LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

This isn't Xbox360 related, but I thought it was worthwhile to mention because of Toshiba's talks about HD-DVD. Mods, please move this to the appropriate place.

HVD?

Optware, the company working to develop terabyte-class holographic discs, has received an influx of capital from Toshiba, which should give it a boost as it gears up to get its first generation of next generation discs (which will have a mere 100-200GB of capacity) to market. Of course, we’re sure this means that Sony is inevitably going to invest in Optware competitor InPhase, guaranteeing that the format wars for next-next-gen storage and media platforms will continue just about forever. Makes sense, if you think about it.

My concern is that if Toshiba is already starting to invest in a technology that is potentially only 3 or 4 years away, how much faith are they putting into HD-DVD? How long does it take for a media storage solution to manifest? I can understand why they are helping research it... it'll be one of the first non-disc based mediums widely available (no Sony royalties) in a decade. I'm excited that something new is on the horizon, but this generation isn't even here... and we already have images of what's next. Thoughts?

Edited by LowProfileWurm, 19 July 2005 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Twasi

Twasi

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:57 AM

People will need a HD-DVD or Blu-ray regardless of whats coming out in 3-4 years. People need a medium to store HDTV and HD movies. Along with that, archievers need a high storage disk, same with all video editors out there. There will be a need for it but if HVD pands out it will obviously overtake the two.

#3 mikeandbandit

mikeandbandit

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:59 AM

neither hd-dvd nor blu ray are TRUE next gen discs but something that we have in the interum. The difference is HD dvd is actually a COST EFFECETIVE solution tp a standard that will be replaced in 5 years anyway

#4 nj12nets

nj12nets

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:41 AM

actually the first HVD drives are scheduled to be available next year. imagine 0 seek times cause ntohings spinning or 1tb on a sinlge disk love.gif

#5 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:51 AM

I guess my real question is... will it be possible to store movies/games on HVD? Or will this simply be for extremely high volume data (nuclear research data, etc.)? If they aren't planning on making this a commercial medium, then I'm not worried. But if they plan on replacing DVD's in all forms, blue laser or red, then I don't want to have to buy movies AGAIN. I'd just as soon wait for HVD. I'm not concerned about games being on it because they are console specific, but movies & music & PC data... I'll wait.

#6 pimpdaddypain

pimpdaddypain

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:55 AM

i like the 1tb on a disk and the 0 seek time that could be pretty sick

#7 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:56 AM

You could back several of your DVDs on each card, and fit your whole collection in your pocket. That's sick shit.

#8 M-K-E!

M-K-E!

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

it'l be a sad day when i buy a writable disc with more storage space then my hdd...(60 gig on my laptop...)

#9 hb2k

hb2k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(nj12nets @ Jul 19 2005, 07:52 PM)
actually the first HVD drives are scheduled to be available next year. imagine 0 seek times cause ntohings spinning or 1tb on a sinlge disk love.gif

View Post

wow 1gb is alot of pr0n

#10 nj12nets

nj12nets

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:33 AM

theyre going to probably be for mass-use. like right now it will probably be OD expensive but so were cd burners and the first dvd burner i bought was $400 when it first came out. but this will probably replace almost everything, now the main question is w hat happens to the hdd.

#11 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE(nj12nets @ Jul 20 2005, 08:44 PM)
theyre going to probably be for mass-use. like right now it will probably be OD expensive but so were cd burners and the first dvd burner i bought was $400 when it first came out. but this will probably replace almost everything, now the main question is w hat happens to the hdd.

View Post

I'd say it will stay for a while, because of it's ability to acess random data, and write quickly. An excellent caching device.

#12 nj12nets

nj12nets

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

o i know, and if the HVD is treated as a disk even though it will be incredibly fast you cant write whatever and whenever you want without finalizing. but i think solid state drives like HVD will replace HD's all together in I'd say MAYBE 6-10 years, but who knows what will happen then.

#13 Twasi

Twasi

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:37 AM

HD-DVD and Blu-ray will be next gen, don't count on seeing HVD used in mass for another good 10 years, in 2006 they are releasing the first commercial disks of only 100-200 gigs, the 1TB disk is a theory, they don't know if it's actually possible or not but when they put 1 face per micron of writing surface they should in theory be able to make one, but they aren't anywhere close. 2008 you will probably see them leak into the public but for now they are strictly for archievers and video editing companies. The thing is, the data is so compact a spec of dust lands on it and it will destroy part of it, if you get a scratch of any kind kiss all of it good bye, pretty sad for that to happen if it takes you a month to write all that data onto it... Anyways the drives will need to be so precise they will be thousands of dollars and a burner hell I could see it possibly being upwards of $50,000. You won't see these things as an option for the everyday person until 2015.

Edited by Twasi, 21 July 2005 - 07:38 AM.

#14 mynuffinfutsitch

mynuffinfutsitch

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:21 AM

i bet in the future that nintendo uses this on a future gen console
wink.gif

#15 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(mynuffinfutsitch @ Jul 22 2005, 12:32 AM)
i bet in the future that nintendo uses this on a future gen console
wink.gif

View Post

uhh.gif how do you figure... they're the least receptive to media changes... they never even had a CD based console laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users