11 replies to this topic

#1 bengali

bengali

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

So, now that I have my HD issues resolved, I would like to bring up some interesting things I have found about Movie DVD playback so that others can enlighten me or learn from what I have found.

This started because I read another post where someone was bashing the XBOX because it could only play Movie DVDs in 480i, even though games supported the other resolutions. I did some research and found this isn't exactly true. Most of what I found however was years old, from 2002 or so. It seemed that some people did have some HEX hacks that enabled 480p, but there wasn't alot of information. As I read on it appeared to me that this must be a non-issue anymore and either no-one cares about 480p playback or else it must have already been integrated into today's software.

I use two DVD players DVDX and Avalaunch's built in player and so my tests were done with the two of these.

Test One:
X3 chip Settings:
480p ON
720p ON
1080i ON
Widescreen ON
Letterbox OFF

- In DVDX I was only able to get 480i
- In Avalaunch I was able to get 1080i

Test Two
X3 chip Settings:
480p ON
720p ON
1080i OFF
Widescreen ON
Letterbox OFF

- In Avalaunch I was able to get 720p

Test Three
X3 chip Settings:
480p ON
720p OFF
1080i OFF
Widescreen ON
Letterbox OFF

- In Avalaunch I was able to get 480i

Test Four
X3 chip Settings:
480p ON
720p OFF
1080i OFF
Widescreen OFF
Letterbox ON

- In Avalaunch I was able to get 480p

Now, obviously all current generation DVDs are no higher than 480 resolution. When Avalaunch was able to display them in 720p and 1080i there is obvious scaling going on. I was able to see certain qualities about the image that I found lacking when scaled up to these levels. I didn't do comprehensive tests, and maybe others will find the image better in some regards, so I tell you it is possible to display DVD Movies in 720p and 1080i.

In addition, by setting the Letterbox to ON in my fourth test I was able to get 480p output. Again, I didn't do enough tests to compare the image quality to 480i, but at first glance it seemed AT LEAST equal to the 480i settings, and thus you will probably have the advantages during faster motion with the 480p settings.

So, these are my findings. I hope someone finds them interesting at least.

What I am looking for is what others have found to be the optimal DVD Movie playback experience with the XBOX.

Does anyone have another method to get 480p? Does anyone use another DVD playback software that has enhanced resplution features?

Let me know what you think.

#2 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, BT, dvdshrink, messing with electronics, Half.com selling.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

i use is dvdx2, hacked for 480p. This functions just like a dvd player for a normal tv.

There is a simple hex edit out there (in the pinned topic, where you can hexedit the file to play movies in 480p but not autoselect).

this means i have one dvdx2 for 480i, and one for 480p. They are two seperate icons in my xbmc which i use as a dash.

this works great for me.

the hex edits are as follows. note that they are for version 2 not version 1.

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Jan 9 2004, 02:38 AM)
Search for: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 04
Replace with: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 05 (progressive only; no auto-select)

a free hex editor for windows:
http://www.chmaas.ha...xvi32/xvi32.htm

Edited by leeloo5, 11 August 2005 - 09:05 PM.

#3 Bobsf40

Bobsf40

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

I seem to be having trouble playing only real, purchased dvd movies on my box.

Specs:
Soft Mod(Splinter cell)
Evox Dashboard
XBMC 1.1.0
New Hard drive, 80gig IBM
Xbox 1.6

In Evox i have set the region to 'Defult', that is the only way i can play all games and get into XBMC, if i set it to NTSC, it just freezes.

I'm realy not sure what the problem is. I have not been able to figure out a pattern yet. I can play any divx, or xvid no problem, no matter what the rez

BTW - I am running in HD, and have 480p, 720p enabled.

Any help?

Edited by Bobsf40, 13 August 2005 - 04:28 PM.

#4 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

I would launch dvdx2 to play dvds. if you want to run that program in HD, hex edit the default.xbe as i stated above.

dvdx2 is really the best solution for dvds as you can use the menu options and its pretty easy to navigate.

You should be able to launch this from evox, and then put the dvd in.

xbmc should also work, but i'm not sure if it plays dvds in HD or not. your best bet is dvdx2.

#5 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:37 AM

By all means, use xbmc for dvd playback. Not only does it support 720p and 1080i upscaled dvd playback, the picture quality is the best of all of them, and you can tweak the hell out of all the picture settings. The only problem, is there is no menu support, and not all dvds work.

My second option is the built in avalaunch dvd playback. As you mentioned, it supports the higher resolutions, and supports menu support.

My third option would be a hexed 480p edited original ms dvd playback, or the hexed 480p dvdx2.

beerchug.gif

EDIT: I particularily recommend the upscaled 720p dvd playback if you are using a pc monitor via a transcoder, because the picture quality (no scan lines) is noticably better in the higher res.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 14 August 2005 - 09:42 AM.

#6 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

I use DVDX2 with the auto select hexedit patch. Works great on both 480i and 480p.
I don't use the MS DVD player. I think it's still 480i.

With the patches and the X3 chip and bios, my XBox does progressive 100% of the time.

What I really want is a DVD player that is
1) Region free
2) Progressive
3) Works with the XBox remote.
4) Supports DVD menus.

I have yet to find one that does all 4.

#7 bengali

bengali

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE(TrigunXBox @ Aug 14 2005, 05:25 PM)
1) Region free
2) Progressive
4) Supports DVD menus.

View Post

I'm pretty sure that the MS dashboard does all 4.
There is a hex edit posted on these forums that will make it Region Free and Progressive 480p (2 diffrerent hex edits).

The MS dashboard is fully functional with DVDs (supports menus) as well as supports the remote (assuming you have the dongle).

#8 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(TrigunXBox @ Aug 14 2005, 11:25 PM)
I use DVDX2 with the auto select hexedit patch.  Works great on both 480i and 480p.
I don't use the MS DVD player. I think it's still 480i.

With the patches and the X3 chip and bios, my XBox does progressive 100% of the time.

1) Region free
2) Progressive
4) Supports DVD menus.

View Post

Avalaunch's dvd playback does as well (supports all 4 of your listings), plus supports 720p and 1080i.

#9 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

A patched up MS dash DVD player is ok, but it does not have any type of on screen menus. Some of my home-made DVDs don't have menus so I have to select the auto track in the DVD players menu.

avalaunch is good, but I can't figure out how to remove the x-mas pin-up loading screen, so I gave up on it.

Thanks for the tips tho.

#10 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(TrigunXBox @ Aug 16 2005, 07:45 PM)
A patched up MS dash DVD player is ok, but it does not have any type of on screen menus. Some of my home-made DVDs don't have menus so I have to select the auto track in the DVD players menu.

avalaunch is good, but I can't figure out how to remove the x-mas pin-up loading screen, so I gave up on it.

Thanks for the tips tho.

View Post

Update your avalauch core via the dashboard to get rid of the xmas logo on startup; why in the hell would that effect dvd playback? You only see it on boot up.

#11 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:42 PM

Ah, I didn't see that option to update. Cool, it works. The xmas logo does not affect playback, but people look at you strang if that is the first thing that pops up. Nothing aginst Anime. I have more of it then anyone here, but still.... smile.gif

#12 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:52 PM

haha, i remember when i first tried avalaunch and it was that screen, people were thinking, "wtf is this" and i just said thats what it came like.

but, if you look in the avalaunch directory, there is a file that is that picture, and you can replace it with another if you want.

I mainly use my xbox for games, emu's, and videos, so xbmc works better for me (i like the custom icons). So no more avalaunch. I did a lot of work on making my own loading screen and avalaunch skin, oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users