#1 Nokturn

Nokturn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Hi Guys,

I hope that some of you can help me, let me explain the situation first:

A while ago one of my friends wanted a modchip in his xbox. It was a 1.6 and as I cannot solder we decided to put in a Spiderchip, as it seemed to be the cheapest solution.
Ok, we bought that one and I have put it in. As you know the Spiderchip has those legs which have to go into those small holes on the xbox mainboard. I have put them in and the chip was working, everything was fine. Now those legs were a bit loose, so my friend decided to use glue to make those legs stay in their holes. I told him that I do not like that idea, but it seemed ok and the chip was still working.
But the chip was not very stable, every few days the xbox was fragging, we had to open it and to bend those legs a bit to make it work again. We have done that for a while, but of course thats not a very good solution. Now we decided to get a better chip, maybe a SmartXX with solderless adapter, so I took the xbox apart and removed the Spiderchip.

My HUGE problem now is the glue on the mainboard which makes it impossible for me to put a solderless adapter onto the mainboard again.

Do you guys have any idea what I could do? Any idea how I could remove the glue without damaging the board? It's a bad situation right now, as I would like to avoid buying a new board.

Thanks a lot.

(I'm not sure if I have put this thread into the correct category, sorry)

#2 woofis

woofis

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

well first and formost the spider chip just straight up sux.. second. wat u can do is take a haird dryer and heat up the hot glue. makeing it easy to take off. make sure u do it very easy and gentle so u dont mess up ur traces

#3 jay7199

jay7199

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:iPods xboxs modding any thing and my beautiful girl friend

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

i used tap for a bit but i got my solder and just solder it but glue lol sry what kind of glue that would help us out to know

#4 Nokturn

Nokturn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:13 PM

hi, thanks for the replies. i guess i'll try it with a hair dryer tomorrow, that might work. The glue that was used is superglue, so something that dries very fast and is quite strong...

#5 mbratton

mbratton

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:45 PM

_NEVER_ use superglue on a mobo (to anyone who reads this), it's corrosive.

as for removing it, I'd just sell it on ebay and buy a new mobo.

#6 raider898989

raider898989

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

allways use solder to put the wires to the board

#7 Jargond

Jargond

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

you could have at least used hot glue, would hot glue work? i'd think that would be an even better solution than solderless adapter....i mean i know glue isnt conductiv but you could just make sure that metal is touching metal then glue it in place right?

#8 raider898989

raider898989

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

just use solder glue is so not a good way to put modchips together glue can melt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users