• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sergejg

sergejg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:18 AM

Hello, I some newbie questions. Here is my case.

For the past 2 years I have been extremely happy with my modded Xbox (which I bought already with the mod chip, I didn't installed it). I have been able to play most of the games (sadly SSX 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 backups wont run) And although I know my Xbox and modchip are old I never had a problem but the other day I saw how a friend runned some cool emulators from his Evolution X dashboard and I wanted to install Evolution X on my Xbox to be able to play some snes and arcade games too.

After searching a lot of information and looking up for software to help me get some diagnostics on my Xbox I used something called Xbox Ultimate Boot CD v.4.0 from Xbox-board.de. The disc includes semes to include some dashboard installations, emulators, applications and some diagnosis tools.

I tried to do some diagnosis and I found out I have the following:
-----------------------------------------------
Xbox version: Xbox v1.1
Video Encoder: connexant

only two partitions with some MB
C: with 499.92 MB (333.89 MB are free
and E: with 4,881.63 MB (4,395 free)

protected BIOS
Chip Type- > Mod Chip
Using Genuine BIOS -> Evox M7
-----------------------------------------------
(told you its an old Xbox, I read most of the stuff like the bios is obsolete).

The DVD drive is a Phillips. And the modchip if I remember correctly is a Xecuter 1 or 2, I can't remember correctly (and I don't want to open my xbox to find out cause I feel I could mess up something).

So my question is. With this kind of obsolete system (only 5gb in HDD, old modchip and an old BIOS) could I be able to run evolution X dashboard? I feel tempted to install it simply by using the install option that comes on the "ultimate boot CD v4" that I downloaded but I just want to be sure I won't damage my Xbox. In case its safe to use that install option for the dashboard and the emulators do I need to backup first my MS dashboard with some ftp software? Do I need to create more partitions? If it is possible I would like to alter the least possible, right I play the games thru the original dashboard so I am not familiar at all with Evolution X or any other alternative.

Also I would like to know if you guys think it would be good to update my BIOS, I read all over that Evox M7 is obsolete and maybe that is the reason why I can't play SSX and MEtalgear. If it's worth it I will go for it, but it seems kind of complicated to find out what mod chip I have in order to know if I need a 256kb or 1 MB bios.

Thanks smile.gif

#2 mcbraders

mcbraders

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:blah
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:03 AM

t'aint that old to be fair lol least you have a 1.1 with the samsung drive lets you play most backups but if ur wanting to install evox an its ur first time you should use slayers auto installer or some sort of auto installer it installs numerous apps an emulators with the dashboard aswell so it should save you some time an also you dont only have 5 gig on ur hdd you'll probably have 10 because i have a 1.1 an i got 10 with mine extra 2 on F partition tongue.gif the reason you only think youve got 5 gig is because you cant see the X Y Z partitions right

#3 sergejg

sergejg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(mcbraders @ Aug 4 2005, 10:14 AM)
t'aint that old to be fair lol least you have a 1.1 with the samsung drive lets you play most backups but if ur wanting to install evox an its ur first time you should use slayers auto installer or some sort of auto installer it installs numerous apps an emulators with the dashboard aswell so it should save you some time an also you dont only have 5 gig on ur hdd you'll probably have 10 because i have a 1.1 an i got 10 with mine extra 2 on F partition  tongue.gif  the reason you only think youve got 5 gig is because you cant see the X Y Z partitions right

View Post

thanks mcbraders. I start to undertand how it all works. I actually did some emulation installation with Ultimate Boot Cd v4 and they work perfectly but I still haven't installed evolution X dashboard. I hope I find the other 5 gb Im not able to locate because the installer says I have 0gb on F:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users