ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:38 PM

i was in a splinter cell match lobby rrom, and all of a sudden the host starts talking shit saying "oh, MR. Michigan" trying to act cool and scare me by knowing where i lived, when obviously, he somehow grabbed my ip address.
he then booted me, im guessing by blocking my IP from his router or something.

my question is... is this an application he used specific for xbox live?
or is it possible as host of games, to somehow see whos connected to you, and just block them through a firewall to boot them, by maybe a network sniffer?

i really have no use for such a app or whatever, just curious how he did it, as he didnt sound too smart when he was trying to talk smack.

thanks

#2 irishdrunk

irishdrunk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Xbox's of course, poker, midgets, women, idiots.....not jail
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:02 PM

Wow that's weird,maybe he knew you from here. Its says from Michigan under your avatar. But then how did he boot you?
I usually make shit up like this on Halo 2 Live to get the cheaters and "de-levelers" to get out of the game. Tell them I will have there credit card number it 3 more minutes or something and they bail quick. biggrin.gif

If you figure this out let us know as i would be a good way to combat cheaters I think.

#3 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

no, he knew where my partner was from also... it was definitely an IP address he had, because i was like "oh wow, you got my IP address, what the hell you gonna do with that" and he goes "how about this" and i got booted.

#4 Staticvoid

Staticvoid

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:18 AM

sounds like he has it routed thru a computer, any network sniffer would grap the ip from there. quick lookup and he knows your isp

a few people are using this as a cheat now they start the game and if they are host they just block your ip, server thinks you quit the game.

#5 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

Yeah... ICS, a packet sniffer or some sort of command like "netstat -a", and a firewall... that's all you need and it sound VERY doable.

#6 00g

00g

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:18 AM

I've had something like this happen to me twice.

The first time, I was playing Team Slayer with some other people, and we got modded against in Warlock.

One of the guys on my team, put his controller down for a few minutes, then came back and said, he got the dude's IP, and sent a bunch of something or another's from it, which would result in a ban.

Then another time, (this was the very day the new maps became available online) I got into a custom game with some random person that also had the new maps. We were playing in Backwash and he had a modded map already. The SMG shot rockets...etc etc. Well at one point he told me he was gonna freeze me. I called BS, and my screen froze. There was nothing I could do. I couldn't hit start, or exit game or anything. I had to reboot the XBOX.

#7 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

hmmmmm..... I wonder if you can "nuke" an XBOX if you have the IP... or if you can time it out....

Interesting... after all, the box is a small PC... right ?

#8 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Gamming,<br />Women,<br />Films,<br />Fine Food,<br />Drinking With My Mates<br /> - Not In That Order.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:28 PM

This is scary. Since when had these cheaters, who say they are modders, get smart?

Tracking ip address is easy, I wouldn't know where to find the address (house I mean ) and such outside the uk.

And freezing the xbox? Never heard of that. I have had my PC frozen by some random hacker years ago twice but never on an xbox.

This is more then cheating and something that MS should address, surely this is again privacy of xbox live contract.

Edited by Ozy, 09 July 2005 - 08:28 PM.

#9 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(Ozy @ Jul 9 2005, 09:39 PM)
This is scary. Since when had these cheaters, who say they are modders, get smart?

Tracking ip address is easy, I wouldn't know where to find the address (house I mean ) and such outside the uk.

And freezing the xbox? Never heard of that. I have had my PC frozen by some random hacker years ago twice but never on an xbox.

This is more then cheating and something that MS should address, surely this is again privacy of xbox live contract.

View Post

If you think about it, it's not really that hard..
All you need is a packet sniffer and see wich IP is the one that has more traffic when the guy you want to boot is talking. And then, you can either (probably) block it in your firewall if you have ICS, or overload his xbox if your connection is fast enough.

It is a scary thought nontheless.

#10 bAd poisoN

bAd poisoN

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE(00g @ Jul 9 2005, 03:29 AM)
Well at one point he told me he was gonna freeze me. I called BS, and my screen froze. There was nothing I could do. I couldn't hit start, or exit game or anything. I had to reboot the XBOX.

View Post

QUOTE(Ozy @ Jul 9 2005, 02:39 PM)

View Post

"Freezing The Xbox" This is a new mod hack. They modify a gun to shoot out a dummy,causing your xbox to freeze, making you to reboot the xbox. I imagine they have this aside so if they get hacked also and are losing they turn to that option for an easy win. Makes it look like if you laged out or quit out.

#11 Jer4251

Jer4251

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:360's F-Bodys

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

well thats nice to know, i always get split up with my party when playing on live, he says i quit and i say he quit, well i guess we know why, people are getting smarter and modding without being noticed. I was banned from live the other day, had no idea why and then i read that changing your hdd will get you banned, go figure, i changed my hdd the day before. so watch out, their banning like crazy, i dont see why you should be banned for replacing your hdd.

I've been on some forums and seen people sig at the bottom of their post and it tells you what your ip address is and stuff, i thought it was fake the first time i saw it and then noticed it was my ip address.

the more MS tries to fix the cheating, it seems it just keeps getting worse.

#12 00g

00g

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(bAd poisoN @ Jul 10 2005, 02:09 AM)
"Freezing The Xbox" This is a new mod hack. They modify a gun to shoot out a dummy,causing your xbox to freeze, making you to reboot the xbox. I imagine they have this aside so if they get hacked also and are losing they turn to that option for an easy win. Makes it look like if you laged out or quit out.

View Post

I've played games on XBC where I had a plasma pistol that show out dummies, and the non-modded people I was playing with could do the same. It didn't freeze their XBOX's.

(And no, I wasn't a lame ass cheater. We were checking out all the modded maps. The one in question was "Icewind" for Coagulation.

#13 gundamhr

gundamhr

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

ethereal is a good network sniffer, and you can sniff TCP and UDP. the funny thing is, the teams that do this stuff don't need to know ur IP, they have their own, and they probably get their teammates' IPs so that there is no confusion. then...game starts, host starts to sniff, and then gets your IP, then bam, run a quick DDoS on that IP and Xbox Live will most definately lag out. Its that easy, nothing hard. i haven't tried this before because quite frankly, i don't have time, not to mention, i don't need to.

#14 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

yea, i dont need to either.. but it would be a nice way of blocking people who constantly re-join your room just to annoy you... i just cant get ethereal to find my xbox.. it only finds my local pc traffic... not that big of a deal tho.

#15 adamscybot

adamscybot

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:44 AM

Wow. M$ should really fix this. I imagine a lot of the people using this freeze trick are now banned after the new AU (theres probably 100+ ways round it though tongue.gif ).

However, those who are left are getting more and more knowledgeable.

MS need to somehow protect the Xbox from these attacks. Cheating isnt really getting better - as far as I can see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users