• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

History:
July 16th, 2005 - Initial tutorial (v1.0)

Tutorial: Converting homebrew EBOOT.PBP between 1.0 and 1.5 (KXploit) formats
by atomiX of Xbox-Scene.com

This tutorial will be useful for converting a PSP EBOOT.PBP file between versions since most homebrew apps being released are either in raw 1.0 form or in 1.5 KXploit form. This will allow you to convert between formats depending on your PSP firmware build. There are many apps that will convert from 1.0 to 1.5 but I feel its somewhat important to know how it works.

NOTE on firmware: Currently, homebrew apps on the PSP can only be run on v1.0 and v1.5 firmware. A way to run homebrew on v1.51 and v1.52 has yet to be found.

Things you will need:
- A PSP to run your app (duh)
- USB-PSP cable to transfer files (double-duh)
- PBP Unpacker (found here: http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/)

Converting from 1.0 (single EBOOT.PBP) to 1.5 (KXploit)

For this example, I will be using RIN 1.26s EBOOT.PBP file. For the present, we only have the single EBOOT.PBP executable that should work only on a PSP with 1.0 firmware. Our goal is to convert it manually to run on a 1.5 PSP.

- Extract the RIN EBOOT.PBP to a directory of your choice. In my case, its Z:\tutorial\.

- Open the EBOOT.PBP with PBP Unpacker. You should have something like this:

user posted image

- Its now time to extract the contents of your PBP. Highlight all the files and select extract from the right-click menu. Extract them to the directory of your choice. I extracted them in the same directory as the 1.0 EBOOT.

user posted image

- Now that you have extracted everything, its time to do the magic part. You need to create the 2 different EBOOT files that are used by the KXploit process. The thing you need to know is that the 1st (and smallest) EBOOT.PBP includes the boot parameters (PARAM.SFO), icon (ICON0.PNG), the background image if included (PIC1.PNG) as well as other optional content like sounds or animations. The 2nd (usually the largest) EBOOT.PBP is the main executable (DATA.PSP) simply renamed to EBOOT.PBP.

- Create your main KXploit EBOOT.PBP by moving the extracted DATA.PSP to your PSP in a folder of your choice located in the \PSP\GAME\ directory. In this case for the RIN emulator, the directory is \PSP\GAME\RIN\DATA.PSP. Rename DATA.PSP to EBOOT.PBP.

user posted image

- The rest of the extracted files Are going to go in the smaller EBOOT. Open up PBP Unpacker and select new. Load up the appropriate PARAM.SFO, ICON0.PNG and any other file that may be present except for DATA.PSP since its already present as our previously-created EBOOT.PBP. If you decide to include it anyway, it shouldn't cause a problem except you'll lose a small ammount of space since it will make the file bigger.

user posted image

- You can now select the SAVE button. It must be saved in the same directory as the previous EBOOT.PBP except that you must add a % to the apps folder name for it to be compatible with the exploit. For example, I saved the renamed DATA.PSP in \PSP\GAME\RIN\, this new EBOOT.PBP must be saved in \PSP\GAME\RIN%\.

user posted image

- You should now upload any support files (like WAD files in DOOM) to the folder that does not contain the % symbol.

- You app is now ready to be loaded via the Game section on the PSPs main menu.

Converting from 1.5 (KXploit) to 1.0 (single EBOOT.PBP)

This is basically the same thing as the previous process but backwards. I wont go into detail but here are the steps that need to be taken:

- Take the EBOOT.PBP found in the folder without the % (for example: \PSP\GAME\RIN\EBOOT.PBP) and rename it to DATA.PSP.

- Extract the contents of the other EBOOT.PBP found in the folder with the % (for example: \PSP\GAME\RIN%\EBOOT.PBP) to a folder of your choice using PBP Unpacker.

- Using PBP Unpacker again, create a new PBP file with the files that were extracted in the previous step as well as the recently renamed DATA.PSP. Save it where you wish.

user posted image

- You now have a converted EBOOT.PBP that will work in a 1.0 PSP.

You can post here or PM me for any comments or corrections you have on this.

#2 itsmee129

itsmee129

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:i like xbox and chicks :-)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

Very good Tutorial beerchug.gif

#3 nagmine

nagmine

burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

nice job beerchug.gif

#4 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:XBOX360, PC Mods, Titties<br /><br />MuDvAyNe
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

Nice tutorial. There are actually programs out now that will do what you did in just a few clicks.

SiePSPTool is one and another is PSP Brew. They pretty much have one button EBOOT configuring. Just figured I would let you know there is a much easier way of doing this.
beerchug.gif

#5 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(shank69xo @ Jul 16 2005, 07:07 PM)
Nice tutorial. There are actually programs out now that will do what you did in just a few clicks.

SiePSPTool is one and another is PSP Brew. They pretty much have one button EBOOT configuring. Just figured I would let you know there is a much easier way of doing this.
beerchug.gif

View Post

There are many apps that will convert from 1.0 to 1.5 but I feel its somewhat important to know how it works.

smile.gif

#6 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:XBOX360, PC Mods, Titties<br /><br />MuDvAyNe
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:38 PM

Totally understand you there. And I understand how it works and make my own EBOOTs too. I was just lettting everyone else know alternatives to that somewhat outdated method. Cheers

#7 st3ph3nt4n

st3ph3nt4n

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

wow..your windows is really red wink.gif and good job on the tut

#8 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

We can pin this for awhile, and later, make a single pinned topic to link to all the guides and tut you and others make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users