor).it s 2 bad that some of the best games (including the online -offline multiplayer)ever made dont deserve the visual aspect that they should have(imagine a far cry insincts or doom3 and halo1,2 on 1080i/p......that sould give the pc fanboys along with their 6-10 times more expensive video cards a heartache....i can still remember the frown on my friend s ,with a 6800 ultra video card ,face when he figured out the much lesser difference that he expected to see in the xbox version of doom3 compared to the no coop pc version,imagine him if i had a better resolution...oh,well,xbox 360 ,might give the edge i longed 4...)

#5 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

lets us know how it works out with the scaler, i have a progscan dvd player and picture still looks like 480i, everything is enabled in the menu's and its also plugged to a 480p/1080i input yet it still looks fuzzy

#6 irfan

irfan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:55 AM

does the DVD player have a progressive enable button/switch? can u notice ANY difference? maybe get a diff DVD player?

#7 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:14 PM

panasonic

yeah everything is enabled in the dvd player menu so i dont get it, maybe ill take it ove to my parents house and test it out on there tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users