• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kculver

kculver

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:02 PM

Forgive me but Im a bit excited. My Xbox Hard Drive died and all I wanted to do was replace the hard Drive. This mission led me to this forum and I found myself smack in the middle of new territory. Modded Xbox? YOu mean I cannot just Pop a new drive in my Xbox? ARRRRGH!!! What the heck is up with that? Reading and Reading, I discovered bits and pieces of what was very confusing stuff but figured out that the only way I was going to salvage my Xbox was to either buy a new one, buy a HD/MB combo, or send the unit to M$ at close to $100!Yikes! All I wanted was to get some utility value from my Xbox since I would be first in line for the 360!

anyway, thanks to this forum, I purchased the Xecuter 2.6 Solderless and installed it. It took me some time to understand that the Linux bios on the Xecuter was the only way they could legallty sell these without succoming the the wrath of MS and that I needed a hacked bios. Not reading enought I did this bios flash thing wrong several times but was lucky enough not to screw it up to the extent that I had to buy a programmer. Using the XBtool and X2Bm, I was able to get the hacked Bios thing done correctly and understand the importance of having a way in via Flashbios 3.03 and watching my banks.

OK, using Slayers 2.6 proved a problem but luckily I was able to use Craxtion4 to extract the Slayers 2.6 iso file and then using Ftpflash, was able to make a file compare to discover lots of files missing - Probably due to the crappy Thompson DVD unit. Anwyway, I corrected this via ftp file transfer, and everything worked!

Now I'm getting the Mod Thing! And I need a larger hard Drive so I go out and buy a 200 gig, backup my 10 gig, install the new drive, run Slayers 2.6 format only, and transfer via FTP. Everything works. XBlive works, I can boot stealth, copy my games direct to Hard Drive, and the XBMC is really sweet. Going to buy the AV Pack and probably install my Xbox to my Stereo system.

In summary, I am blown away what was opened up through Modding my Xbox! I am rediscovering this Gem of a system!

I posted only a few questions and everyone was courteous. Never did anyone flame me for being a noob and I want to say that this forum is really fantastic - I thank everyone for help as I was able to unravel everything primarily from reading and searching this site and its forums. can't wait for the modding adventures upcomming on the 360!

Sorry for the long post but wanted to share the adventures from a Noob's perspective! Peace!!!!!!!!

#2 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

I just wanted to say welcome to Xbox-Scene and please stay with us. You will learn a lot about how to mod the xbox, and what your modded xbox can do. Once you know a lot about it all, please help out the noobs. Congrats on your modded xbox.

#3 Vfreitas

Vfreitas

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

beerchug.gif

#4 manu_xl

manu_xl

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Hacking The Box!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

ive had the exact same feeling when i first saw the loading of a non stock bios ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users