• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Ok, recently my XBOX has been starting to give me problems- it won't power on unless I apply pressure to the power cord. It turns on ok as long as I'm pushing the cord in towards the xbox, but once I let go, it loses power. Any idea to what the problem is? Could I alleviate this problem by switching out the power supply, or would it take more than that? Any help would be appreciated.

*also, if it can be fixed by simply switching out the power supply, could anyone give me some direction of how to do that? I have some slight computer repair skills, but I'd just like to be sure. Thanks!*

#2 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:32 PM

It sounds like you have a bad power supply.... it could be from the solder coming off inside, UNPLUG IT NOW, open your xbox and look where the cord plugs into the power supply. See if it looks all black and if there is solder there. If it is just fine, maybe take it out and look at the bottom..... last thing to do would be to get a different power cord if thats not the prollem.

#3 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

So do you think I should buy a new power supply regardless? If so, could you direct me to a site that has step-by-step instructions to do so?

Also I know its not the power cord, I've tried 3 different cords and they all do the same thing.

Edited by Jimbogiant, 09 July 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#4 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

First thing is to open the box and look at the point i mentioned. See if there is black around it or solder missing from the prongs, its really easy to see, its just right inside the xbox where you plug in the power. If it doesnt look so good, then all you have to do is throw some solder in there to make a secure connection and its fixed.

#5 ndsbass

ndsbass

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

you can buy power supplys at www.llama.com

#6 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

Well I don't own a soldering iron, so it would probably be cheaper for me to just buy a new one? What I really need is a tutorial of how to change the power supply.

#7 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:56 PM

You actually dont really need one, im sure if you do a search you can find one, but just follow the tutorial for taking your xbox apart, and then the power supply is just held in with 2 screws and thats it, you can see it.

#8 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

ok, thanks alot for your help!

#9 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:22 PM

http://pg.photos.yah...c36.jpg&.src=ph

yo deak, just popped the power supply out and found this-

is this repairable?

#10 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

Yup thats what i was talking about... its a common issue. Just clean it up best you can and if you got a soldering iron and some solder, you can just throw some on there and make sure it connects to where its supposed to... you should be able to see that. And then its good to go. smile.gif

THIS is why MS pretended it was the cord and sent out new cords to cover their butts from this catching fire in houses!!! And i heard foxlink is doing stuff for the 360!!!!!

#11 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

so theres no chance of a power spike or anything if i just add solder? why would it blow in the 1st place? sorry J/W

#12 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

Just keep it all unplugged obviously and you will be just fine, solder it really good. The people that made it "foxlink" did not make it very well and when you plug in and unplug time and time again, it loosens it and for some reason seems to melt the solder..... they did a very bad job at making them.

#13 IAmCanadian

IAmCanadian

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

so theres no chance of a power spike or anything if i just add solder? why would it blow in the 1st place? sorry J/W

It would blow in the first place because foxlink decided that solder is good enough, which it isn't, as solder is NOT ment for mechanical connections. I am willing to bet, if you cleaned it up, got a ratshack soldering iron.. HELL, heat up a coat hanger and use some solder, it's cheaper then a new PSU.. But don't do the coat hanger thing unless it's last resort wink.gif

Good luck!

#14 Jimbogiant

Jimbogiant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:46 PM

alright, just got a friend to solder it for me- works great! thanks so much for your help guys, cost me a total of $1.67 for electrical solder :-)

thanks again!

#15 IAmCanadian

IAmCanadian

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:53 PM

yay smile.gif

soldering irons prove to be an inexpencive usefull tool wink.gif

so far I've fixed a car alarm remote, tv remote, and some other stuff

Edited by IAmCanadian, 09 July 2005 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users