• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kleptophobiac

kleptophobiac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:54 AM

I have a version 1.0 xbox. It now has a Samsung DVD drive, a WD1200JB hard drive, and an xecuter 2.6CE.

Using the original hard drive, Evox worked perfectly. I want to copy games to my hard drive so I don't have to tote them around lose them. Well, I popped in my DOA3 DVD, and lo and behold I had almost no disk space left afterwards. Given the need for more hard drive space, I went to my shelf and pulled a Western Digital 120GB drive. I know those aren't lockable, but I don't play xbox live, so I don't care. I plug in the HDD and boot my EvoX CDRW. Evolution comes up with no problems. I fire up FileZilla and go through and format the partitions. I transfer my HDD backup (bone stock MS) plus the evolutionX and dvd2xbox program.

When I ejected the CDRW and rebooted, evox came up like normal. When I tried to launch dvd2xbox (which worked before) all I got was a black screen with a green swirl and evolution X printed in the middle. When I rebooted and tried to launch a game DVD (Halo and DOA3), I got similar behavior. Pressing the eject button reboots the box. It hangs there permanently until I do something to stop it.

So I thought I formatted the drive improperly, and fired up the gentoox CD, and had it format the drive. When gentoox was finished installing, it booted up OK (except for a bad X configuration that garbled the screen, but I'm sure I can fix that). Apparently gentoox works fine on my hard drive, though I can't launch anything from EvoX.

Forgive me if this is a common problem, but I swear I searched. Maybe my search abilities suck, but I beg mercy and guidance. Thank you.

#2 IAmCanadian

IAmCanadian

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:01 AM

try using slayers, it works wonders

#3 kleptophobiac

kleptophobiac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:27 AM

I honestly don't think that slayer's is going to help me any... installing evox was a walk in the park, and it works on my original hard drive.

That said, I'm not stuck up enough not to take the advice and try it.

#4 kleptophobiac

kleptophobiac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:05 AM

OK, I used slayer's to format the hard drive. Then I FTP'd in and restored what was on my original hard drive (MS dash and some game saves). After that I uploaded evox root C, and dvd2xbox on f:\apps\ (in its own subdirectory). I'm getting the exact same behavior.

Letting slayer do its full install didn't work either.

#5 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

I know why! Because with your stock hard drive, it was launching everything from the E drive (stocks don't have an F drive) Now that you have an upgraded hard drive, you must change your evox.ini file so that it looks on the F drive instead of the E drive. I think so anyways?

#6 kleptophobiac

kleptophobiac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:29 AM

Negative, it's set to check F: as well. Also, I can't load original xbox games from their DVD's.

#7 kleptophobiac

kleptophobiac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:16 AM

Here's the evox.ini in case anybody wants to scrutinize it:

http://pastebin.com/328938

#8 glnwst

glnwst

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:57 AM

I know this isn't really help for your problem but I would try a different dash. I don't really understand why people still use evox. There are so many better dashes out there. At least give it a try and see if you have the same problem.

#9 kleptophobiac

kleptophobiac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:23 AM

I tried avalaunch, but still had the same problem. I did just now fix it, however, by reflashing. I flashed the exact same BIOS, but it seems I may have just had an ever so slightly bad flash when I upgraded the HDD.

#10 glnwst

glnwst

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:21 AM

Glad to hear you got it worked out. It did sound like a pretty strange problem. Guess thats why I didnt have a very helpful solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users