Smb Shares In Xbmp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 judasg0at

judasg0at

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Judasg0at likes:<br>Hot rods<br>Hot broads<br>Money<br>Computers<br>Programming<br>Electronics<br>College

Posted 03 April 2003 - 03:05 AM

It would be really great if some one setup a tutorial on exactly how to set up XBMP(2.3) to connect to a SMB share, the help file and all topics discussing it are cryptic to say the least, I was hoping someone could tell me what to put where in the config.xml file, I'm only having troubles with this one part, so here we go:

<url>smb://username:password@WorkgroupName/ComputerName/PartitionName</url>

Im wrong on how this is setup, but where? I have a "read only" share on Win98, and no password,
1.)What do I put for password. Should I just leave it blank?
2.)Whos username do I put in, the "xbox" or the name of the computer? (I use shared level access)
3.)Am I setting up the rest of the information correctly, partition, workgroup, computer?

Hell if someone can answer me, I'll write the tutorial myself ( that would be great!) But all of the forums, and the XBMP help file don't go into particulars on this topic, so any help would be greatly appreciated! blink.gif

#2 openwindow

openwindow

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:05 AM

on a 98 box, you should only need:

<url>smb://ComputerName/ShareName</url>

That SHOULD work, but sometimes the SMB shares seem a little flakey still...

#3 judasg0at

judasg0at

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Judasg0at likes:<br>Hot rods<br>Hot broads<br>Money<br>Computers<br>Programming<br>Electronics<br>College

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:25 AM

your quote is from ozzy osbourn in case your wondering, and Thanks, im kinna slow today I got it figured out biggrin.gif

#4 judasg0at

judasg0at

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 08:03 PM

Openwindow I'm sure your advise works perfectly, I figured I would post exactly what worked for me, and I'll try what you posted, and see if it works better. I still have a little trouble connecting the first time, but after that its all gravy.

<url>smb://username:password@WorkgroupName/ComputerName/PartitionName</url>

I'll go through this step by step so theres no confusion:
Username: I used the name of my xbox, (theres a tutorial on this if you dont already know it)
Password: I have no password, read only share on Win98, so I left it blank
WorkgroupName: I endered the workgroup name of the computer I was connecting to
ComputerName: Name of computer connecting to, in Win98 you can use winipcfg.exe to find the name of your computer
Partition name: Name of partition/Share on the computer you want access to

Its pretty strait forward from there, just make sure you have setup a share to connect to, or you may be scratching your head for a while. Also as Openwindow said, alot of the information for Win98 may not be required to connect. For myself the finished string looked like this:

<url>smb://ninja:@Workgroup/f8n3g5/d</url>

My computer's name is wierd f8n3g5, and I'm sharing D drive, its share name is also D. This is not always the case though, Share names can be different from the drive names they represent.
I hope this is usefull to someone. cool.gif

#5 openwindow

openwindow

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 04 April 2003 - 04:28 AM

Good info judas. Hopefully this'll help someone.

And yeah, Ozzy is the shit. I mean, Ozzy pre-"The Osbournes". Although that's entertaining too. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users