5 replies to this topic

#1 piracyrocks

piracyrocks

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

ok. i just got a new laptop two days ago and wanted to transfer some files from my family's desktop to it. i have already clicked "share this folder on the network" on all the folders i want to get stuff from on the desktop. My thoughts were that once you did this they would automatically show up in "My Network Places" on my laptop after connecting to the router. Well, i was right for a little bit. but then after trying to connect to my xbox to ftp it (which i did unsuccessfully, and if anyone knows about help with that here too im all ears) the icons in my network places requested a password to connect to the desktop pc. the problem is that the desktop pc doesnt have a password...so i just entered the user name (there is only one) and clicked ok. it just reset the window and did nothing. so i thought maybe if i deleted the shortcuts and rebooted my laptop that they woudl refresh themselves again and be normal (not having a password). But i was wrong and now i cant get on to the files on my desktop computer. i tried typing in the address to the folders manually in IE "\\computersname\foldername" but it just prompted me for a user and password again. So how do i regain access to my desktop pc from my laptop?

p.s. i am now, and was when i successfully connected, running wirelessly and not hardwired in to my router.

also i'd like to add that my desktop pc is not able to see shared folders of my laptop either.

my hopes are to be able to ftp my box and other computers on the network when all is said and done...any help for me?

#2 piracyrocks

piracyrocks

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:42 PM

any help?

#3 Kryxan

Kryxan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:39 PM

its asking for a username and password because one is required. either to access that one share, or all of them. if the share is in documents and settings then you have to either set permissions for other users or use that users l/p. check the permissions and you will see who is allowed to access it. if its not everyone then you need a username and password

#4 piracyrocks

piracyrocks

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

i wasnt aware u could set permissions on windows xp home....can you?

#5 ndsbass

ndsbass

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

u dont have a firewall do you? i had a similar problem. make sure that that the laptops ip address is allowed on your firewall or else the firewall prevents a connection. If you could access the files from your laptop then this problably doesnt count but basically my desktop was able to send out info to my new computer because my new computer didnt have a firewall. when i opened network places on my new computer i could see the places since the old computer had sent that info to my computer. but trying to access the files/folders/network places required my new computer to connect to my old, which my firewall wouldnt allow. all i had to do was allow my new computers ip address. im not very good with computers i dunno if this is the problem

Just a side note ull problably get a little bit more info if u post this in a computer forum and not an xbox forum biggrin.gif

#6 piracyrocks

piracyrocks

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:02 AM

i thought i would but i tried one forum already that seemed to be an EVERYTHING KNOWN TO MAN about computers forum and no one really goes there much to answer stuff...more to just post questions...

ill try that stuff and see if it helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users