Photo

How Can I Turn An.iso File Into A Bootable Disc?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 billperrotta

billperrotta

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

I can back up my games to iso files with qwix.
But once they are on my pc I can't burn them to a Dvdr as xbes,
to make them run from a bootable Dvdr. Is there a way to do this?
I am also using Nero Smart start. I was thinking of ftping a game straight from my Xbox via core-ftp. If I did that and burned the entire folder containing that particular game to Dvdr, would that make the burned Dvdr game bootable from the disc?
Do I include the root folder or not? Or is there more required to accomplish this? uhh.gif

#2 Masterkizz

Masterkizz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

If you have an .iso file - You just use nero to burn it straight to a disk.

The .iso contains all of the data to mount all of the files in the correct way so that the xbox will read the disc as a game.

Can you just double click on the .iso and burn it?

you may need a more up to date/full featured version of nero.

You do have a modded xbox yes?

#3 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

All right, let's see if we can't make some sense of this post...

QUOTE(billperrotta @ Jul 26 2005, 08:05 AM)
I can back up my games to iso files with qwix.
Fantastic!
But once they are on my pc I can't burn them
Hmm, in what way I wonder? Do you not have burning software? Do you have a DVD-R drive? Have you tried to burn and they fail? Do they burn ok, but don't read in your XBOX?!
to a Dvdr as xbes,
Uh, as xbes? What the hell does that mean? The executable files are inside the ISO, you don't need to see them.!
to make them run from a bootable Dvdr. Is there a way to do this?
Yes it's described in the tutorials, but if you already got Qwix to make the ISO, you've done the hard part, just burn that baby!
I am  also using Nero Smart start.
Ok, good, so you DO have burning software. Should work fine.
I was thinking of ftping a game straight from my Xbox via core-ftp.
That works too, make sure to either make an ISO image on your PC using something like Craxtion, or to at least patch the .xbe if you are just going to burn in UDF format without making an ISO
If I did that and burned the entire folder containing that particular  game to Dvdr, would that make the burned Dvdr game bootable from the disc?
Yes, if you first patch all the .xbe files to allow loading from writable media and you burn UDF. Some people report loading/performance issues with this method though.!
Do I include the root folder or not?
Uh, probably not. The default.xbe file should be in the root directory of your disc.
Or is there more required to accomplish this? uhh.gif
Just the media check patching, like I said.

Let's verify three things though....you DO have a modchip? Your aren't using +R DVD media with a Samsung DVD drive in your XBOX? You are using high quality DVD media?

This could just be a media problem, but you really didn't give enough info. to diagnose.

Edited by Mr Ed, 26 July 2005 - 05:24 PM.

#4 billperrotta

billperrotta

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Mr Ed @ Jul 26 2005, 06:35 PM)
All right, let's see if we can't make some sense of this post...

Fantastic!Hmm, in what way I wonder?  Do you not have burning software?  Do you have a DVD-R drive?  Have you tried to burn and they fail?  Do they burn ok, but don't read in your XBOX?!Uh, as xbes?  What the hell does that mean?  The executable files are inside the ISO, you don't need to see them.!Yes it's described in the tutorials, but if you already got Qwix to make the ISO, you've done the hard part, just burn that baby!Ok, good, so you DO have burning software.  Should work fine.  That works too, make sure to either make an ISO image on your PC using something like Craxtion, or to at least patch the .xbe if you are just going to burn in UDF format without making an ISOYes, if you first patch all the .xbe files to allow loading from writable media and you burn UDF.  Some people report loading/performance issues with this method though.!Uh, probably not.  The default.xbe file should be in the root directory of your disc.Just the media check patching, like I said.

Let's verify three things though....you DO have a modchip?  Your aren't using +R DVD media with a Samsung DVD drive in your XBOX?  You are using high quality DVD media?

This could just be a media problem, but you really didn't give enough info. to diagnose.

View Post

I can ftp games and transform them into iso's on my pc, but when I burn them to the 4.5 gig maxel dvdrw on my sony double dvdr the pc can read them,but the xbox can't . The xbox Dvd is a thompson. I might try ftping files directly from the xbox to the dvdrw, I so far have no idea if that's possible. Next week when I order a new 250 gig drive To install on my pc I will have more space to hold unzipped xbes. Just curios how do I patch the xbes? I do have a xenium spice, I tried maxel 4.5 dvdrw. I am using a thompson dvd not a Samsung drive in my xbox could that be a problem? uhh.gif

#5 jasho

jasho

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

First, if you are using Qwix to make your ISO's then there should be no problem with that .iso file. But, if you want to be sure, download Craxtion or SimpleX. I use both of them along with MooGUI so I know those three progs work great making Xbox ISOs. Second, since you are using Nero, make sure you are burning the file as an image. Don't burn the actual .iso file. Also, try burning them at 2.4x or lower and work your way up. Good luck!

~Jason

#6 Neilor

Neilor

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:29 PM

Just a thought.... when you say the PC drive can read the discs once burnt, what do you see when you double click on the drive.

Is it the files in the same structure as they were on the Xbox harddrive, or is it a single ISO file.

If it's the second answer then, you problem is that you've burnt the ISO as a datafile to the DVD, if it's the first answer I apologise for insulting you, and follow Jasho's advice.

#7 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Neilor @ Jul 28 2005, 09:40 AM)
Just a thought.... when you say the PC drive can read the discs once burnt, what do you see when you double click on the drive.

Is it the files in the same structure as they were on the Xbox harddrive, or is it a single ISO file.

If it's the second answer then, you problem is that you've burnt the ISO as a datafile to the DVD, if it's the first answer I apologise for insulting you, and follow Jasho's advice.

View Post

Yep, if you are using ISOs, your PC SHOULDN'T be able to read any files on the disc. It should look blank in your PC because it is in GDF format which your PC doesn't understand. If you do see stuff on that disc, you did something different than you described above.

#8 billperrotta

billperrotta

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(Mr Ed @ Jul 28 2005, 06:52 PM)
Yep, if you are using ISOs, your PC SHOULDN'T be able to read any files on the disc.  It should look blank in your PC because it is in GDF format which your PC doesn't understand.  If you do see stuff on that disc, you did something different than you described above.

View Post

They do look like Winrar datafiles when I burn them even if I tell neros to burn as an image. like a single iso file. but I will play around with it an try again. So then if you browse the disc when it's correctly burned from the pc as an image you should see nothing when browsing the disc from the pc dvdrom? the iso files do let me ftp them back to the xbox drive and then let me save them and use them on the xbox when I check the box to convert them to xbes. So then I should see them as iso datafiles on the pc hard drive but they should be invisible on the Dvdrw?

#9 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:35 PM

It should also be noted that the XBOX DVD-ROM drive may or may not read DVD-RW. For best results stick to a quality -R disc.

#10 billperrotta

billperrotta

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jul 28 2005, 07:46 PM)
It should also be noted that the XBOX DVD-ROM drive may or may not read DVD-RW.  For best results stick to a quality -R disc.

View Post

I will try to burn to a dvdr as an image. also i will try to extract the rar isos to craxion and then burn them.

#11 jasho

jasho

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(billperrotta @ Jul 28 2005, 01:53 PM)
... i will try to extract the rar isos to craxion and then burn them.

View Post

Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means....

~Jason

#12 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(jasho @ Jul 28 2005, 05:54 PM)
Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means....

~Jason

View Post

Can't mean much else...

#13 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(billperrotta @ Jul 28 2005, 12:53 PM)
I will try to burn to  a dvdr as an image. also i will try to extract the rar isos to craxion and then burn them.

View Post

Well it sounds like he has winrar associated with the .iso extension which happens. But I'm still trying to decide on this one. dry.gif

You didn't download these games off the internet did you?

#14 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

assuming you didnt download the game

dont double click on the .iso file, go into nero burning ROM and go file-> open and locate the .iso file, it should then ask you your burning options, look them over and press OK

#15 billperrotta

billperrotta

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:17 PM

I figured it Out last night. Qwix associates the Isos with Winrar which is not a problem.
Thanks everyone for the advice. And thank you Master Ace 777 because my xbox only reads dvdrs not rws. Changed to a regular dvdr opened the nero smart start options special options recorder menu on the top toolbar, and picked burn to image then selected the Invisible war iso looking rar file. After burning completed at 4x dvdr became unreadable by pc.
Put into Xbox and Bingo! Invisible war booted Touchdown! Now if I can only get Xbmc working. Is there a way to get the Xbox to read cdrws by any chance.
Quix seems to be a pretty fast iso creator! I have taken several of those isos and ftped them back and forth and they worked on the xbox, so if invisible works I'm sure the others will too. Is there really any benefit to using craxion or cpxmenux because it seems like they probably do the same thing?

Thanks again,
Everyone

Bill wink.gif

Edited by billperrotta, 29 July 2005 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users