• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iikai

iikai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:08 PM

I'm having serious problems with my xbox and panny ae700. Xbox is originally a PAL box, modded with a smartXX v2 (the lazy-man's super tool) then changed to a NTSC box.

I bought the x2vga+ in hopes of a better picture quality, but now that I plug it in, the "normal" 480i picture is messed up, over streched and horrible to see. 480p, 720p and 1080i are working perfectly. Also, before the time of having the x2vga, NTSC 480i was working through RGB scart, without a problem.

I can go around the 480i problem in games etc. but I'm also using the box to see movies, and that's where the problem hits me. the M$ dash's player is messed up, over scanned and horizontal lines. dvdx2 dongle free player does the same. with XBMC I was able to get the DVDs play at 720p, but the problem is the missing support for the menus and the system hangs too often when changing ie. audio and subtitle settings.

From what I've understood, people are getting a decent 480i picture quality with the x2vga+ adapter and panny ae700.

so in short, with xbox w\smartxx v2, ae700 and x2vga+ has a crappy quality with 480i.

should I get a better player?

btw. which build of xbmc you lot use?

Thanks in advance!

#2 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, BT, dvdshrink, messing with electronics, Half.com selling.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

i use the newest xbmc, but my question is if you are using the x2vga to display the 480i image? or are you using your other cables.

If you use the original cables, i dont see how there could be a problem. I also dont see how the x2vga could be a problem since it functions just like a normal component xbox cable.

if you are using some type of output from the x2vga to connect to a tv, i'd suggest not doing so (i dont have an x2vga so i dont know if this is how it works).

There are some switches on the device, you might try messing with these. I know one switches from composite to vga, and you might have to switch this when you switch displays.

#3 iikai

iikai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

yes, I'm using the x2vga for 480i as well as for everything else. When I'm trying to see a DVD, the players I use do it in 480i. Other end of the x2vga is xbox and the other Panasonic 700AE projector. so it's vga all the way. No weird connection styles.

Perhaps there is a better DVD player, but my knowledge is restricted to dvdx-2 dongle free, gueux-dvdx and xbmc.

I've messed my head with the switches.

and now I feel like blink.gif

#4 raydn

raydn

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:06 AM

someone else will have more info about the x2vga than I have to hand but the x2vga doesn't really support 480i; uses ?clearview? to make it show something rather than nothing...

you can patch the ms dash with a 480p hex to get it to display dvd playback in without these problems

#5 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:49 AM

yeah, the x2vga doesnt really display 480i as far as i know. the easier solution is to hex edit both the msdash (if you want) and or the dvdx2 program.

I have my dvdx2 play in 480p. You will need to make a copy of the default.xbe of dvdx2, and hex edit it. then i'd rename it to something like default480p.xbe. or you could make another folder for the 480p version, and replace the default.xbe with the hex edited one.

Here are the hex edits.

QUOTE(foe-hammer)
For dvdx-2, open its default.xbe:

Search for: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 04
Replace with: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 05 (progressive only; no auto-select)

a free hex editor for windows:
http://www.chmaas.ha...xvi32/xvi32.htm

#6 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:52 AM

forgot to put the hex edits for msdash:

QUOTE(Foe-hammer)
For the original ms xbox dashboard, open xboxdash.xbe in a hex editor:

Search for: C7 46 28 20 00 00 00
Replace with: C7 46 28 40 00 00 00, for progressive only
Replace with: C7 46 28 00 00 00 00, for auto selection

#7 iikai

iikai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:16 AM

wow! nice. Thank you! tongue.gif

Soon I shall be enjoying the DVDs tongue.gif pop.gif

#8 grandmaster_b

grandmaster_b

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

I am thinking of buying 2 of these adaptors I use 1 xbox for movies, gaming and as Extender its hooked up to my projector currently using component I think the picture is great would I see a lot of imporvment with this adaptor ?
My other xbox I use as as an extender hooked into my LCD TV which has a VGA input I am using crappy composite at the moment so I know I would see imprvement there the question is should I buy 1 or 2 ?
Thanks guys any comens on people who have gone from component to this device or just this device in general.
Also with the hex editing to 480p is this possible with the UIX dash ? if so what files do I need to edit and where are they located.
Thanks.

#9 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

i'm not sure about the UIX dash.

If you want to buy an adapter, i'd buy one and see how it works for you.

for almost all games and all dvds, its much cheaper to make an adapter (check my sig for a tutorial). it only costs about $20 to make a cable, and is fairly easy, so 2 would be $40 instead of $160 for 2 x2vga adapters.

If your projector is running in HD mode, then there will be no improvement since the x2vga and homemade cable will output the same signal as the component.

If your TV supports 480p, i'd suggest running an xbox component cable to it. these cables are only about $10 used at gamestop or on ebay.

Since both of these displays probably accept YPbPr component input, there is no point in buying an adapter.

also, if these displays support 480i (as they probably do), theres no reason to need to hex edit the msdash or the UIX dash since it will show up, and who really needs the dash to be in 480p?

#10 grandmaster_b

grandmaster_b

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE(leeloo5 @ Aug 12 2005, 08:01 PM)
i'm not sure about the UIX dash.

If you want to buy an adapter, i'd buy one and see how it works for you.

for almost all games and all dvds, its much cheaper to make an adapter (check my sig for a tutorial).  it only costs about $20 to make a cable, and is fairly easy, so 2 would be $40 instead of $160 for 2 x2vga adapters.

If your projector is running in HD mode, then there will be no improvement since the x2vga and homemade cable will output the same signal as the component.

If your TV supports 480p, i'd suggest running an xbox component cable to it.  these cables are only about $10 used at gamestop or on ebay.

Since both of these displays probably accept YPbPr component input, there is no point in buying an adapter.

also, if these displays support 480i (as they probably do), theres no reason to need to hex edit the msdash or the UIX dash since it will show up, and who really needs the dash to be in 480p?

View Post

Thanks for your response my main issue is that I like the UIX dvd player but it only plays dvds in 480i I was just wondering if it was possible to hex edit it to 480p like you can with DVD-X2. On my projector I currently run it on component I was just womdering if this lead would give better picture quality because I am always looking to improve things smile.gif

Edited by grandmaster_b, 14 August 2005 - 11:50 AM.

#11 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

component is going to be better than an x2vga picture, so i'd stick with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users