• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geekout2

geekout2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

I am sorry if this has been answered somewhere else in the forum, but after searching for about 3 hours, I am finally going to post a question.

Let me first say that I am a newb...

I just had my Xbox modded by an installer and everything worked great at his home. He was able to ftp to my xbox without any problem.

The only thing that has changed is that I have moved it to my house and just updated to the new version of Avalaunch v.0.49.3 build 142.

I have Xbox v. 1.6 with Xecuter 2.6 mod chip. I am unsure of the bios I am using, I get a logo that I think says "X2ool" when I boot to the mod chip.
I use Avalaunch as my dashboard.

My problem is that I cannot connect to my xbox from my PC. I have the xbox and my PC both connected to the same router.

I have tried to do so using Qwix, Flashfxp, Bulletproof, IE.

I am sure the Xbox is online and connected to my network. I have an ip address in the bottom left of the dash board that is 192.168.0.100, which is consistent with my network setup. I am able to ping the xbox from my PC. I was also able to update Avalaunch through the dashboard. I can also connect and view skins from Allxboxskins.com

I am sure that that FTP is enabled on the Xbox.

I think the problem is that somehow, the default ftp password has been changed. I am using user: xbox and password: xbox (all lowercase).

I get the following from flashfxp:

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
[R] Connecting to KevXbox -> IP=192.168.0.100 PORT=21
[R] Connected to KevXbox
[R] 220 secondary AVA-FTP Server ready.
[R] USER xbox
[R] 331 Password required
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 550 Illegal login.
[R] Connection failed
[R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1

When trying to use IE, I get: "could not login with username and password specified"

Qwix gives me: "FTP login failure:Illegal login This is usually caused by an invalid login name or password".

How can I reset or change the default password so I can logon to the xbox through ftp?

Is there a way to edit the avalaunch.xml file from the xbox?

I do not have xbtools.

Any help would be appreciated. Again, I am sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere. I did search for about 3 hours without success.

#2 geekout2

geekout2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

Well,

After hours of trial, error, frustration, and pulling of hair, I seem to have fixed the problem.

What I had to do was get a copy of avalaunch.xml from the web.

Edit this line <user name="Default" password=""> using notepad. (on my PC)

Replace "Default" with a word of my choice, and put another word of my choice in between the "" for a password. Save the file as avalaunch.xml (on my PC)

Burn the new edited file avalaunch.xml onto a CD-RW.

Boot the xbox to Avalaunch

Load said CD-RW into the xbox and use file manager to copy from the D drive to C drive thus overwriting the copy of avalaunch.xml that was already there.

Now when I use Flashfxp or Qwix and put in the new username and password that I assigned, everything works great.

I still don't know why xbox/xbox would not work as the default user/password. If anyone knows or has a theory, the cat in my would love to hear what you have to say on the subject.

If anyone else is having the same problem as me and do not understand what I did to remedy the situation, then just PM me and I will try explain more clearly how to do what I did to fix the problem. Please remember that I am still a complete and total newb when it comes to xbox modification, but I do know how to fix this one problem.

Edited by geekout2, 26 July 2005 - 03:54 PM.

#3 geekout2

geekout2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

Well,

After hours of trial, error, frustration, and pulling of hair, I seem to have fixed the problem.

What I had to do was get a copy of avalaunch.xml from the web.

Edit this line <user name="Default" password=""> using notepad. (on my PC)

Replace "Default" with a word of my choice, and put another word of my choice in between the "" for a password. Save the file as avalaunch.xml (on my PC)

Burn the new edited file avalaunch.xml onto a CD-RW.

Boot the xbox to Avalaunch

Load said CD-RW into the xbox and use file manager to copy from the D drive to C drive thus overwriting the copy of avalaunch.xml that was already there.

Now when I use Flashfxp or Qwix and put in the new username and password that I assigned, everything works great.

I'm glad that everything works great and I can fianlly get some mp3's onto my xbox, but I still don't know why xbox/xbox would not work as the default password. Would be interested in finding out, if someone out there has an explanation.

If anyone else is having the same problem as me and do not understand what I did to remedy the situation, then just PM me and I will tell you how to do what I did to fix the problem. Please remember that I am still a complete and total newb when it comes to xbox modification, but I do know how to fix this one problem.

#4 geekout2

geekout2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:38 PM

Sorry about the double post blink.gif

#5 Iverass

Iverass

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

Hi guys, I hade the some problem, i have however, an easier solution...

Just log in using:

User: Default
Pass:

(password is blank).

Then you might wanna copy over the avalaunch.xml to your harddrive and edit the user/password.

C u round

#6 chiefpmd

chiefpmd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

You are a life saver! That little trick worked great. The only thing that puzzles me is that I had it working before. I have not installed a newer version or anything. Well, the important part is that it works. Definitely try if you get this error message.

#7 spacemanson

spacemanson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:39 AM

Iverass....Your post saved me a pantload of frustration. Followed your simple instructions and all is now well in my universe....I only want to add for others doing a search with same prob using flashfxp the error comes up as "550 illegal logon"......

#8 GM Tomcat

GM Tomcat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:38 AM

Lemme start off by saying I'm not a nerd, so I have no idea what FTP means or that shit, all I wanna know is can I put movies from my PC to my Xbox using Qwix?

#9 pedstunite

pedstunite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Wow.

I had the exact same problem, and the "Default" solution worked...

Any ideas why this problem happened in the first place??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users