• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mhigz

Mhigz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

Hi, I have an unmodded xbox with a dead hard drive and I recently bought a stock seagate xbox hard drive online. After reading the tuts, I am pretty sure the hard drive i bought is not going to work.

If I install a modchip and install the default xbox dashboard, and then remove the modchip, would my xbox bootup normally?

thank you.

#2 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:44 PM

Yes, it will work as long as the hard drive you bought is unlocked. You will need to lock the hard drive, you can do this using Slayers. If you want the xbox to function as a modded xbox you could install a softmod while you are at it.

#3 Mhigz

Mhigz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(BigSteel @ Jul 20 2005, 07:55 PM)
Yes, it will work as long as the hard drive you bought is unlocked.  You will need to lock the hard drive, you can do this using Slayers.  If you want the xbox to function as a modded xbox you could install a softmod while you are at it.

View Post

thank you for such quick reply, i want my xbox to funcion normally or unmodded. in case the hard drive i bought is locked, i would have to install the chip, connect my new hard drive, unlock using configmagic, remove unleash and other apps, install default dashboard, lock hard drive, remove chip.

correct?

Thanks, BigSteel.

Edited by Mhigz, 20 July 2005 - 07:20 PM.

#4 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:27 PM

If the hard drive is locked then you just bought a wonderful paper weight. You cannot unlock the hard drive unless you have the eeprom from the xbox that it was locked to (even with a chip).

Edited by BigSteel, 20 July 2005 - 07:27 PM.

#5 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

If the hard drive you bought is locked, then you bought a paperweight, unless it was sent with the eeprom data or it was locked with configmagic or a similar prog.

#6 Mhigz

Mhigz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

the person who sold me his hard drive said that all original files and saves are still intact. he didn't format it or anything but i'm guessing the drive may be locked?

#7 Mhigz

Mhigz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

i read more tuts for newbies. lolz.

i have a paper weight! yey!

now, i know... and knowing is half the battle!

live and learn!.... off to Best Buy i go! hehe

thanks for all replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users