Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:59 AM

We returned our ps2 after 3 and a half years of owning it and got around 350$canadian back.
My dad recently told me he would put that towards buying me and my brother (same age) an xbox360.

This is the thing.
I've been planning on putting an xbox360 and tv or monitor in my room.
If my parents buy an xbox360, then it will be mine and my brothers equally. It will then be going into our den (where we played ps2).
I could ask to put it into my room, but you know the catch. "You brother has to be able to play. He has to agree and be happy with it. It's not your xbox360, it's both of yours ,so why should YOU put it in Your room??"
It's just going to be a big pain.

Either I can attempt to do this and buy a 600$ hd television for my room (27" 1080i) OR buy my own Xbox360 and a 150-200$ monitor (720p) for myself.

If I opt to buy my own Xbox360 and Monitor, my parents will have nothing on me, but if I put the xbox360 which my parents bought for me and my brother, then it could easily come right out if I play too much etc etc. My parents will constantly be saying "you are always in your room" etc.

My parents don't mind too much about how much I play games, but putting a console which they bought for me And my brother into My room would be something they would have against me.

If I get my own xbox360, I will have the luxury of having my parents not be able to take it out and put it into my brothers room or back into the den because I paid my own cash for it. The slight downside is that I have to play with a monitor (which I really don't mind) instead of a 27" hdtv.

You might be asking "why don't you use your parents Xbox360 and a monitor instead of 600 bucks on a tv??"

This is because of my brother.
If he would rather have the xbox360 be in the den on our 27" 480i tv instead of on a 17" monitor, then to the den it goes since the console is equally ours. He said he won't like playing on such a small scree, especially while playing split screen games.
You get it? The only way he'd be comfortable is with another television set in my room, which would cost me more money.

The price difference comes out surprisingly close.
600 dollar tv = 600$
or
Xbox360 for 450 (with game etc) and 150-200 dollar monitor = roughly 600$

So its either a free xbox360 and a 27" 1080i television, but no say over if the xbox360 stays in my room or how long I should be playing and how unfair it is to my brother...
OR
Buy an xbox360 for myself while the one my parents buy stay in the den for my brother to play along with a monitor so I get full control over my console without 'the catch'.

The thing is, buying a secondary xbox360 might seem a little useless since they already bought one for us and since it's such an expensive investment, but if I don't get my own then I wont have any control over it.

I might be able to mish mash the free xbox360 into my room with a monitor, but my brother won't be happy playing split screen on such a small screen, meaning the console will go down to the dens 27" tv.

so its either 600 bucks for a tv or 600 bucks for a monitor and an xbox360 for myself.

Alot of you might not understand, but I play alot more games than my brother unless it's split screen multiplayer occasionally. This is why my parents feel as if I am unfair to my brother in terms of games. They think my brother doesn't get to play because I'm always on. this is partly true in some cases, but my brother doesn't mind a whole bunch.

It's a brother and parents kind of thing.

Edited by Carlo210, 26 July 2005 - 03:03 AM.

#2 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:24 AM

if you get booted off while playing because of your brother, you cant put a price on having your own and be in total control of playtime.

I say get your own, lifes short.

#3 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:24 AM

Even if you paid for it , is still their house , so they can do whatever they want , the solution is buy your own house. tongue.gif

#4 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:28 AM

Actually, like I said, if I buy my own, they won't mind me playing it, but they will mind that my brother won't get much of an opportunity to play it. The thing is, if it is an xbox360 which I paid for, my brother wouldn't have to play it. My parents can't go 'you have to let your brother play more' because I bought it myself.
That's more of the point I should have bought across, sorry for that.

Also, Deftech, that is what I was thinking. It could also work out, i mean, we could play some LAN games etc over our connection, so that would be just equally as fun.

I kinda got all nice and tingly when I heard my dad was going to buy us an xbox360, but there is a catch (read all above). lol

So is having my parents get off my back about my brother not being able to play much and about how the console isn't Mine worth 450 bucks? I think deftechs reply helped alot in saying Yes.
In a way, it is, unless my brother can show that he really doesn't care mucha bout it being in my room, but that would still sum up to my OWN playtime, so the catch remains.

Edited by Carlo210, 26 July 2005 - 03:31 AM.

#5 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(Infamous_One @ Jul 26 2005, 12:35 AM)
Even if you paid for it , is still their house , so they can do whatever they want , the solution is buy your own house.  tongue.gif

View Post

hes 16

#6 Larrimus

Larrimus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Xbox (360 included), Wii, games in general, car, car audio and most of all...my BEAUTIFUL WOMAN, AMY

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:42 AM

I'd say spring for your own 360. If you get just one and even if you put it in your room, would you really want your brother in there all the time? Not that you have anything against him or anything like that, but wouldn't you want the freedom to just get away and play what you want when you want?

#7 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:43 AM

Yeah I'm sixteen (yay to today). I got 150 bucks today actually, so my monitor is basically paid off right there. biggrin.gif

The whole deal about getting my own xbox360 while the one my parents bought lay in the den not being too touched by my brother (since he uses the pc alot more) might not seem to hot though. I mean, I'll be buying all the games and xbox live and they will be mine.

The thing I'm really looking for is if I can come to a truce. Maybe like pay for half of the xbox360 while my dad pays for the other half...
Well, the xbox360 will probably be a christmas gift, so something like that is a bit stupid. If I get my xbox360 before christmas, then there wouldn't be anything to talk about as far as having a second xbox360 goes. OOHhhhh everything is looking so much clearer.

If I get mine first, then the only ones being radical by getting a second one would be my parents. They might not end up getting one if I already buy my own. I hope I can make the money to do this though, I was partly depending on christmas gift money to contribute to my xbox360 purchase, but I might be able to make enough (should be able to make enough) off of work to buy a console at the end of november-ish.
At least I hope I can.

Well I gotta call Walmart sometime this week telling them I am able to work in any available postition since I am now 16 years of age. My application and interview reports have already been sent to the head offices and the manager at the walmart said I have a good chance of getting the job.
Tough procedure, eh?

#8 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Jul 26 2005, 04:46 AM)
hes 16

View Post

So what , theres no age limit for having a house.

#9 Larrimus

Larrimus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Xbox (360 included), Wii, games in general, car, car audio and most of all...my BEAUTIFUL WOMAN, AMY

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:47 AM

What position would you hold at Wally World? I just started in Sears electronics and it pretty much sucks. However, I do get perks like a *cough* extra discount *cough* on my new HD monitor and a 360 put back when they come in. Oh yeah, 360 for only $270...well...if they're $300 anyway. biggrin.gif

Edited by Larrimus, 26 July 2005 - 03:47 AM.

#10 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(Larrimus @ Jul 26 2005, 04:53 AM)
I'd say spring for your own 360. If you get just one and even if you put it in your room, would you really want your brother in there all the time? Not that you have anything against him or anything like that, but wouldn't you want the freedom to just get away and play what you want when you want?

View Post

My brother isn't such a single player guy. He likes the multiplayer. He is only a casual gamer, so really hed rather spend most of his free time mubling around on Gamefaqs.com than playing games. Though my parents, especially my mom, are concsious of my brother and how fair/unfair I am towards him. My dad is just total "They play too many games" but at the end of the day he just doesn't bother argueing about it.

I don't play so so much. If I get a game, and if it's good (single player wise), I'll play it for a week or so with all the free time I got. After that, I'd go back to the multiplayer online title, such as socom2 (shitty game, but what else does ps2 have). I'd be playing that around 4 hours a day, depending on how fun it is.

I do play alot. Once I get home after a tough day of academic schooling, I like to get my homework done (any projects and mathematics only) and then relaxe by watching tv or, better yet, by playing games.

#11 Larrimus

Larrimus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:52 AM

Well, it sounds like you'd have no problems with only one. I understand the point of view of having your own though, just so you can pretty much say, "yes, this is mine." Anyway, you might want to look into the nicer tv. HD's are pretty freakin' awesome...

#12 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:05 AM

Hdtv's might be nice, but monitors have the same quality picture (if not better).

I'm going to be getting 720p at, if I choose the samsung at futureshop, a .20 mm pixel dot rate. cool.gif

Also, I'm not going as far as to buying my own just to say 'it's mine' just for the hell of it. I would have no problem sharing a console with my brother as I have in the past, but putting it in my bedroom is a new step.

Also, the nicer tv is basically a big no no. At this point, it's either a free xbox360 with monitor in my room with a big catch or my own xbox360 and monitor without a catch.

Edited by Carlo210, 26 July 2005 - 04:07 AM.

#13 Larrimus

Larrimus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:15 AM

Well, it all comes down to what you think is best, not our opinions. Best of luck to you!

#14 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:25 AM

I guess within November I can get the xbox360 at walmart (no bundle, good ol walmart) with perfect dark zero. I'm guessing a month of xboxlivegold is included.
Then I drive down to futureshop and pick up the monitor.

Before this, I gotta tell my parents about it. whether or not the feel good about it, it'll come down to the fact that they won't let me use the xbox360 they buy in my room because of limitations etc which I have explained. They will either come around to letting me put it in my room (I doubt the catch will dissappear) or going out to get my own xbox360. Either way, I'm getting an xbox360, Just the cheaper way = the pain in the ass way.

If my parents let me put it in my room because they would rather me actually use the xbox360 they are planning to get me on christmas, it still won't be mine ,meaning it doesn't deserve to be in my room, meaning it should go in the den.

Something that tears this apart is the fact that when I brought up that I want to buy my own next gen console and put it in my room during a conversation about ps3 (I said EW no, I'm buying my own xbox360), my dad said "Hey, even better, more money for me".
So maybe the fact that I'm buying my own isn't so bad on my parents as they probably won't end up buying one at christmas if I decide to go this route.

My brother then wont be playing on an xbox360 in the den meaning my parents might go 'your brother can play too right?'. I say yeah, we play some split screen etc.
He might not be thrilled about playing on a 16" screen in split screen, but it's not hi to complain about. My parents can't get angry that m brother isn't happy with it because it was all my purchase, meaning I didn't have my brother in mnd, meaning I didnt spend the extra $$$ on a television just to make him happy.
Ah, it seems so much more laid back, I hope it can end up this way.

As you can see, the whole purchasing deal in my household is a bit tight because of me and my brothers brotherhood, so to speak. ph34r.gif
Even if my brother says "I don't wanna play any games right now", my mom will still think it's because "Of course you don't because Carlo doesn't let you" etc etc. It's pointless trying to clear that up, really.

The 2 main reasons I wanted to get a console in my room is:
1. So my mom can get off of my back.
2. My den tv is really shitty. The only way I can get a new display source, especially a hd one, is by purchasing one myself. If I'm going to go buy a monitor or tv myself, I might as well put it into my room. Monitor in my room = a console gotta complete the package. Why put a console in the den if I can put it on my hd display. The only way I can get one into my room with complete family compatibility is if I purchase it myself.

That's just how the cookie crumbles.

Edited by Carlo210, 26 July 2005 - 04:34 AM.

#15 brooksie48

brooksie48

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:50 AM

From experience get your own! With ps2 my brother and I were both casual gamers, but when he came home with his friends they were looking for GTA. It sucked, we got ps2 for Christmas, but he would kick me out whenever he wanted to play. Times have changed now though since I am 6'2" and he is 5'10".

Edited by brooksie48, 26 July 2005 - 04:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users