incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

not exactly 360 related but .........DAMN!

Holy sh........

#2 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

The story or page you were trying to access may have expired.

#3 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:41 PM

thats weird, im looking at it now but if i try the link it says its expired too.............anyways

this is what it says:

LINCOLN, Neb. - Brice Mellen is a whiz at video games such as "Mortal Kombat." In that regard, the 17-year-old isn't much different from so many others his age. Except for one thing: He's blind.

And as he easily dispatched foes who took him on recently at a Lincoln gaming center, the affable and smiling Mellen remained humble.

"I can't say that I'm a superpro," he said, working the controller like an extension of his body. "I can be beat."

Those bold enough to challenge him weren't so lucky. One by one, while playing "Soul Caliber 2," their video characters were decapitated, eviscerated and gutted without mercy by Mellen's on-screen alter ego.

"I'm getting bored," Mellen said in jest as he won game after game.

Blind since birth when his optic nerve didn't connect because of Leber's disease, Mellen honed his video game skills over the years through patient and not-so-patient playing, memorizing key joystick operations and moves in certain games, asking lots of questions and paying particular attention to audio cues. He worked his way up from games such as "Space Invaders" and "Asteroid," onto the modern combat games.

"I guess I don't know how I do it, really," Mellen said, as he continued playing while facing away from the screen. "It's beyond me."

Mellen knows this much: He started playing at home when he was about 7.

"He enjoyed trying to play, but he wasn't very good at first," said his father, Larry Mellen. "But he just kept on trying. ... He's broken a lot of controllers."

When the question of broken controllers comes up, Mellen flashes a smile and just shrugs.

"I used to have quite a temper," he said. "Me and controllers didn't get along very well."

Now they get along just fine.

While playing "Soul Caliber 2," Mellen worked his way through the introductory screens with ease, knowing exactly what to click to start the game he wanted.

He rarely asked for help. Once the game started he didn't need any help.

"How do I move?" an exasperated opponent, Ryan O'Banion, asked during a battle in which his character is frozen in place.

"You can't," Mellen answered before finishing him off.

"That's what happens. It's why I don't play him," O'Banion said after his blood-spattered character's corpse vanishes from the screen.

How Mellen became so good is a mystery to his father.

"He just sat there and he tried and tried until he got it right," Larry Mellen said. "He didn't ever complain to me or anyone about how hard it was."

Mellen hangs out any chance he gets at the DogTags Gaming Center in Lincoln, which opened last month. Every now and then someone will come in and think he can easily beat the blind kid.

That attitude doesn't faze Mellen.

"I'll challenge them, maybe. If I feel like a challenge," he said, displaying an infectious confidence. "I freak people out by playing facing backwards."

There's nothing he likes better than playing video games, Mellen said.

He will be a senior in high school next year. After graduation, he plans to take a year off because he wants a break from school.

When he does go to college, Mellen wants to study what else? video-game design.

I just thought it was kinda cool, and wanted to share the story.

Edited by incognegro, 29 July 2005 - 09:42 PM.

#4 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

he's blind?!?!

#5 ColdReader

ColdReader

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

heh thats a cool story one of my cousins cousins was blind everytime me and my other cousins would play him in the first mortal combat god he beat the hell out of us man the old 2D games..those were the days

#6 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

Im trying to figure out how does do it though.................thats amazing blink.gif

In the picture of him playing, he was playing one of the current gen mortal kombats.

Edited by incognegro, 29 July 2005 - 09:55 PM.

#7 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:43 PM

tongue.gif Pushing buttons , plus most games have autoaim crap.

#8 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:53 PM

I read about this guy over a month ago.
And that article has Soul Calibur 2 confused with the latest Mortal Kombat.

http://news.yahoo.co...mes_blind_gamer

Edited by miggidy, 29 July 2005 - 10:56 PM.

#9 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:13 PM

I don't understand how he can study video game design if he can't see. I mean, maybe playing videogames, but you cannot design stuff when blindfolded.

#10 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(Carlo210 @ Jul 29 2005, 05:24 PM)
I don't understand how he can study video game design if he can't see. I mean, maybe playing videogames, but you cannot design stuff when blindfolded.

View Post

You'd be surprised...

Also, he probably (unconsciously) listens to the buttons his opponent hits. You know, the D-pad sounds different from the triggers and the A/B/X/Y buttons.

#11 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:58 PM

Hes not phychic, he jsut knows how to play without seeing what hes doing. He doesn't listen to the opponents buttons dry.gif
Also, yes, yes I would be surprised if he could design a game with a mouse and keyboard and know what he's doing. If you think designing a game is as easy as pressing a few buttons blindfolded (All tehy are are button combos, might I add), then you've got a lot to learn.

Edited by Carlo210, 29 July 2005 - 11:58 PM.

#12 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(Carlo210 @ Jul 30 2005, 01:09 AM)
Hes not phychic, he jsut knows how to play without seeing what hes doing. He doesn't listen to the opponents buttons  dry.gif
Also, yes, yes I would be surprised if he could design a game with a mouse and keyboard and know what he's doing. If you think designing a game is as easy as pressing a few buttons blindfolded (All tehy are are button combos, might I add), then you've got a lot to learn.

View Post

Well he won't be designing the game with mouse and keyboard. He will probably have some kind of the new device that lets blind artist to create 3d modes but finger touch (just something like the books they have). In some sort of that I guess, but don't take my words. Howvere, if he will designe with mouse and keyboard (regular), then he probaly has some kind of ability to see (image) things. Maybe he is superhuman in some sort (annanuki). lol smile.gif

#13 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:49 PM

You are a sad little child.

Edited by Carlo210, 30 July 2005 - 06:49 PM.

#14 MrShadow

MrShadow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

its pretty amazing, its going to be tough coding, but it is hard playing blind... so you never know.

#15 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

Let me Repeat.
fighting games like soul calibur etc are probably the easiest games to play without any visual support. It's hard, but easier than playing, lets say, a puzzle game like tetris or a fighting game like super smash brothers.
In these fighting games, like mortal combat etc, your opponent is always either on your right or on your left. You just have to know the right button combos etc.
I'm not saying its easy, I mean, this kid has been playing for many, many years, but plays fightning games for a simple reason.

Anyone understand what I'm saying?

And spearfree, he is not superhuman, you retard.

I feel like I'm in Southpark or something where I am the only sane person who can understand this situation .Twisted symphony or deftech, please help me out here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users