• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 billybobimbob

billybobimbob

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:56 AM

I used to work away from home so bought a second XBOX to leave at the hotel rather than subjecting my XBOX to travelling every week. I no longer work away from hone and would like to turn the second XBOX into a media centre.

The problem I have is that I cannot find a way to turn the XBOX into a media server and have it be able to share its files with Upnp devices e.g. Netgear MP101. I also want to be able to host all my MP3s on it so that they can be read by itunes on my windows XP PC (guess this should be fairly easy using SMB and running the SMB client on the PC). I realise that DRM itunes material will have to be played through itunes or an apple DRM compatible device and can live with that.

I could just create a linux installation on the XBOX and try a linux based media server that supports Upnp; however, from what I understand Upnp has not been made possible on XBMC due to a stumbling block around it not supporting multicast.

I could do the same with a cheap quiet PC and linux, but hell what's the point in taking the easy option

#2 JayDee

JayDee

X-S Legend

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

Gentoox Media Center is more they way for you to go.

XBMC do not have a smb server, and only time will tell if it ever will.

http://gentoox.shall...rticle&artid=83

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users