• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pguilf

pguilf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

I'm hoping some Xbox genius out there can help me. I successfully modded my 1.6b xbox and was in the process of doing the same to my brother-in-law's xbox when I managed to pull the via off the solder point for LAD0 (the green wire). Not the connection to the pin header but the area of the small via hole at the other end of this wire.

I've tried to solder the wire to what is left of the via but it is a very poor connection.

Now when I start the xbox, the switch on the outside of the xbox lights up blue but the light aroung the eject button flashes green, and it won't eject the tray when you press the button. The dvd drive just "whirrs" a bit and after about 10 seconds the LEDs on either side of the button turn orange.

If I hold the power button the xbox boots normally and the eject button works.

So I'm guessing that the problem is the connection to LAD0 and my big question is... IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE SOLDERING POINT FOR LAD0??? Either somewhere else on the underside of the board or somewhere on the topside of the board?

If anybody could help me out here I would be eternally greatful. If not I'm Dead!!

Thanks in Advance.
Paul

#2 creativedirt

creativedirt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:49 PM

I don't have a cam to take a pic but on the topside of the board there is an IC the says xbox on it about 1 inch above the lpc and to the right of a big capacitor (if you're looking at the board as it would sit facing you in the xbox). The third leg of that IC shows continuity, there is also a via that takes space of the 7 in R7C8 that should work. I've only just checked with my multi meter, so use this at your own risk. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

#3 creativedirt

creativedirt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

would've have edited my first post but didn't seem to have permission...

Edit: Found a pic

Look to the left of the blue wire where it attached to the mobo, there is an R. The via to the right of it is where I'm talking.
user posted image

Edited by creativedirt, 31 July 2005 - 05:13 PM.

#4 pguilf

pguilf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I had a look and I think I know which chip you are talking about. I have no idea which pin is pin 3. Do you mean from the right or left? Is pin 3 located on the side of the chip closest to the LPC header area?

Without trying to sound cheeky, is there any way that you could get a picture of the exact location? Are you pretty confident that this point will do as an alternative for the LAD0 point on the underside of the board?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to fry the board and make things worse. At least at the moment you can still use the xbox by disabling the xecuter.

Thanks,
Paul

#5 creativedirt

creativedirt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:11 PM

Looking at the picture, the bottom row of pins starting at the right where the blue wire is attached. It will be the third pin if you start at the very and count left. I have no idea if this will work. I am confident in that those two points have continuity with the underside LAD0 point.

user posted image

#6 pguilf

pguilf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hi Creativedirt,
Ok, so I soldered the wire from the via you pointed out to the pin on the header, but no joy. When I press the pwer button I get blank screen, and the green light around the eject button just keeps flashing. If I press the eject button the xbox reboots and the same thing happens.

If I try to boot the xbox with the chip disabled (hold power button) the led on the xecuter switch flashes red briefly and then the xbox reboots to the problem above.

If I press and hold the power button the xbox boots then switches off and then switches on again with the xecuter led red and the eject light flash red and green.

So either the point you identified is not an alternative LAD0 or I've really fried the xbox now.

Let me know if you have any other alternatives that I can try. I gonna disconnect all the wires and see if the xbox will boot as normal then.

Cheers,
Paul

#7 pguilf

pguilf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

Well it looks like I don't need any more help!!! The motherboard is hosed. Removed everything and it just frags when I try to power it up. I've just bought another board from eBay. Next time I'll take my time.

Thanks Creativedirt for trying to help.

Bye for now!!!! mad.gif uhh.gif mad.gif sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users