Photo

Where Is My Loose Wire Supposed To Be Soldered?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polybus

polybus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I did not do the original mod for my box.

I knocked the loose red wire off of something. It looks as though it used to be soldered on to the top of the chameleon chip onto the D0 part. Right now I frag everytime I try to boot. Does anyone know where I should solder it? Does that wire probably attach directly to the D0 point on the board?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

If that red wire is soldered to that screwhole.... then it's a ground. If it wraps underneath the motherboard and goes back over toward the pinheader...its probably your d0 wire that has been soldered to the underside d0. If it is in fact the d0...the person who did it should be shot wink.gif (d0 wires should be as short as possible) Looking at the pic of the chameleon's solder side, it looks as though a wire ripped off the d0 solder pad.

I'd pull the board out, check to make sure that red wire routes back toward the pinheader and the underside d0, if so, all you should need to do is resolder the wire onto the d0 pad of the chameleon.

You can look at a pic of the topside and underside d0 points in This teamxodus iceguide. Yes its a guide for the xenium, but it shows the d0 points on page 14 & 15 (underside is on 15)

#3 polybus

polybus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

The wire certainly wraps around to somewhere underneath the board. I didn't feel like taking out my motherboard since I don't have a torque screw driver handy but I assume since we can see the D0 point on the chip with the solder and wire piece that the wire belongs there. I brought it to work to use their soldering iron so I will let you know once I get home and test it if it worked.

Thanks Bullwinkle, I was going to PM you if no one answered because I saw some of your other posts and you seem knowledgeable.

PS what is the advantage to having a short D0 wire?

#4 Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:55 PM

as with any voltage/data down a wire..the shorter the distance..the less attenuation (sp??) ..ie:.loss of signal. smile.gif ...not to mention interference from other components

Edited by Bullwinkle, 02 August 2005 - 06:56 PM.

#5 MonsterTy

MonsterTy

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

I agree, it is probably the D0 wire. Just to be safe, since you didn't do the original install, I would remove the board and double check.

#6 polybus

polybus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:23 PM

Well the soldering onto the D0 didn't work. It still FRAGs every time I try to boot. Oh, well. I am taking it to a pro installer soon to see if he can figure it out or hook me up with a new chip.

#7 Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:02 AM

wow..sorry i didnt think of this sooner (not that it matters now...hopefully your modder can fix you up)

If youre fraggin without the chip in place, you've got more issues than the modchip not working, possibly a cut trace or lifted pad (if the tug on the wire was hard enough, you may have lifted the trace or pad of the d0 on the underside, which will cause a frag.

hopefully the modder catches that...good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users