Photo

Softmod Installer Deluxe V2.0 /any Good ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 senna

senna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

smile.gif i have a modded xbox .(so i know something about modding) but my brother in law wants that i softmod his xbox (doesnt want me to open his xbox).
so now iam planning to use "SOFTMOD INSTALLER DELUXE v2.0" to do the softmod.

1)this program any good?
2)are there anything i should mind while softmodding? (things i should lookout for?)
3)is it difficult to do ?
4)if i f*ck it up can it be repaired easiely ?(with or without opening the xbox?)

5)are there any things i need to tell him ,things he cant do with his softmod ,things he should look out for while using it ?

is it correct that the softmod installer is only something of a 17 MB big?

thx for taking the time to read all my stuff smile.gif

#2 Horscht

Horscht

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

1. it's an adequate (sp?) softmod
2. nothing realy. Just don't power it off during the instalation
3. no. Instalation is easy. The most difficult part is getting the savegamr onto your Memory Unit/FAT-X formated USB stick
4. You can't realy f*ck up the instalation. You can f-up the softmod afterwards, but as long as you keep a original MS backup (both on your computer and your xbox) and never delete the savegame of the exploitable game, you should be set.
5. This is the point where SID looses. It can easily be fucked up by a person who doesn't have a clue what he's doing. SID uses PBL, which loads a hacked BIOS. Krayzie's installer on the other hand (Get Krayzie's!!! it's much better for tech-idiots tongue.gif ) uses nkpatcher with a shadowC drive, hiding the original sensitive C-drive.

17 megs looks too big to me, as it's supposed to fit onto an 8Mb AR. Might be the complete package, tho.

so all in all: get Krayzie's installer. It's available in the "usual place"

xbox\exploits\_Packages\

#3 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

I agree with all that Horscht said except remeber that once you have the mod running the first thing you should do is FTP a BACKUP OF YOU EEPROM to your PC. This will bail you out of any problem that you may have. The file you need is eeprom.bin and is in the E:\dashboard\backup assuming that you do use Krayzies installer which I recommend.

#4 jink

jink

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:36 PM

I used SID 2.0 when I first modded my box, and I must add that it is complete garbage.

Some games will cause the xbox to go to the green service screen, usually those requiring xbox live updates. A pain in the ass I must say. Secondly, live was not an option, and it sucked not being able to do so.

Not only can I go on live with krayzie's mod, but I have yet to experience a service screen.

Stay away from SID, and get krayzie's mod. Might as well do it right if you're going into the trouble of modding your box.

Good luck.

#5 Much

Much

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

SID uses PBL? Ewww thats old then......

#6 Ming3r

Ming3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:06 PM

Lets see...

SID 2.0 uses PBL, but you can easily get SID3.0 in the Auto Installer Deluxe 2.1 final package. The filesize is large due to the fact that includes hte SC, Agent Under Fire and Mechassault mods...

I use SID because well, I got used to it, even though Krayzie's is probalby better.

And just having a switch instaead of recopying the C drive stuff is a big plus too, lol.

#7 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:26 PM

You guys need to get SID 3.0. It gives you the option of installing PBL + M$ dash OR NKpatcher + M$ dash.

If you have problems with some games giving error messages, it's because you softmodded on an older dash. Update to the latest M$ dash prior to softmodding your xbox and you won't have a problem with a game trying to update your dash.

Lastly, live IS an option. Coldboot your xbox and you can get on XBL.

I've done this on 5 boxes this past month and I know for a fact 2 of them are working just fine with Xbox Live. The other 3 were sold to guys who didn't have DSL or Cable modems.

So to answer your question.... SID 2.0 is crap. You need to get SID 3.0 AND Auto Installer 2.1 FINAL

SID isn't as popular as Krayzie's, but does the job just as well.

**Alex**

#8 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:30 AM

So he finally switched to Npatcher...No wonder. Anyway I would still have to look at it if it's any good and not just some rip-off. I doubt he is even aware of the Ndure factor lately.

#9 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(krayzie @ Aug 3 2005, 10:41 PM)
So he finally switched to Npatcher...No wonder. Anyway I would still have to look at it if it's any good and not just some rip-off. I doubt he is even aware of the Ndure factor lately.

View Post

Ndure? Nope.... didn't see anything about Ndure in either product DJB produces.

Here's some stuff he wrote about SID 3.0:

"Welcome to Softmod Installer Deluxe v3.0. This version is not so much of an update as the older versions were, but a total re-design on the main softmod itself. The older versions were using PBL (Phoenix BIOS Loader) and 2 BIOS files for the tray open and closed booting methods, where now it uses a Dual-Habibi boot file which will launch two different versionos of Nkpatcher v10.

Why use Nkpatcher you ask? Because of the fact that it can automatically block Xbox Live, which is a smart idea on a softmodded Xbox. The Softmod menu will also give you the option of where you want your Xbox to boot from, so you can make it boot to E Drive if you wish instead of C."

Edited by Alex548, 04 August 2005 - 05:39 AM.

#10 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Aug 4 2005, 06:47 AM)
Ndure? Nope.... didn't see anything about Ndure in either product DJB produces.

Here's some stuff he wrote about SID 3.0:

"Welcome to Softmod Installer Deluxe v3.0. This version is not so much of an update as the older versions were, but a total re-design on the main softmod itself. The older versions were using PBL (Phoenix BIOS Loader) and 2 BIOS files for the tray open and closed booting methods, where now it uses a Dual-Habibi boot file which will launch two different versionos of Nkpatcher v10.

Why use Nkpatcher you ask? Because of the fact that it can automatically block Xbox Live, which is a smart idea on a softmodded Xbox. The Softmod menu will also give you the option of where you want your Xbox to boot from, so you can make it boot to E Drive if you wish instead of C."

View Post

Well as you can see he totally missed the point of nkpatcher here. Xbox live blocking has been a bios feature for ages and has nothing to do with nkpatcher. It may be wiser for DJB to visit the X-S forums some more instead of brewing together old stuff.

Edited by krayzie, 04 August 2005 - 03:47 PM.

#11 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

Isn't he banned?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users