Funky_K

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

My modded XBOX is distributed through my whole house through a Crestron automation system.
I don't have a problem using the IR DVD remote from all locations (with IR repeaters), but I have not come up with a solution for using wireless controllers at every location.
I have several Logitech wireless controllers, but their range seems to only be about 20 feet through walls. If I had an extension (up to 30 ft would be good), I could pull it through walls to desired locations and plug the RF receivers where I need them... and just keep the controller in those rooms.
The only extensions that I have come across are 6' long. Are there longer ones? Any other solutions? I have seen RF wireless keyboard extensions that can extend over 100' using CAT5 cable and a plugged in receiver at the destination.

Thanks for any input.

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

Well you could make your own extensions using cat 5 or even cat 3 (you only need 4 wires) for your controller ports. Not too sure what the safe length limit would be for a usb extension such as this but assuming you use the twisted pairs of wires and not just any random ones in the cat 5 you should be good for 30+ feet....

#3 TKramka

TKramka

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Computer Technology, Xbox Hardware and Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:34 AM

I think DLink makes something that turns USB into CAT5 and back again, check Tigerdirect.com to see.

#4 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding (of course),<br />Juggling,<br />D&amp;D (3rd edition - so sue me),<br />Working at EB Games

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

Careful, USB stops working reliably after lengths of around 6' - 10'. You might be able to find some USB repeaters, but I don't know if they'll work with the xbox.

#5 Funky_K

Funky_K

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Would this work:

First, get 2 XBOX-PC USB adapter:

http://www.lik-sang....=xbox-usb_cable

Plug one into the XBOX. Then connect an active USB repeater or 2 (up to 80'):

http://www.usbgear.c...Repeater_Cable/

Then connect the second XBOX-PC adapter, and hook the RF receiver up to it.

Thanks

#6 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

yea I think that would work, but you can make those xbox ->usb adaptors fairly simple

#7 Funky_K

Funky_K

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

Is the XBOX a USB 2.0?

Would a USB 1.1 extension work?

This one is USB 1.1, and uses CAT5 cable inbetween... up to 150'

http://www.usbdesigns.com/

Otherwise, I would have to "stack" 16' USB 2.0 extensions.

And does anyone have a link to DIY XBOX-PC USB adapter cable instructions? I would need to make 1 with an XBOX male to USB female, and 1 with a USB male to XBOX female.

Thanks!

#8 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding (of course),<br />Juggling,<br />D&amp;D (3rd edition - so sue me),<br />Working at EB Games

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:45 AM

Xbox is USB 1.1. And check the tut section for the cables... or just open them up and connect the wires, ignoring the yellow wire. USB and xbox controller cables use the same wire colors.

#9 Funky_K

Funky_K

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE(Jameson42 @ Jul 23 2005, 07:56 PM)
Xbox is USB 1.1.  And check the tut section for the cables... or just open them up and connect the wires, ignoring the yellow wire.  USB and xbox controller cables use the same wire colors.

View Post

Great!!

Thanks Jameson42

#10 xzphatboizx69

xzphatboizx69

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE(Jameson42 @ Jul 21 2005, 11:47 PM)
Careful, USB stops working reliably after lengths of around 6' - 10'.  You might be able to find some USB repeaters, but I don't know if they'll work with the xbox.

View Post

Standerd USB can be used at a MAX of 100ft, I may be wrong but I belive it is around 100'. Also, USB doesn't stop working at 6'-10', even the xbox's USB; the M$ controllers have a 9' cable. I have used a 30' USB for a printer, but it should be the same for the xbox.

Edited by xzphatboizx69, 24 July 2005 - 03:12 AM.

#11 Scimmia

Scimmia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(xzphatboizx69 @ Jul 23 2005, 09:22 PM)
Standerd USB can be used at a MAX of 100ft, I may be wrong but I belive it is around 100'. Also, USB doesn't stop working at 6'-10', even the xbox's USB; the M$ controllers have a 9' cable. I have used a 30' USB for a printer, but it should be the same for the xbox.

View Post

Actually, the USB specd max cable length is 5 meters (just over 15 ft.) If you go longer than that, you should have some kind of active device in the middle to repeat the signal. A cable may work longer than that, but it may or may not be reliable.

#12 Funky_K

Funky_K

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:42 PM

This may be the perfect solution if the USB extender will work over my LAN... and be able to transmit through the switch.

I should be able to plug my modified wireless receiver into any LAN outlet in the house and be able to use the XBOX.

I'll let you know how it goes... ordered the extender today.

http://www.usbdesigns.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users