• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:12 AM

I have gone through about 60 or so posts trying to find my own answer to this with no luck.

My goal is to restore my XBOX to it's Live ready state without fear of banishment.

Here is my story;

XBOX 1.6 (11-18-2004 manufacture date)
Samsung DVD
Non Modded/never modded
Xbox Live V3.0 (I think, I have downloaded the Halo 2 maps and play online regularly, so whatever is the latest)

What I was doing when it went bad.
I purchased an advanced A/V pack on Sat for the digital audio. changed out the old red white yellow with the new A/v pack. Turned on machine with Halo 2 in drive.

Halo 2 booted up, I couldn't get surround sound so I turned off the machine and pulled Halo 2 in order to see if there was a setting for the audio. Restarted machine, "21 Service Required Contact Customer Support" with 8 additional languages besides english.

Thought (not that it made any sense) but maybe the A/V pack was the problem, took it off put the old one on. No love, the 21 persisted.

Called 1800xbox whatever and was told that I needed to send it to them for 79.99 charge plus shipping. No thanks Raj.

Started researching the error on the web, got bored, said fxxx it and finished the campaign of Halo 2 (what a lame ending)

Read up some more, saw that perhaps using a live enabled game might allow my xboxdash.xbe to be magically restored. Could not connect to live via Halo 2, was able to access the network troubleshooter which crapped out during step 2 IP verification. The system did allow me to change settings etc. just could never get it working to get online.

Tried burnout 3, it locked up on the loading screen at approximately 80% of the loading bar.
Tried MLB Slugfest 2003, booted up and ran but could not access live.

Researched some more, downloaded a couple of dashboards/boot disks but as we all now know, they do not work without a MOD chip because of the boot order of the bios.

From what I have gathered my options are as follows:

Pay Bill 80 something bucks to have Raj run some sort of signed boot disk to restore my dashboard

Purchase a MOD chip,Install, restore the original dashboard files using Slayers Auto Installer,remove and sell MOD, continue playing online

Goto blockbuster and see if I can have them use their signed format CD to blow all info away on my machine, loose all of my existing save games and data,call XBOX live and have them restore my acct (should be without a problem b/c my serial number will stay the same?)

Do nothing and play the games that I can play locally until 360 is released

Can anyone think of anything else I can do to correct the problem?

Do I need to provide any additional/different info?

Thank you in advance,

Newbie Jim

Additional Info: I do know someone that has a modded Xbox, though I do not know which chip, Would it be feasible that I remove my HD, use his machine to unlock, use slayer to restore the dash, then re lock the drive (I think that last part is where it will fail b/c it has to lock w/ my motherboard?) Any thoughts on this?

#2 TracerX

TracerX

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:56 AM

Fun problem. I would back up your saves (save and move to a friend's xbox if you have too much stuff to fit on one memory card); install a softmod; get evox to backup your eeprom, hdkey, and such; move said backup to a computer; put that backup info on a floppy so that xboxhdm can access it; run xboxhdm to unlock, rebuild, and re-lock the hard drive; go on enjoying life. Okay, it doesn't sound easy but there are worse alternatives (aka 79.95 to Raj).

#3 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:31 AM

Here's another alternative :

* Get a fresh copy of the 5960 dash (Slayers)
* Hotswap the drive to PC (tut in sig)
* Use xboxhdm (and it's included filebrowser) (tut in sig)
* Delete everything on c: , replace with 5960 dash
* Put back in xbox
* Done

Or, if you know someone with a modded xbox or if you have an AR card:

* Buy ot rent one of the 3 exploitable games
* Get 'whatever' softmod on a memcard and transfer to xbox
* Start the softmod, no need to actual install, you will now have FTP access
* Delete everything on c: , replace with 5960 dash
* Done

#4 theincrediblechris

theincrediblechris

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:xbox w00t

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:32 AM

Or spend that $80 on a modchip and run the dashboard installer(s) you got. smile.gif

#5 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:43 AM

Tracer X,

when you say backup my saves, can I access the Memory card without going to the dashboard (IE. save from a game to the memory card?)

Soullar,

Thanks for the directions and links in your sig. I am weary of trying to hotswap but f=it I can buy another Xbox if I have to!

You guys have any info on failure rates for the hotswaps? (lets assume that I discharge my static at a minimum...)

If I purchased a MODchip, installed it, fixed up my box and then removed it. Where could I attempt to resell it??

Anyway thanks guys, a bunch of useful info here.

Jim

#6 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(Soullar @ Jul 7 2005, 04:42 AM)
Here's another alternative :

* Hotswap the drive to PC (tut in sig)
* Use xboxhdm (and it's included filebrowser) (tut in sig)

Soullar,

You mention here that I should Hotswap and your xboxhdm.
The tutorials have different tasks. the xboxhdm tut says that I need to put my eeprom.bin into the linux folder before I create my bootable cdr. Hotswap guide says that is the point to get the eeprom then burn it into second cdr.

I assume that I will create the xboxhdm disk without the eeprom.bin and acquire it during the hotswap then recreate the bootable cdr and boot it again.

Is that assumption correct?

Do I even need the eeprom.bin to reformat the c: drive?

TIA

#7 Vayate

Vayate

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:16 AM

I recommend that you softmod with an exploitable game, then boot an avalaunch boot disk. After that, unplug your ethernet cable and place a game DVD (preferable a recently-released one) in the Xbox drive. Use File Manager to access the D drive and run Dashupdate.xbe.

Works like a charm, and it's easier than hotswapping.

Edited by Vayate, 12 July 2005 - 03:17 AM.

#8 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(Vayate @ Jul 11 2005, 11:27 PM)
I recommend that you softmod with an exploitable game, then boot an avalaunch boot disk. After that, unplug your ethernet cable and place a game DVD (preferable a recently-released one) in the Xbox drive. Use File Manager to access the D drive and run Dashupdate.xbe.

Works like a charm, and it's easier than hotswapping.

View Post

Don't I have to have Action Replay to get the save games onto my xbox?

My box is unmodded+ a 1.6 version.So I am not sure how the exploitable game would work in this situation.

Accessiblity to a modded XBOX involves a 2hour drive.

Do the pros agree or disagree that Hotswap or Modchip are my preferred choices at this time?

Again guys, thanks for the help in advance.

#9 Vayate

Vayate

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:54 AM

An Action Replay or Mega X Key would probably be the cheapest solution. MS memcards don't like exploit saves as far as I know.

#10 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:25 AM

Oddly enough.

Now I cannot even boot into Halo 2. I have made no physical changes to the system yet. i was going to borrow an Action Replay card from a guy at work and getting ready to rent/buy one of the exploitable games.

Anyone have any idea why it went from allowing me to play certain games (Halo2,MLB Slugfest) to not booting anything.

Does this behavior indicate the hard drive is going bad?

Will reinstalling the MS dash matter at this point?

I am full of questions and I have no answers...

TIA

Edited by buckeye90, 13 July 2005 - 02:26 AM.

#11 br0w

br0w

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:36 AM

well, from what ive heard, you have a limited number of boots before it stops. looks like you might have to hotswap with xboxhdm and the C and E drive from slayers. its pretty simple, and its almost all automated. but see if an exploitable game can boot first.

#12 dumdasme

dumdasme

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:41 AM

Did you leave your xbox unplugged for a long enough time to for the clock to reset. if so, this is why you can't boot the games anymore.

Using AR won't work, you would need to be able to transfer the saves to your xbox hdd (which you need to access the xbox dash to be able to do), and now that you can't boot any games, that is definitely out of the option.

Does this behavior indicate the hard drive is going bad?

Does your hdd make funny clicking or grinding noises? it could also be caused by corrupted files or a bad ethernet.

My suggestion, do like soullar said and hotswap and restore c drive w/ files off slayers. Since you don't have your eeprom, you can't put it in the eeprom folder so don't worry about it.

@Vayate - M$ mem cards have never had a problem in my experience. AR i wouldn't recommend if possible because it tends to corrupt large gamesaves. haven't heard much about Mega X Key so i assume it works fine

#13 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

dumdasme - I did leave my xbox unplugged. Hence no more game playing...

BTW, my hard drive is fine, I didn't realize the clock cycle would cause the error to change.

Here is where I am:

I hotswapped, drive was unlocked, hit option 2 on xboxhd, and successfully restored the C:drive.

Plug the drive back into the xbox, still get an error 21 once I get the DVDRom plugged back in and the HD plugged back in.

Tried it with a game in and without one.

The files that I used for the restore are as follows:
07/16/2005 12:29 AM <DIR> Audio
07/16/2005 12:29 AM <DIR> fonts
07/16/2005 12:15 AM 17,068,868 XBox Book.xtf
07/16/2005 12:15 AM 15,613,736 Xbox.xtf
07/16/2005 12:15 AM 1,961,984 xboxdash.xbe
07/16/2005 12:29 AM <DIR> xboxdashdata.185ead00
07/16/2005 12:29 AM <DIR> xodash

from SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.6FINAL disk, extracted to my HD with QWIX then the C:drive folder from SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.6FINAL\SYSTEM\ALL\c was copied over to xboxhdm\linux\C before I ran make-iso-win.bat and burned the raw image using NERO 6.

Now I feel like I did everything correctly. If I do a second hotswap and use the xbrowser to see the midnight commander. All files on the XBOX C:\ drive are from this morning when I made the c drive restore. The files on the E: drive are still my gamesaves and data from before.

What is next?

THanks to those who have helped. You were right that it wasn't that hard to do the hotswap error 12 does make it easier. I just wish everything was working at this
point.

Please advise as to what I need to do to continue to correct the situation.

#14 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:13 AM

Tried to rebuild C: again, still getting error 21.

Just read something like "the kernel is reporting an error 6 incorrectly (error 6 sucks ass btw)."

What does this mean and is it something I need to consider?

HELP

#15 buckeye90

buckeye90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:34 AM

Ignore that last post. When rereading it says if the MS doesn't come up then you get an error. The logo is coming up then going to 21.

Still working on this. I have reextracted Slayers and xboxhdm. Rebuilt my linux image and reburned incase a file was bad.

Hotswapped. Restored the C drive. Verified the exact files I refer to below as being there (Later timestamp now) and I still get 21.

C'mon guys, what is triggering the 21? I have a brand spanking new dash straight from slayers disk. I know from reading that it has saved many an ass b4. Not giving me any love. Does the XBOX need to be put back together before firing it up? Do I need to leave it unplugged for 5 hours?

Will a modchip even save me at this juncture?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users