#1 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

I was wondering what would be a good upload speed to host around 10 players in halo 2. I ran a couple internet speed tests and came up with an average of around 488 Kbps. Now I read somewhere that you should have at least 512 Kbps to host morethan 6 players. So in order to try and increase I was considering upgrading my computer memory from 256MB to 512MB. Do you think this would help. According to my ISP which is adelphia I am suppose to get upwards of around 700 Kbps upload speed so I know there is got to be some way to raise mine. Any suggestions other than the memory ugrade would be apppreciated.

#2 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:56 AM

I wish I knew, cause I only get 256 and should be getting around five.
A guy told me the other day to go buy a new modem, cause I'm using the one the cable company gave me.

I went to Best Buy and priced em, and the cheapest cable modem they had was 70.00$. seen ones that look decent for 20-30 on Ebay. just need to find time to go snipin on EBAY.

#3 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

I have my owm cable modem that I bought at circuit city and it cost around $80 so It is pretty good. However I am aware that ugrading your systems memory can incease performance, but I am not sure if it would increase my upload speed. Does anyone know. I did a random search on google and came up with nothing that pertained to my question. BTW I don't know if this helps but the computer I run kai on is a dell demension 8200, pentium 4 2.4GHz 256MB 533MHz FSB

#4 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

I have my owm cable modem that I bought at circuit city and it cost around $80 so It is pretty good. However I am aware that ugrading your systems memory can incease performance, but I am not sure if it would increase my upload speed. Does anyone know. I did a random search on google and came up with nothing that pertained to my question. BTW I don't know if this helps but the computer I run kai on is a dell demension 8200, pentium 4 2.4GHz 256MB 533MHz FSB. It is about 3-4 years old.

Sorry double post clicked the submit button twice sad.gif

Edited by porsche6714, 29 July 2005 - 02:35 PM.

#5 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:24 PM

maybe its your router if you have one, most of the time when your isp tells you what your max speed is suposed to be, like 384/512/768, you will never reach that max, the farther away from your isp home the less your speed will be, im posed to mak at 1.5DL and 768UL and when ever i do a speed test it usually around 1.2DL and 660UL

with this speed im able to run 6 vs 6 in GR GRIT GR2 with out a hitch but my server locks up when i try to do a solo and fill up with 16, 14 runs fine but 16 always locks it up

but this can also depend on everyone elses connection too

another thing i heard is when your isp detects things like xbox and ps2 online play they lessen the bandwith as its for fun/recreation, but then what the hell is the pc for so i dont get why they would leave your pc at full and downgrade your counsel but thats what i heard

edit: oh i also heard on cable internet your speed fluxuates alot because the connection is shared more with other users in the area as with dsl your speed is way more consistent as its not shared

Edited by deacon187, 29 July 2005 - 10:26 PM.

#6 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:09 PM

Ya I do have a router. I is a linksys WRT54G. I do also have cable and my speeds do usually vary from 3.0DL to 3.5DL and my upload speeds vary from 450 to 500. But that is still a far cry from the supposed 768 Kbps. So in an attempt to increase my speeds a little I was going to increase my computers memory from 256MB to 512MB. Does anyone know if this would help my speeds. Or if there is any other way to increase my speeds.

#7 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:12 AM

call your isp and ask them what they think you would reach with your distance from the main service they provide

i dont think more memory in your pc would boost your net connection, it might load pages faster at that same speed since your pc uses the extras memory but i dont think it will increase your bandwith, what OS are you running cause if your using winxp you should up your memory regardless, but i really dont think more ram will boost your net connection speed

is that a wireless router that you have, maybe borrow a friends wired router and see if that makes a difference as that could affect your bandwith

ive got a site for our clan running off my pc with a web server, use the net, play on live,stream music off my server and listen to winamp net radio all at the same time and dont have any trouble hosting with my connection

the router could be the culprit, i had some efficient network router/modem combo from my isp, i got ftp speeds in the 800's,(really sucked, took 2 hours to transfer just one 3-4 gig game back and forth to my xbox) fucked up the router settings and couldnt log into it anymore and also locked my isp out of it,i couldnt get online at all and the isp couldnt figure it out so they sent me a new modem, i told them i had my own router and didnt want another router/modem combo since it was 100.00 cheater for just a modem and with my linksys router(not sure on the model, no light right not to check it out) but my ftp upted to 5-9000 lol, so try messing with your router settings to an extent, if you dont what it is dont touch it as you may lock yourself out as i did

ps i am not responsible if you mess with your router setting and fuck things up so dont blame me

#8 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

I gave adelphia a call and they claim I should get somewhere between 600 and 650 upload speed.

I do have winxp so I was probably going to up the memory in in anyways.

My router is wireless but my computer and my xbox are all wired together using the ethernet ports in the back. The wireless part is just for my laptop, which usually is not in use while i am playing on line.

I don't think my router is the problem. I have tried completly bypassing my router and going directly from the modem to my computer and my speeds were just about the same. Also when I ftp between my pc and xbox I get speeds around 8000 to 9000 so that is pretty good.

I also used a couple of programs to mess with the registy settings and that actually helped.

Oh well I guess I will just have to live with joining games instead of hosting them. Thanks for all of the help

#9 mcbraders

mcbraders

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:blah
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

if you have 488 u can host round 6 players ye if u know some1 else with roughly same connection then you can both host together by setting both your status's to hosting an you can get a lot more players in your server

o an btw this actually does work ____

#10 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

really, if that would work that would be really cool. Has anyone else herd of this. How would that work. Both me and a friend would set our status to hosting but only one of us would actually host the game. But if the otherperson sets his status to hosting how can he join the game.

#11 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

if you have 488 u can host round 6 players ye if u know some1 else with roughly same connection then you can both host together by setting both your status's to hosting an you can get a lot more players in your server

Has anyone else herd of this where you can combine bandwith by having two people host. I have seen it sometimes in the private areans you see two people with host next to their name. I doubt it though it seems unlikley. If anyone knows something about this please post

thanks beerchug.gif

#12 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

No that wont work.

The "host" is basicly the router for all other players, so for a host to pass along some of that responsibility, the host would still have to upload all that game traffic to the second host.

#13 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

Thats what i figured, it sounded pretty unlikley. Thanks for the reply.

#14 DOS4GW

DOS4GW

The XLink Fraggle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Pet my Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:59 PM

As long as your ISP approves the DSL/cable modem/router you use you do not need a new one.

You should be able to log in to it and check what connection it is set at, both up and down. If it isn't the same as your subscription you could simply try to reboot the unit.

Your upload speed has very little to do with how much ram your computer has. If your modem/router is configured correctly for your subscription it is more common that speed issues are results of spy and/or adware.

How big game you can host differes from game to game based upon how much data each game generates.

You can calculate how big game you can host by using this formula:

Formula when hosting:

Bandwidth upload: Users x kb x (users - 1*)

Scenario: Hosting a low bandwidth (2kb) requiring game with 5 users.

Upload: 5 Users x 2 kb x (5 users - 1*) = 40 kb.

Why?

User 1 = Data from 2, 3, 4, 5 = 8 kb.
User 2 = Data from 1, 3, 4, 5 = 8 kb.
User 3 = Data from 1, 2, 4, 5 = 8 kb.
User 4 = Data from 1, 2, 3, 5 = 8 kb.
User 5 = Data from 1, 2, 3, 4 = 8 kb.

8 kb x 5 = 40 kb.

*You don't upload the data from an user back to himself.

However I might add that this is theoretical and slightly inaccurate because you don't send the data from each user in single packets. You bake them together and send one larger packet at a time. This way you save time and size due to less headers and handshakes.

This is why one laggy user can ruin a whole game, because he will delay all the data when the host is awaiting his data.

Download is simply (users - 1**) x kb

As (5 Users - 1**) x 2 kb = 10 kb.

**You don't download your own data.

Edited by DOS4GW, 12 September 2005 - 12:15 AM.

#15 porsche6714

porsche6714

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:00 AM

You should be able to log in to it and check what connection it is set at, both up and down. If it isn't the same as your subscription you could simply try to reboot the unit.

What do you mean by that? What should i be able to log into and check my connection speeds, do you mean the cable modem? Please clearify what you are talking about because if there is way I can check what my connection is set at i would really like to know what it is. Thanks a lot beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users