9 replies to this topic

#1 BigNamek

BigNamek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:21 AM

Hi, I just soft-modded an Xbox I bought from a friend and was wondering if there is are applications that would have media player functionality. I am hoping that an application like this could playback popular media formats like MPEG 1/2/4, DivX, Quicktime, MP3, JPEG, etc. I guess that is the only type of application that I know I would want. Are they any interesting/cool/fun/unique apps that you may know of? I would love to hear about that.

Although this question doesn't necessarily apply here, I know, I can't round down with forum I should post it. As I have mentioned I bought the Xbox from a friend and he still has game save data and music that he would like to have. I made an USB-to-Xbox cable, used a CF card reader, and Action Replay to install the soft-mod, but I can't get the memory card to copy information any bigger then 5 blocks from an Xbox to the memory card that I made. Anyway, I was hoping that I could FTP the saves to my PC, zip them, then use Action Replay to transfer the saves to the memory card I made. Anyone know how I can take the gamesave data from the modded Xbox and get it to my memory card? Also, I could copy from the memory card (CF card to Xbox transfer) just fine. Also, is there a way to take the music that was stored on the HD and convert it into MP3s or something so that I can reburn them for my friend. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 THDVL

THDVL

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:24 PM

Xbox Media Center (XBMC) is amazing. It plays almost all known media formats, has lots of scripts, and makes a great dash.

X-S XBMC forum
What XBMC is/does
Official XBMC forum

There are also lots of other nice apps you might like. Check The "usual place" And here's a link to the software section of X-S.
*note* Dont get XBMC confused with XBMP(xboxmediaplayer).. XBMP is no longer devolped or supported.

XboxMediaCenter is a free open source (GPL) multimedia player for the Xbox™ from MS. Currently XboxMediaCenter can be used to play/view most common video/audio/picture formats such as MPEG-1/2/4, DivX, XviD, MP3, AAC, JPG, GIF plus many more less known formats directly from a CD/DVD in Xbox DVD-ROM drive or of Xbox hard-drive, XBMC can also stream files from a PC over a local network and even stream media streams directly from the internet. XBMC has playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast and many audio visualizations. All these features enable the Xbox™ running XboxMediaCenter to fully function as a multimedia jukebox. XBMC is easy to install and use, it's very convenient and flexible plus offers a great price/performance ratio. XBMC is of also course completely free of any adware or spyware. (This, The XboxMediaCenter Project is also known as "Xbox Media Center" or simply "XBMC"). Note! XBMC is a hobby project that is only developed by volunteers in their spare-time for free. -- xboxmediacenter.de

About the gamesaves issue.. try Xbox saves manager .. I'm not sure about the memory card however. GL

Edited by THDVL, 08 July 2005 - 12:38 PM.

#3 BigNamek

BigNamek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

Thank you for the response, but hopefully there will be more conclusive answers for my music and game save questions.

I just came about something called "Auto-Installer Deluxe" that seems that it will be able to provide me with plenty of applications and dashboards. However, I was wondering, does XBMC have game backup capabilities? I like the idea of being able to switch between many different dashes, but I would like to be able to set my heart on one. Thus far, there seem to be pros and cons for all the dashboards, so maybe switching between them will not be a bad idea, esspecially because I am going to take my 120GB HDD from my old computer and use it in my Xbox. Oh well, thank you again for the response. I really appreciate your help.

#4 THDVL

THDVL

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

No XBMC doesnt have game backup capibilities nor does anyother dash afaik. Just use DVD2xbox or PXhddloader. Both are great apps. You can find em in the usual place. Sorry I cant help you with your music issue. I can honestly say I never copied a cd to the xbox hdd via the M$ dash. I've only ripped to mp3 and ogg using XBMC. GL

Here's a link to give you an Idea of what XBMC will look like once u set it up.

Edited by THDVL, 08 July 2005 - 02:02 PM.

#5 Zanatos

Zanatos

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(THDVL @ Jul 8 2005, 09:10 AM)
No XBMC doesnt have game backup capibilities nor does anyother dash afaik. Just use DVD2xbox or PXhddloader. Both are great apps. You can find em in the usual place. Sorry I cant help you with your music issue. I can honestly say I never copied a cd to the xbox hdd via the M$ dash. I've only ripped to mp3 and ogg using XBMC. GL

Here's a link to give you an Idea of what XBMC will look like once u set it up.

View Post

not true, avalaunch has game backup abilities in its filemanager. just go to file mananger, insert a disc (it will show up under your D partition), then just go to the second window and navigate to your games folder, go back to the first window and select your D drive for transfer, then push start and select transfer que. there you have it, buitl right into the dash.

#6 BigNamek

BigNamek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:16 PM

Does anyone atleast know where the music files are stored on the hard drive?

#7 BigNamek

BigNamek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:32 PM

Also, would I be able to install applications in Xbox Media Center the same way I could with EvoX?

#8 THDVL

THDVL

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:16 AM

Does anyone atleast know where the music files are stored on the hard drive?
E/TDATA/fffe0000/music

Also, would I be able to install applications in Xbox Media Center the same way I could with EvoX?
Yes.. just put your apps in F:/Apps or wherever you want and edit your xboxmediacenter.xml to point to that directory. You dont have to make it your default dash to be able to use/enjoy it. Try it out first and get used to it before you make the switch. Just put it in your apps directory and launch it like anyother app.

not true, avalaunch has game backup abilities in its filemanager
Nice wink.gif I never got around to using Ava much. found it to be ugly and difficult to navigate. I always use pxhddloader or dvd2xbox for my backup needs.

Edited by THDVL, 09 July 2005 - 01:17 AM.

#9 GametagAeonFlux

GametagAeonFlux

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

If you can't get it there, check your PM box. wink.gif

*don't worry people, I didn't send him XBMC or anything illegal*

And dvd2xbox will be what you'll use to backup games to your HDD, once again found at the Usual Places.

#10 BigNamek

BigNamek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

Okay peeps, sorry to revive an old thread, but I need some help. Anyway, I am currently using the Xbox-Saves Manager program and it's pretty cool. However, when I transfer saves over to my computer and try to save them to my home-made memory card an error pops up and says "this is not a valid xbox save" when I attempt to transfer it via Action Replay. Some did work, however. Any idea why most of the other games would not transfer? sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users