• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fst00

fst00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:13 AM

I have just moded my xbox with an x3 chip and am going to put in a new HDD. I'm wondering if the majority of people who did this had to use additional cooling and that its required or if the cooling mods are just for people obsessed about a few degrees. I really want to keep the case on and not chop up my stock xbox, but I am willing to use a 12v adapter for the fan and cut a hole in the hd tray if needed. Do you think anything else is needed? Also is that xbox auto cooler thing crap or does it help? I've read conflicted reports about it. The HD i'm getting is a Maxtor 250gb 6L25ORO.

#2 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(fst00 @ Jul 25 2005, 11:24 PM)
I have just moded my xbox with an x3 chip and am going to put in a new HDD. I'm wondering if the majority of people who did this had to use additional cooling and that its required or if the cooling mods are just for people obsessed about a few degrees. I really want to keep the case on and not chop up my stock xbox, but I am willing to use a 12v adapter for the fan and cut a hole in the hd tray if needed.  Do you think anything else is needed? Also is that xbox auto cooler thing crap or does it help? I've read conflicted reports about it. The HD i'm getting is a Maxtor 250gb 6L25ORO.

View Post

i have a 200gb maxtor like urs and ive had it for about a week or so now, and it does get hotter than the original xbox hd cauz the xbox hd ran at 5400 rpm i believe, and mine and urs both run at 7200 rpm, but ive had no problems even though im still paranoid. if u feel the need, go ahead and by the fan, even though its optional.

#3 Strud1512

Strud1512

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:31 AM

There really is no need for additional cooling. The larger, faster HD makes very little difference to the overall system temperature. Just ensure you have adequate ventilation (the same as you would with a stock xbox).
I have modded dozens of consoles with new 7200rpm hard drives and have never had temperature issues.

Edited by Strud1512, 26 July 2005 - 05:32 AM.

#4 KyesaRRi

KyesaRRi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

Older version xbox's [The ones with the GPU fan] can have cooling problems to begin with [belive me i live in australia and this thing gets real hot] so im installing a new 80mm fan into my 1.0 before summer hits. But if you live in a area whereit doesent get that hot then your xbox should be ok.

#5 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(KyesaRRi @ Jul 26 2005, 06:48 AM)
Older version xbox's [The ones with the GPU fan] can have cooling problems to begin with [belive me i live in australia and this thing gets real hot] so im installing a new 80mm fan into my 1.0 before summer hits. But if you live in a area whereit doesent get that hot then your xbox should be ok.

View Post

The outdoor temp has nothing to do with your hdd/mobo temp as it always less than the temp those parts will be. Even in extremely hot regions it might just differ just a little.

Additional cooling is not needed, vacuuming your room frequently might be a better option, so the fan won't get clogged by collected dust.

If you're really paranoid, you can adjust your fanspeed in most current dashboards. Doing so results in a shorter lifespan for your fan, so beware, don't go from 20% to 100%

#6 langobot

langobot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Modding [of course]<br />Bodyboarding the great aussie reefs
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:03 AM

The outdoor temp has nothing to do with your hdd/mobo temp as it always less than the temp those parts will be. Even in extremely hot regions it might just differ just a little.

hahaha. you would be suprised how untrue that is. being an aussie myself i agree with KyesaRRi, the temp does make quite a difference. on a hot day my box reads from 5-10degrees hotter. but as Soullar said, most of the new dash's support fan control, so theres no need to worry m8 wink.gif

#7 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(langobot @ Jul 26 2005, 10:14 AM)
hahaha. you would be suprised how untrue that is. being an aussie myself i agree with KyesaRRi, the temp does make quite a difference. on a hot day my box reads from 5-10degrees hotter. but as Soullar said, most of the new dash's support fan control, so theres no need to worry m8 wink.gif

View Post

That's what I said ....
Even in extremely hot regions it might just differ just a little
that margin won't make the difference.

Agreed on the fact the early xbox's tend to overheat easier though.

Still occasionally vacuuming (or cleaning your xbox) is still a good solution (seen many xboxes worse than the inside of a vacuumcleaner bag)

#8 Papa chris

Papa chris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

I modified my XBOX for better cooling because I noticed that on hot days the XBOX was running not stable. This is the modification I made to cool down the NVIDEA and the HDD

I mounted two small cpu coolingfans to the left side of the box that will blow in air because the main fan is sucking air out of the box you will create a better air circulation, temperature drop 10 up to 15 degrees.

I replace3d the main fan with a better one and connected it directly to the 12V on the HDD cable.

And as last I cut out the black plastic whit the sticker on it where the HDD is located, so the main faan will blow air over the HDD directly.

After these modifgications the XBox never crashed again and is 100% stable.

The only thing you have to do is to clean the mainboard twice a year to get out the dust.

Chris

#9 fst00

fst00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:58 PM

thanks. my house is air conditioned so inside temp never reaches above 80 F (26 C). The xbox is a brand new 1.6, so its clean and doesnt have the gpu fan. I suppose I'll just try running the HD for awhile and if gets hot (near or above 60C) then i will buy additional parts/mods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users