#1 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

I would like to knwo how to do this so I can use XBox media Center to stream online radio and stuff like that. However I am confused as to how my network should be. My XBox is connected with a crossover cable to my computers PCI network card, the IP address details for this are as followed:

XBox IP: 192.168.1.2
SubNet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (PC's IP for that NIC)
DNS: 212.67.120.148 (same as PC)

I don't mind changing thesedetails as I have full power over this die of the network. At the moment I can FTP and stream to my XBox without problem. It's just connecting to the internet that is left. I connect to the internet using a USB wireless NIC, it connects to the router down stairs, which I don't have access to (my Dad controls it) so I can't change my network details in the slightest. My PC's network details are as followed:

PC IP: 192.168.0.124
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (wireless router)
DNS: 212.67.120.148

I'm hoping that someone can tell me how to network the 2 NIC together so my XBox connects to my PC if it needs to use the internet for online streaming. Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 paul_phil

paul_phil

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

I think if you need to bridge the 2 network connections on your PC then the you can set the xbox up as

XBOX IP: 192.168.0.125
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (wireless router)
DNS: 212.67.120.148

Go into 'control panel', then 'network connections'. Hold 'Ctrl' key and click on both NICs, right click then 'Bridge connections'.

Pretty sure this should work.

Edited by paul_phil, 01 August 2005 - 04:43 PM.

#3 MrFish

MrFish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

Bridging only works in XP. The other option is to keep your settings the same, and enable IP routing on the PC. 2K/XP: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters , change IPEnableRouter from 0 to 1. AFAI can tell, the settings you describe should just work if you turn IP routing on.

#4 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

I knwo how to bridge the connection but how do I change it for just one divce and not the entire bridge?

#5 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:56 AM

I would just like to point out what I've tried so far (I post on multiple forums so this copied), I have bridged the connect only to loose the active between both NICs. Nothing works and I'm in limbo. I've enabled IProuting (another forum suggest edit) and finally I'm deleted the gateway on both the computer and the XBox as I was told I don't need this (I ahd to put 000.000.0.00 in XBox media Center didn't allow blanks). Any more ideas would be greatful as I'm still in needoff this.

#6 MrFish

MrFish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Tsubasa @ Aug 1 2005, 06:11 PM)
I knwo how to bridge the connection but how do I change it for just one divce and not the entire bridge?

View Post

You don't/can't. That's the point of a bridge. Normally a TCP/IP/Ethernet stack looks like this:
CODE

Application
TCP
IP
Ethernet

When you have two NICs and routing, it looks like this:
CODE

Application
  /       \
 /         \
TCP        TCP
IP---------IP
Ethernet   Ethernet

The cards are linked, conceptually, at the IP layer. A packet destined for a remote machine comes in one ethernet, up to its IP layer, is routed to the other IP layer, and goes down and out the other ethernet.

When you have two NICs and bridging, it looks like this:

CODE
    Application
         TCP
         IP
       /    \
      /      \
Ethernet---Ethernet

You no longer have two sets of IP settings, because there's only one TCP/IP stack. Packets destined for a remote host go in one ethernet, and are bridged directly to the other. Packets for the local host can come in either NIC.

Here's some sample settings you might use:

Routed:

PC1 = wireless NIC, PC2 = wired NIC

PC1 IP: 192.168.0.124
PC1 SubNet: 255.255.255.0
PC1 Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (wireless router)
PC2 IP: 192.168.1.1
PC2 SubNet: 255.255.255.0
PC2 Gateway: 192.168.0.124 (PC1)
XBox IP: 192.168.1.2
XBox SubNet: 255.255.255.0
XBox Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (PC2)

PC/XBox DNS: 212.67.120.148

Bridged:

PC1, PC2 bridged
PCB IP/Subnet/Gateway: DHCP
XBox IP/Subnet/Gateway: DHCP

When bridged, DHCP will Just Work, because the XBox's DHCPReq packets will get bridged to the wireless network, and the router will answer them.

You say you're using a USB wireless NIC? Some (many) of them have problems going into the promiscuous mode necessary to support bridging ( http://support.MS.co...;EN-US;Q302348 ); if your wireless connection drops dead after you bridge them together, that's probably what's wrong.

#7 MrFish

MrFish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(Tsubasa @ Aug 2 2005, 02:07 AM)
finally I'm deleted the gateway on both the computer and the XBox as I was told I don't need this (I ahd to put 000.000.0.00 in XBox media Center didn't allow blanks).

View Post

That's a total lie. Even with bridging, your gateway has to be set to whatever host can get you off the subnet, which in your case is your router, 192.168.0.1 . If the bridge is working, DHCP should set this for you.

#8 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

So my USB device isn't meant for this bridge function as the wire;ess connection is being dropped?

#9 MrFish

MrFish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(Tsubasa @ Aug 2 2005, 07:42 PM)
So my USB device isn't meant for this bridge function as the wire;ess connection is being dropped?

View Post

Maybe. I've encountered this problem before over the phone, no solution was forthcoming, and it was not pressing enough to hammer away and fix it.

Bridging shouldn't break both connections, though. If from the PC you can't access the internet, and can't access the XBox, it may instead be that the PC's IP stack is misconfigured. Make sure the IP settings for the bridge and XBox are sensible (use DHCP if possible).

If you can access the XBox, but not the internet, it's a problem with the USB WLAN: either it doesn't do bridging, or the encryption settings have been lost in the switch. If the encryption keys are right, and new drivers and/or the 'compatibility mode' doesn't fix it, it may be that your USB wireless is not compatible.

This means that you'll have to do routing rather than bridging. The settings you had were pretty much correct; unbridging the connections, setting them up as they were (or as I describe in 'routed'), and turning on routing should make everything go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users