xbint

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

As said before this guy is talking absolute sh*t to you:

"evolution chip" -its got evolution-x dashboard (software) on it

"dvd x" -dvd region x, a program that plays dvd's & ignores region checks

"samsung reader witha maxtor drive capppacity" well that to me makes no sense - a dvd drive can't have capacity they just read dvd's.

given his blatant lies about dvd drive (maybe he had to change the lens?) & all the rest of it. I also reckon it would just be softmodded & a few apps put on it by an auto-install package - something you could very easily do yourself.

This also makes me dubious about having 80gig hard drive.

but anyway i'm sure by the time you've read the previous posts you've already decided not to get.

What you should do is get cheap second hand xbox preferably version 1-1.5 & get a solderless chip & put in yourself. It really is very easy once you've read all the guides & a sense of achievment.

You can also softmod but i'd reccomend chip as its easier to sort out problems if things go wrong cos you can always ftp into the box & its really easy to change hard drive.

#17 jeff006

jeff006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:55 PM

Thank you for your help. Now that I heard you all and I decided not to buy this unit, I got another offer from a different seller. Could you please tell me what you think about this one?

This modded XBOX has a solder pinheader installed SmartXX v2. No faulty or unreliable solderless modchips here. With this modchip you can play backup games, SNES NES Genesis Gameboy etc, Xbox Media Center (use it as an HTPC, or burn your movies and music to the harddrive), and you can even install Linux. It also has some mods on it including a passive heatsink to make it less noisy, and an ATA133 cable to make it load faster. It includes 2 controllers (one s one normal), USB homebrew converter, DVD dongle kit, Xbox live headset module for controller, and the cables. This modchip can be turned off so you don't get banned on XBOX live. Price is $150.

#18 R.E.A.

R.E.A.

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, marijuana, other stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:21 AM

Haha I'm still new to xbox modding and I can see something wrong with that.
First of all, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think changing the ATA cable would make it load faster, if the motherboard is only ATA33, a "faster cable" won't do anything. If I'm wrong then I'll remember that for when I change my HDD.
Also, it's not the modchip that allows you to play those old console games, it's the emulators and those can easily be downloaded and FTP'd onto the xbox(or burned to a disc and played that way.)
-R.E.A.

Edited by R.E.A., 03 August 2005 - 12:23 AM.

#19 fst00

fst00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

Well, llamma sells upgraded ata cables that are xbox size and folded into shape, they had an article about games loading a bit faster too and I think they are a reputable site so there maybe something to that ata-133 cable stuff, but I'm still not personally convinced.

#20 jeff006

jeff006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:51 AM

As far as the rest of the stuff that this unit has, do you think it is worth $150?

#21 chillyduk

chillyduk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:51 AM

sounds to me like you need to find a new source of buying info mate
if you really wanna part with your money then you can give it to me
biggrin.gif

#22 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:20 AM

That actually sounds like a better deal, because it sounds like he modded it first hand, knows the chip that he put in, and you get two controllers. I would check the dvd drive to make sure that it is not a Thomson, then I would buy it.

#23 scabbsss jr

scabbsss jr

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:29 AM

Fake, don't even waste your time. Were did you find this any way?

#24 jeff006

jeff006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE(scabbsss jr @ Aug 3 2005, 02:40 AM)
Fake, don't even waste your time.

View Post

Why do you think it is a fake?

#25 jeff006

jeff006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(oxjeremy334 @ Aug 3 2005, 02:31 AM)
I would check the dvd drive to make sure that it is not a Thomson, then I would buy it.

View Post

I just asked the seller about the drive, and below is his reply. Could someone please comment on this issue with a Thomson drive? Why is it not recommended to get an xBox with a Thomson drive?

It has a thomson drive. Many will tell you Hitachi drives are the best but in reality it breaks down that Thomsons can read nearly and DVD media and not much CD-R Media. Hitachis are better at reading CD-Rs though and not the best at dvds. If you are backing up games the Thomson is better. With this modchip you dont need to use CDs to install things as for the most part you can just FTP over a network.

Edited by jeff006, 03 August 2005 - 06:51 AM.

#26 kermit007

kermit007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

Unable to control CAPS LOCK = don't even bother...

#27 jeff006

jeff006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(kermit007 @ Aug 3 2005, 06:21 PM)
Unable to control CAPS LOCK = don't even bother...

View Post

Sorry, as a newby, I don't understand what you are saying. Could you please explain why people don't recommend Thomson drives?

#28 kermit007

kermit007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:18 PM

If someone (the suposid seller) can't control thier CAPS LOCK it's wise to stay far far away. As for why Thompsons sux the donkey balls is because it's the early drive Xboxes come with and are the most prone to DRE (disk read error...you get to buy a new drive for the xbox!).

#29 Dagoth

Dagoth

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

Old Tompson drives are notoriously bad for loading certain types of backup media (ie will only recognise CD-RW and certain DVD-r & +R's)

#30 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

Poeple tell you to stear clear of them becasue they dont read cd-r's.. Mine reads some random ones Mainly I sitck to cd-rw's for it.. It is ver finicky with them also. You should take into consideration that all these people tell you they suck becasue they dont read cd-rs.. Well that's well and great but it's a dvd-rom drive. You should be ok with a thompson if you plan to be modding boxes frequently and want to go through all types of media get a smsung, otherwise a thomson will treat you jsut fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users