Photo

Tutorial : Error 21 On Softmod (-attempt)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

TUTORIAL : Error 21 on softmod (-attempt)

So you got an 'error 21' and you're panicking now? Stop worrying. An error 21 is about the easiest fixed of all errors.

This tutorials will consist of 2 parts :

* You used an exploitable game and exploited savegame/installer and original games still boot.
* You used hotswapping and/or some other mod method and/or original games won't boot.

NOTE : There are more possible solutions, this tutorial is meant to be as noob-proof as possible.

General info :

An 'error 21' is some kind of general error. If it's not one of the 1-20 errors, but there's still something wrong, it will be reported as an 'error 21'. Most of the time there's something missing from your dash board. To solve this, just revert your c: drive to original, and start over modding.

If you used an auto-installer, this time use Krayzie's installer, it's the most newbie (and troublefree) installer out there at this moment. If you hotswapped and used another method, make sure to use 'UXE Complete' together with xboxhdm.

PART 1 : You used an exploitable game and exploited savegame/installer and original games still boot.

This couldn't be easier:

# Things needed : PC, exploitable game, original MS dashboard (from backup or Slayers (xbins)), exploited savegame or installer.

* Put your exploitable game in the DVD Drive. Turn off your xbox, Turn on your xbox.
* Load the exploited savegame/installer
--> You now have ftp access.
* Connect through FTP
* Delete everything on C:
* Put the MS dash on C:
* Delete everything on E: , except: E:\tdata and E:\udata (optionally e:\apps)
* Delete the savegame you used to mod (It's in E:\Udata\xxxxxxx , the x's represent the unique number for the exploitable game you used) (you're deleting this because it may contain uninstall info, which prevents/disables a reinstall)
* Put a 'virgin' savegame/installer in the same location you just deleted the old one.
* Reboot your xbox
* Start the installer (you did use Krayzie's this time, right?)
* Follow the onscreen directions.
* DONE!

PART 2 : You used hotswapping and/or some other mod method and/or original games won't boot.

The good news : on an error 21, hotswapping is still possible.

# Things needed : PC, xboxhdm (xbox-scene.com, software section), original original MS dashboard (from backup or Slayers (xbins).

Note : This will revert your xbox back to original, so you can start over your mod attempt. It's very well possible to correct the problem AND mod at the same time, but there are too many packages out there to give a tailor made solution for all. Simply start over and use 'UXE complete' (xbins) this time. Make sure to follow all directions in the 'UXE Complete' download.

* Make a bootable xboxhdm disc, following this tutorial : http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043
(You only have to include the MS dashboard in /linux/c/ )

* Hotswap your HDD to PC using this tutorial : http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=332179

* In xboxhdm, choose option 2 : Rebuild c-partition, follow the onscreen directions.

* Put hdd back into xbox.

--> Your xbox now starts 'original'

* Choose your prefered mod method and start over. If you don't want to invest in a memorycard and game, opt for "UXE Complete"! (though using an exploitable game, savegame and memorycard is preferred ...)

* DONE!

Thanks to :
- Krayzie, for his installer, time and patience.
- Daddy J, for his hotswapping tutorial, also check his music : http://redeyedfoolz.kyed.com/
- Kingroach, for the xboxhdm tutorial
- devz3ro, for creating 'UXE complete'
- All other 'softmod' regulars who contributed in either code or answers!

#2 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

Made this tut because it looks like there are at least 4 'error 21' questions on every page by now.

Feel free to comment, correct, contibute.

If needed I'll revise and repost.

Cheers guys!

(When I have the time, next tut will be : How do I completely remove a softmod. wink.gif ) (yes, those bungies scared 'em!)

Edited by Soullar, 28 July 2005 - 10:20 AM.

#3 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

Clean & too the point, Hopefully they'll read it wink.gif

beerchug.gif Good Job

#4 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Jul 28 2005, 01:00 PM)
Hopefully they'll read it wink.gif

View Post

Probably not, but it will save time because answering questions will now just be pasting a link to this thread, lol

#5 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:25 PM

Nice. Maybe you could add a section on how to react on getting an error 21 when using a gamesave exploit (cuz of faulty action replay cards and/or not copying the save over to the hd first)

#6 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:44 PM

If you use SID (which blows), never create an M$ backup AFTER you put softmod in, you will overwrite previous backup, and when you try to restore you get.............ERROR 21. Yep the Update scared most straight into this prob. Great Job Soullar!!! beerchug.gif

#7 theturtlecsz

theturtlecsz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:40 AM

NM reading it again, i'm guessing your assuming that the save game is still on the E.

this post makes no sense to me, it says
"for boxes with error 21, but regular PC games still load."
put in exploitable game.... OK
load savegame....?

How are you supposed to load a save game? Mem Card? Don't you have to xfer the savegame to the hd first thru MS save game manager. Which you can't get to if your getting error 21?

Edited by theturtlecsz, 29 July 2005 - 05:46 AM.

#8 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(theturtlecsz @ Jul 29 2005, 06:51 AM)
NM reading it again, i'm guessing your assuming that the save game is still on the E. 
this post makes no sense to me, it says
"for boxes with error 21, but regular PC games still load."
put in exploitable game.... OK
load savegame....?

How are you supposed to load a save game? Mem Card?  Don't you have to xfer the savegame to the hd first thru MS save game manager. Which you can't get to if your getting error 21?

View Post

Yes you need the save on the hd allready. People should need to learn to never delete their exploited save. otherwise you would need to hotswap.

#9 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:30 AM

I'll add an extra line in the description when I revise this tut ... thought this was clear.

#10 theturtlecsz

theturtlecsz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:20 AM

it was, i just read the 2 options quickly, my particular issue is i used Xboxhdm and now i'm getting error 21 but i can boot regular games..

I think I screwed up and forgot to put /E/Root on the disk biggrin.gif so uxe is trying to load dash file but it isn't there.

Looking at it a 2nd time though, it makes perfect sense, for someone that used a save game, my fault for not reading it right. But you are missing one group of stupid ppl. Myself included.

#11 gsharpshooter

gsharpshooter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

imvery sorry to say i got this error how ever yes indeed it its the best and easiest thing to fix cuz last time i got error 13 then 16 now i got 21 but this time my game saves are still available whihc means this is the best one and im thanxkful for it but the only prob is i did use kraizes to install a softmod and i enede up with this error i can still ftp have evox 3935 but something else i never relized i got this error cuz i installedalot of trainers never went on live with them and i think this is theprob i rebooted and turned off my xbox alot so dont no if thats the prob or not cuz the other day was going to play a mod free game so i decieded to use the m$ dashboard then i see error 21 iw was pretty shocked cuz i didnt do anything rong so yeah i have no idea how the error came up how ever evox still works and ftping still works hope that give u enough info so PLZZZZZ HELP ME or should i just uninstall the mod then reinstall it or should i try turning off the softmod then putting in a live starter disk <<<<<thinking of doing that>>>>PLZZZZ HELP ME however hacking still works 2 thanx if u can help me

#12 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(gsharpshooter @ Aug 7 2005, 03:12 PM)
imvery sorry to say i got this error how ever yes indeed it its the best and easiest thing to fix cuz last time i got error 13 then 16 now i got 21 but this time my game saves are still available whihc means this is the best one and im thanxkful for it but the only prob is i did use kraizes to install a softmod and i enede up with this error i can still ftp have evox 3935 but something else i never relized i got this error cuz i installedalot of trainers never went on live with them and i think this is theprob i rebooted and turned off my xbox alot so dont no if thats the prob or not cuz the other day was going to play a mod free game so i decieded to use the m$ dashboard then i see error 21 iw was pretty shocked cuz i didnt do anything rong so yeah i have no idea how the error came up how ever evox still works and ftping still works hope that give u enough info so PLZZZZZ HELP ME or should i just uninstall the mod then reinstall it or should i try turning off the softmod then putting in a live starter disk <<<<<thinking of doing that>>>>PLZZZZ HELP ME however hacking still works 2 thanx if u can help me

View Post

Fact : Academic educated people will lose track in sentenses over 18 words.

Your one sentence has ... ermmmm 200?

Please rephrase your question with normal sentences, some blank lines, full stops, capitals, no "internet lingo" and I'll try to help you out. Promise.

Sorry, lost track within 3 lines. Not readable.

Edit : OK, you can even skip the capitals and full stops, just make it readable. blink.gif

Edited by Soullar, 07 August 2005 - 02:28 PM.

#13 gsharpshooter

gsharpshooter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

ok sorry my xbox got that same thing error 21 and all i did was use trainers and ftped them and i did reboot alot but never went on live then i wanted to play a non modded game so i go to ms dahsboard on evox menu 3935 then this error 21 thing comes up and i used the krazies auto installer for this so im thinking to uninstall my mod then installing it again or turn it off then put in a live starter disk and yes i still have access to ftping and hacks and everything else if that helps hope i rephrased better sorry for the other post oo yeah help would be great now or should i get slayers whichi i dont no how oo yeha sorry to say but i dont no how i got this error i just went to regilar ms dah whihc ive done millions of times yet this time it quits on me thanx for sparring ur time for me by the way cool.gif

Edited by gsharpshooter, 07 August 2005 - 09:36 PM.

#14 gsharpshooter

gsharpshooter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

woo never mind this is weird i turn the sofmtod off and pressto the dahsboard is there never mind i think ill keep the error unless u can still help me hmm its reallw weird ill try uninstalling then installing again ok nvm i got it to work again thanx for all yur help anyways thanku

Edited by gsharpshooter, 07 August 2005 - 11:17 PM.

#15 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:59 AM

@ gsharpshooter : re-read your own posts. Do you know what you're trying to say or ask yourself? Still unreadable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users