Photo

Complete VGA Mod Guide (Diagrams, Hex Edits)

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, BT, dvdshrink, messing with electronics, Half.com selling.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

1. I use the ind bios 06 since my Hard drive is 120gigs. Sorry, but I can't help you with not picking up the G partition.

2. I also have a 1.0 with Xenium ice and i use the Ind bios 5001 vga patched 06.

3. Any capacitors should work, but i'm not perfectly sure about that. I picked some standard ones up from Radioshack. the cheap ones should be fine, but more expensive ones just allow for higher voltages (which should not occur anyway).

4. I don't know why your games would be green and your dash fine. Unless your games are on the non-working list, there should be no problem. for example Halo 1 and Halo 2 work great for me.

5. For any display problems, it might be good to unplug the monitor cable and replug it in after the game / dash has loaded. this way the monitor is recieving a steady signal that doesn't change around. some monitors are pretty picky.

Note: I'm only someone who sifted through many tutorials I felt were vague and unclear. I only have one setup, a US xbox 1.0 with a Xenium Ice and I can only test so many monitors. I wrote the guide to give people another perspective with what i think are clearer images. I'm sorry if I can't solve your problems, I hope you guys understand and good luck.

#62 notonxbox

notonxbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

Been trying to find an answer on something......

I'm assured I'm getting the best pic I can with my setup. hd pack with the components to a component - vga cable. high res options enabled using enigma. I can see an improvement when I use a 720p game.

So my question is - why make the vga mod? Is the mod cheaper? Or does it give you something that my setup won't? Will something like x2vga give me anything i don't have now?

#63 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:37 PM

you have SoG (sync on green).... YAY. so no, you can use your setup fine, no difference. I dont have any monitors with SoG, so i need to incorperate a sync splitter circuit. Only benefit to x2vga is that you can play some games like Jade Empire without the green tint.

#64 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(leeloo5 @ Aug 8 2006, 10:44 AM) View Post

you have SoG (sync on green).... YAY. so no, you can use your setup fine, no difference. I dont have any monitors with SoG, so i need to incorperate a sync splitter circuit. Only benefit to x2vga is that you can play some games like Jade Empire without the green tint.

I wouldn't say that's the only benefit. I think there are a couple other major benefits of the X2VGA. First, it doesn't need a hacked BIOS so that means you can still play on Live / unmodded just fine. I think another advantage it has is the great 720p, 1080i support. Many (not all) monitors will give a purple tint with homemade cables and a VGA BIOS.

Edited by Textbook, 08 August 2006 - 04:28 PM.

#65 jippie

jippie

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

I'm going to feel stupid but anyway.....

Can someone tell me how to make a SOG cable without the LM1881 chip??
I really did look though this guide but saw nothing on just a cable!!!

EDIT...

found what I needed here
http://www.360mods.n...cle/sid=32.html

sorry again.

jippie

Edited by jippie, 28 August 2006 - 05:28 PM.

#66 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on 'My monitor supports sync on green', and follow the prompts.

#67 drukenslob

drukenslob

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hey,

Im trying todo the vga mod but I find the information scattered and sometimes un-useful

I did this diagram:
IPB Image

Along with this tutorial
http://www.360mods.n...cle/sid=37.html

It should make the mod easier and less of a pain.

Please feel free to use, distribute in your tutorials, post etc

Feel free to comment on the above, thanks.

#68 rogerlike

rogerlike

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:50 PM

I'm not sure where this info belongs so I'm sorry if it's OT... The new Splinter Cell: Double Agent resets the GPU properly so unlike previous Splinter Cell games (1 2 and 3 all have the green problem) the colours are all fine with the VGA bios and cable hack. Good news for stealth co-op fans who run system link off a couple of xboxes... smile.gif

Edited by rogerlike, 31 October 2006 - 07:00 PM.

#69 rogerlike

rogerlike

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

I'm sorry, I was wrong about that... :/

#70 circusmonki

circusmonki

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:00 AM

thanks leeloo this cable works perfect. with the help of FrostyTheSnowman i was able to get the NKPatcher10-vga10 working (for softmods).

So my question is - why make the vga mod? Is the mod cheaper? Or does it give you something that my setup won't? Will something like x2vga give me anything i don't have now?

My complete cable with the sync splitter cost around AU$13. The annoying thing is the LM1881N cost me AU$12 sad.gif. But some people rekon you can get the LM1881N for about $3 so that I think would make it a hell of a lot cheaper then your setup.

Also I would recommend the NKPatcher vga method even for people with chips. have your xbox activate the softmod when you switch the chip off i think tongue.gif

I wanna thank leeloo5 and especially FrostyTheSnowman for this perfect picture tongue.gif

IPB Image

XBMC in 720p on a 19" Polyview V396 lcd monitor. Just beautiful tongue.gif

#71 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

VGA on the XBOX is just gorgeous, isn't it?

Now you know why i'm such a big supporter of VGA on the XBOX. biggrin.gif

Nice picture by the way. happy.gif

#72 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(drukenslob @ Oct 26 2006, 03:37 PM) View Post

Hey,

Im trying todo the vga mod but I find the information scattered and sometimes un-useful
I did this diagram:

Your VGA plug only has 14 pins wink.gif. anyways, I like my diagram since it visually draws each pin to each pin. color coded too, anyways as long as you get it working its all good.

QUOTE(circusmonki @ Nov 24 2006, 10:07 PM) View Post

thanks leeloo this cable works perfect. with the help of FrostyTheSnowman i was able to get the NKPatcher10-vga10 working (for softmods).
My complete cable with the sync splitter cost around AU$13. The annoying thing is the LM1881N cost me AU$12 sad.gif. But some people rekon you can get the LM1881N for about $3 so that I think would make it a hell of a lot cheaper then your setup.

Also I would recommend the NKPatcher vga method even for people with chips. have your xbox activate the softmod when you switch the chip off i think tongue.gif

I wanna thank leeloo5 and especially FrostyTheSnowman for this perfect picture tongue.gif

XBMC in 720p on a 19" Polyview V396 lcd monitor. Just beautiful tongue.gif

1. Happy it works
2. Prices all pretty much depend on ebay at the time for me, since that's where I got the parts, for me it was about $20 total.
3. My modchip does not like softmoding plus I like being able to use the dashboard. I know I can use UIX (which I setup for my friends softmods), but I like the MS dash for 480p enabling and just to have it.
4. exams are often crappy.

edit: images removed

Edited by leeloo5, 05 December 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#73 losman

losman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

I made my system thanks to everyone here. Here is a picture of my VGA cable:

IPB Image

Unfortunately for me - I am selling my system:
System on eBay

#74 joesnose

joesnose

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:36 AM

ok ive read the tread but didnt see an answer, if i use a vga bios can i still use my xbox on my telivision or is the bios purely vga?

#75 quickline

quickline

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the great tutorial.

I just have one question - I built the cable with all of the components (lm1881, capacitors, resistors) and it works fine on my 19" LCD, but I get a green tint on my 19" CRT - what does this mean?

Which supports SOG, which doesn't?

What can I do to fix it?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users