32 replies to this topic

#1 Kilopixel

Kilopixel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

Howdy,

This is a small tutorial for people who wish to play Windows games on their xbox, but don't know anything about Linux or WINE (such as myself).

Here's how I got Half-Life running on my xbox (appart from the fact that I still don't know how to set the screen to 16-bit color).
---------------------------------------
INSTALLING X-DSL
1. First download X-dsl (Damn Small Linux for Xbox) here: http://prdownloads.s...21.zip?download.
2. Extract "xdsl-0.21.iso" from the zip-file, and burn it to cd. (Use Nero or whatever burnprogram you're used to burn iso's with)
3. Put the cd in your xbox and start up. Select the cd in the blue screen that'll appear, next choose 640x480. X-dsl will startup.

PERFORMING A LOOPBACK INSTALL
4. Now rightclick (press B on your xbox-controller) and scroll to 'Apps', 'Tools', and select 'Loopback Install'. A blue window will appear. Press 'Return' on the virtual keyboard to continue, press 'Return' again in the next window. Now you're allowed to select how many mb's of hd-space you'll allow X-dsl to take up. It says 200 by default. Use 'Backspace' on the virtual keyboard and fill in a bigger number so you have room to install games to (maximum is 2000). I entered 1000 here myself. Press 'Return' when you've entered a number. After a couple of seconds, it'll tell you about standard & enhanced installations, press 'Return'. Next press 's' or 'e' on the virtual keyboard, depending on wether you have your xbox hooked up to the internet or not ('s' if you don't, 'e' if you do). Confirm with 'Return', and work through the following screens by pressing 'Return' untill it will perform the Loopback Install.

GETTING WINE ON YOUR XBOX
5. Reboot the xbox (without the X-dsl cd in it, which you won't need anymore now the Loopback Install's been done), and send Keo-Keo's 'xwine.dsl' (found here: http://project2k.net/xwine.dsl) over to your Xbox E: drive. I use a program called FlashFXP for this myself. If you don't know how to transfer files from your PC to your Xbox, find out how to do it first, as this step is required as far as I can see.
6. Now startup X-dsl (by using the file-explorer in your DashBoard, open 'default.xbe' in the 'KNOPPIX' folder found on E:). In the rectangular console-thing over to the right (the Slit) click on either of the little white buttons with arrows on them till it says 'hda50' in the grey box below it, that is your xbox E: drive. Then click on the little white button with what looks like a picture of nail on it to MOUNT the E: drive.
7. Then doublick 'Emelfm' on the desktop, and doubleclick 'mnt' in the list that appears, then 'hda50'. You'll see the contents of your xbox E: drive. Doubleclick 'xwine.dsl'.

INSTALLING A WINDOWS GAME
8. After you've done the above steps, take the Windows game cd of your choice and, if you don't know allready, check where the install executable is located on the cd and what it's called by exploring it's content with your pc. Usually it's called 'SETUP.EXE' or 'INSTALL.EXE'. Then pop the cd in your xbox, and mount the cdrom drive like you mounted the E: drive (using those little white buttons in the console-thingy on the right, select 'cdrom' then MOUNT it by clicking on the button with a picture of a nail on it). Notice that you can't eject the cd out of your xbox while it's mounted.
9. Then rightclick on the desktop, scroll to 'Xshells', and select 'RootAccess'. Then type in "wine /cdrom/SETUP.EXE" (unless the install executable on the game cd is found/called otherwise) and confirm with 'Return'. This should startup the game installation as if you were installing it on a pc. The rest ought to direct itself, choose where to install the game (likely the Z: drive), and complete the installation as you normally would.

PLAYING THE GAME
10. When you've installed the game, rightclick on the desktop, scroll to 'Xshells', and select 'RootAccess' again. There, type in "wine" followed by path to the game and game executable name, for example "wine /Sierra/Half-Life/HL.EXE" and hit 'Return'. This ought to boot up the game.
---------------------------------------

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Kilopixel, 13 August 2005 - 03:05 AM.

#2 thebucketmouse

thebucketmouse

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Females, marching band, computers, etc
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:58 AM

Now for extra credit, try to get the Graal client (www.graalonline.com) to work. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#3 Santa_May_Cry

Santa_May_Cry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:48 PM

Next stop...half life 2 biggrin.gif

lol

whats the specs so i know my limits? and with a loopbackinstall, does that take over my xbox? like does it start me default dash when the xbox starts? and i select xdsl from apps or somethin?

#4 Kilopixel

Kilopixel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:18 AM

Santa_May_Cry,

I never upgraded my xbox, it still has the original specs.
But I don't know wether this is enough to run a game like Half-Life (probably not unsure.gif ) since I still haven't seen it in action properly, as I stil keep running into xdsl/wine-related problems.

A loopback install doesn't take over your xbox, it simply copies some files over to your xbox hd. You can then startup xdsl by using your dashboards' file-explorer and selecting the "default.xbe" located in the "KNOPPIX" folder that'll be placed on your xbox hd by the loopback install. Or you can make a lil shortcut that allows you to startup xdsl from apps (alter the "evox.ini" in a text editor if you have an evox dashboard).

#5 Santa_May_Cry

Santa_May_Cry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(Kilopixel @ Aug 16 2005, 05:29 PM)
Santa_May_Cry,

I never upgraded my xbox, it still has the original specs.
But I don't know wether this is enough to run a game like Half-Life (probably not unsure.gif ) since I still haven't seen it in action properly, as I stil keep running into xdsl/wine-related problems.

A loopback install doesn't take over your xbox, it simply copies some files over to your xbox hd. You can then startup xdsl by using your dashboards' file-explorer and selecting the "default.xbe" located in the "KNOPPIX" folder that'll be placed on your xbox hd by the loopback install. Or you can make a lil shortcut that allows you to startup xdsl from apps (alter the "evox.ini" in a text editor if you have an evox dashboard).

View Post

ok thanks i tried it out, im good to go, its exactly what i wanted ealier

i have 1 issue though, it seems that the display is larger and its not formatted to the screen, like im getting stuff cut off...anything to fix this?

#6 Kilopixel

Kilopixel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

Santa_May_Cry,

if your display looks like this user posted image then you're fine and not missing anything (as far as I know).

Be warned that getting a Windows game to run in XDSL with WINE can be quite a job, and will certainly not work in a lot of cases. So far I've only been able to play 'KKND' user posted imageuser posted image (downloadable here), which does run at 100% speed, thereby implying that perhaps games like the old 'Command & Conquer' and 'Red Alert' can be played in XDSL with the original xbox specs (haven't checked myself). As for Half-Life, I've only gotten to the title screen so far, and get a black screen when I start a game. I can then only *hear* stuttering ingame audio.

I'd like to know who succeeded in getting Windows games to run in XDSL with WINE, and which games that are. Please post your succes story up here if you got a Windows game running biggrin.gif

#7 Kilopixel

Kilopixel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

The screenshots that I couldn't post above:
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Edited by Kilopixel, 17 August 2005 - 08:48 PM.

#8 Newflesh

Newflesh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:22 PM

can anyone mail xwine to me?

#9 Santa_May_Cry

Santa_May_Cry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

cool then, im not missing anything biggrin.gif i just felt like i needed a start menu or something lol,

2 more(hopefully last) questions

1. If i were to put a game on there, could i control it with the controller?

2. If i get a fragbox would linux recognize those as a Mouse and fully functional Keyboard? or would i have to do a USB port mod?

#10 Santa_May_Cry

Santa_May_Cry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:54 PM

sry bout the double post but its saying i dont have the permissions to edit that post

so, i did that loopback install to the F: partition(more room) and i dont see a knoppix folder...anywhere in there or E...or C...Y...X...or Z

but in the root of F i see xdlsfs it has no extention

Edited by Santa_May_Cry, 17 August 2005 - 11:55 PM.

#11 Kilopixel

Kilopixel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:14 AM

Newflesh,

if you still need xwine, let me know your email and you'll have it right away biggrin.gif

Santa_May_Cry

You can control a game with the controller, but as far as I can see, only games that require only a mouse, like point and click adventures, strategy games railshooters etc. Since the controller acts as a mouse, you can merely move the onscreen cursor around, left-click and right-click.
I don't know about a fragbox, sorry.

About not being able to see the KNOPPIX folder, try doing the loopback install to E: for now regardless of the disc space, let me know if it works. I'll look into it some more.

#12 Kilopixel

Kilopixel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:43 AM

As long as Keo-Keo's server is offline, you can get xwine from here:

http://www.angelfire...xwine.part1.rar
http://www.angelfire...xwine.part2.rar

(Copy and paste the url into your browser adress-bar, angelfire doesn't allow linking)

#13 Keo-Keo

Keo-Keo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Modded.. Shell scripting all sorts of things.

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hey sorry about the server.. I uploaded xwine.dsl to x-dsl.org you can get it here..

http://x-dsl.org/downloads/xwine.dsl

BTW nice tutorial i got tired of writing them ;-)

#14 devguy

devguy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

Pretty good tutorial. I would like to add that when you choose where to install a program, if you choose the stuff that looks like normal windows crap (program files, etc.), then you can find that under /home/mydsl and view hidden files (or root if you did it that way). If you choose the Z:/ drive, it is not reffering to the Xbox Cache drive, but to the main directory of your linux stuff (where you have src, mnt, home, etc).

I do have one question though, I installed FF7 on XDSL using Wine and it worked great. When I try to run the program, ff7 tells me to insert disc 1, 2, or 3. I put in disc one and mounted it, but it still will not run (I am running ff7.exe from /final_fantasy_7/ because there are no executables on the game discs of ff7, only game files, unlike the install disc.)

Does Wine on Xbox only allow you to run something like a demo where a cd is not needed?

Edited by devguy, 20 August 2005 - 07:13 PM.

#15 devguy

devguy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:56 AM

Bump. I also tried the demo version of Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition. It froze on loading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users