Feel free to adjust if I missed something.
FAQ: upgrading the HDD using Krayzie’s Softmod.
Note : This isn’t the only way to upgrade your hdd. It’s just one method, which should be easy to understand.. Reason this FAQ was made because the ‘how to’ question is asked (and answered) almost daily.
Things needed :
• Krayzie’s autoinstaller v. 2.8
• Exploitable game : Mechassault, Splinter Cell or James Bond 007 AUF
• A lockable HDD (check here : http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/ )
• Torx screwdrivers 10/15/20 (can be done with regular screwdrivers when careful)
• A PC
• A Floppy Disk
• Ability to FTP from PC to Xbox (tutorial : http://www.chefelf.c.../networking.php )
STANDARD HDD ALREADY MODDED:
1) Boot your xbox and connect through FTP
2) Copy everything from C: , E:\Tdata and E:\Udata to your PC. Also copy the file eeprom.bin to your PC. (backup was made during install)
3) Put everything you just copied in the appropriate folders in xboxhdm. For a tutorial see : http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043
4) Create the iso. (doubleclick make-iso-win.bat , See tutorial above.)
5) Burn the .iso (in Nero : choose ‘burn as image’ from the recorder menu.)
6) Hook up your new hdd to PC, Same tutorial once again.
7) Choose : build from scratch from the xboxhd menu, follow all directions, still the same tutorial.
8) Choose 6 : generate hdd key.
9) Choose 7 : make floppy
10) Reboot (remove CD, boot from floppy)
11) Type : lockhd –a
12) Type : unlockx to check if the hdd is actually locked
13) Put the new hdd in your xbox and boot
14) Delete the old exploited savegame (using the MS dash, as it contains the uninstall info from the initial install on the standard hdd)
15) Copy the ‘virgin’ savegame to the hdd from memory card (using MS dash)
16) Mod your xbox like you did on the original hdd.
NOTE : Alternatively you can manually delete the savegame after copying E:\Udata to your PC. It’s located in E:\Udata\xxxxxxxx . (the x’s represent the unique number for the exploitable game you used.) Manually replace it with a ‘virgin’ gamesave.
STANDARD HDD NOT MODDED YET:
1) Copy the installer (savegame) to the standard hdd (use the MS Dash)
2) Boot your xbox with the exploitable game
3) Load the exploited savegame. You now have ftp access and the option to backup your eeprom.
4) Backup your eeprom, pay attention to where it’s stored, it’s all on screen.
5) Do NOT install the softmod. (this way you keep a virgin backup hdd)
6) Copy everything from C: , E:\Tdata and E:\Udata to your PC. Also copy the file eeprom.bin to your PC.
7) Put everything you just copied in the appropriate folders in xboxhdm. For a tutorial see : http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043
8) Create the iso. (doubleclick make-iso-win.bat , See tutorial above.) Next, burn the iso. (In Nero choose : ‘burn as image’ from the ‘recorder’ menu.)
9) Hook up your new hdd to PC, Same tutorial once again.
10) Choose : build from scratch from the xboxhd menu, follow all directions, still the same tutorial.
11) Choose 6 : generate hdd key.
12) Choose 7 : make floppy
13) Reboot (remove CD, boot from floppy)
14) Type : lockhd –a
15) Type : unlockx to check if the hdd is actually locked
16) Put the new hdd in your xbox and boot
17) Boot your xbox with the exploitable game
18) Load the exploited savegame and start the installer, follow the onscreen instructions.
• If your hdd doesn’t lock, there can be many reasons, just use ‘search’ for many possible solutions, here are a few :
- Some motherboards don’t ‘like’ locking, intel chipset based mobo’s seem to have this problem.
- Same goes for certain Compaq computers.
- You didn’t put the hdd as Primary Master.
- Try attaching the hdd to the IDE cable after your PC has booted. All tools have their own hdd detection.
Note : locking can be done without the floppy. As this guide is intended for new users, please do use it anyway, just to avoid problems.
And of course :
A big thanks to :
- Krayzie, for his amazing installer.
- Kingroach for his awesome tut on xboxhdm. I know it’s all there anyway …
- Idots from making xboxhdm in the first place (are you still there?)
- All other regulars spending time developing, answering questions etc. This list could be a page long I guess. You were not intentionally left out. Cheers guys!
Edited by krayzie, 16 July 2005 - 09:44 AM.