• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ridefour15

ridefour15

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:57 AM

A few nights out of the week I wake up to find my Internet is down, and it happens occasionally during the day when I'm at work as well.

The only solution I've found so far is to cycle the modem, then go into the router webpage and Renew IP from the WAN section, and then I get connected to the DHCP again and voila! Internet.

Does anyone have any idea why I get disconnected like this? I have cable through Comcast and I seem to get the same IP address, DNS, Default Gateway, and all that stuff each time, even though it's set for dynamic IP address.

Is this something I should call Comcast about?

#2 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:54 AM

Hello kind sir.

If you always get the same network setting, do not the router for a dynamic address, make it static. Maybe the problem is with power surges that cause your router to reboot. Whenever the power flashes off here even for a second, my router resets b/c i have no UPS (which I regret).

If that doesn't fix it, it is a problem with the modem and call Comcast. Or you could try hacking into your cable modem to give it a static ip as well as Comcast's DHCP server will always have a lease on your ip settings for you except in the unlikely event that it runs out and must use it for another computer in which case you will have to turn dynamic back on and reconfigure.

Use Google to search how to hack your modem if necessary.

PM me for more help and good luck.

#3 XeroKitsune

XeroKitsune

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Anime, Video Games, & random other things.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:46 PM

By chance is that a westell modem? If so you may be experancing the same stupidity I have seen on one of thier DSL, the modem will overheat and then drop the wan connection. It sees the wan connection but it fails the communication, after a reboot of the modem it normaly will work.
If it is a westell modem make shur it's well venelated and not sitting on or near a heat source. (personaly since most cable companies rent thier modems I would call them up and request/demand another type of modem)

#4 ridefour15

ridefour15

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

It's a D-Link wireless G router that I got as a recommendation from a good friend of mine who's my local networking guru, yet even he cannot figure out why it disconnects. It replaced an older Linksys router that crapped out on me.

#5 ridefour15

ridefour15

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

Also, the the modem is a Motorolla surfboard modem. I've had it for quite sometime, and haven't had problems until maybe the past two months or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users