incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:46 AM

According to CNET, MS's newest licensing model for the next-generation XBox will effectively lock out 3rd-party accessory manufacturers who don't enroll in MS's licensing and royalty program. The new console will employ hardware security mechanisms to ensure that only products created by developers willing to fork over cash to MS can connect to and work with the console. Is MS shooting itself in the foot by making traditional 'approved product' licensing mandatory for 3rd-party developers? Or will companies line up by the dozens to tithe to King Bill? Finally, will Sony follow a similar strategy to eke additional revenues out of its PlayStation 3?

They werent kidding when they said they were gonna make a profit this time blink.gif

although i think its more of a security issue than a profit issue

#2 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:00 AM

Goodbye Action Replay.

#3 Andy51

Andy51

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:08 AM

Hello Hacking your xbox and FTPing saves to it...

#4 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(Andy51 @ Aug 10 2005, 09:19 PM)
Hello Hacking your xbox and FTPing saves to it...

View Post

I have a modchip and I do that anyways. But for the peeps that want to softmod, they are fuxx0r3d.

#5 mikeandbandit

mikeandbandit

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:15 AM

this has much less to do with money and much more to do with hack prevention. especially for those who planned to add a keyboard and mouse onto their 360. basically no mod chips, no cheater unauthorized hardware.

#6 The.Deceitful

The.Deceitful

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:28 AM

I don't think that AR is a viable way to uphold a consoles reliability on 3rd party manufactuers. There are other ways to mod, I believe more so on the X360 with all that has been revealed. I think that MS is making a smart move on this one. In a way I think it will ensure reliability and durability, along with MS' "seal of approval", with these 3rd party licensed peripherals. You have to admit that other than MS' controllers and Logitech's Precision (wired) and Wireless controllers were the most solid and durable controllers, and I have had the unfortunate experience of using some of the crappiest 3rd party controllers at friends' house's. "Ohh, I have plenty of controllers..." That's why I bring my own. =) This license agreement may cause these products to be up in the price range that MS wants to compensate for the royalties they must pay. But if it means having a nice Logitech Wireless Headset to accompany the controller on launch, that would be great in my opinion. Logitech did state they will have one peripheral at launch, not specified, but this would make sense, or MS will likely have one themselves. Just a thought to embelosh on what I think...

#7 mirx999

mirx999

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:18 AM

And besides, paying royalties to MS isn't a big deal cause with official products, manufacturers can charge a lot more per unit. Think about it, the Mad Catz/Nyko/other 3rd party wireless controllers for the PS2 go for about 30 bucks. But in comparison, the officially licensed (and much nicer) Logitech model goes for 45-50. If manufacturers can sell their peripherals for more money, you can damn well believe the small royalties will be a moot point for them. And, it'll ensure that we don't get shitty accessories.

#8 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:27 AM

Yes i been through alot of controllers too, but i still have my stock ms controllers working fine. Both Japanese and duke. I have a logitech wireless and thats pretty reliable too. Anything else usually last a couple days at my house. I call them disposable controllers rolleyes.gif

#9 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:03 AM

My only concern now is 3rd parties developing a way to use original xbox controllers via usb. This might make it more difficult then what it would have been before.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

just another protection mechanism to hack around sleeping.gif

#11 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

just another protection mechanism to hack around

yes but this makes things harder to hack, similar to what foe hammer said. Something tells me that hacking the 360 is not gonna be fun......

#12 ninjax

ninjax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Custom case mod's<br />Aikido<br />paintball (2002 Autococker Tricked out)

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(incognegro @ Aug 11 2005, 09:12 AM)
yes but this makes things harder to hack, similar to what foe hammer said. Something tells me that hacking the 360 is not gonna be fun......

View Post

And I cant wait to get started beerchug.gif

#13 Avenger 2.0

Avenger 2.0

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 11 2005, 02:34 PM)
just another protection mechanism to hack around  sleeping.gif

View Post

Yeah of course. But 3rd party hardware manufacturers can't put something in the stores that would require a modchipped Xbox...
You can't just buy a cheap controller/dvd remote/etc anymore like now.

Edited by Avenger 2.0, 11 August 2005 - 02:43 PM.

#14 aceman118

aceman118

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

The new console will employ hardware security mechanisms to ensure that only products created by developers willing to fork over cash to MS can connect to and work with the console.

From the article on the main site. Is this going to make it more difficult to mod do you think? To me is sounds like it may have built in security to prevent anything from working unless it has the MS seal of approval.

Also, would this make it illegal to just mod an Xbox? Before it was only illegal to run software built using the XDK correct? But if this new 3rd party business is correct would that make selling mod chips illegal?

#15 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(aceman118 @ Aug 11 2005, 10:03 AM)
Also, would this make it illegal to just mod an Xbox?

Once you put a Bios on a modchip it becomes illegal. A modchip that just sits there is worthless. Once you softmod, you have ran unsigned code....illegal. Flashing your TSOP with and illegal bios is illegal.

I wouldnt considerit any different from now. beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users